Laptop freezes randomly with WIN8.1

Diego T.

I have Toshiba laptop that I migrated to WIN8 and had no issues, once I moved 8.1 randomly the computer freezes for some minutes where I can only move the mouse and nothing happnes, even the Ctrl Alt Del does not work, but after a while the computer comes back to life and everything that I imputed, clics and keystrokes, start to go on.

Is annoying since I cant see a movie now without getting freeze while watching it

I already clean install WIN8.1 RTM with lastes patches and drivers but the same issue since I thought is was a WIN issue for the upgrade.

Here are the specs

Date 2013/10/23 20:25:16
[PC Information]
Model Name Satellite L745D
Part Number PSK4GU-00H003
Serial Number deleted on purpose
OS Version Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 6.3.9600
BIOS Version 1.20
CPU AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Physical Memory4096MB RAM
Hard Disk Capacity2,000,038,125,568 [byte] 1.819 [TB]
Hard Disk Free Space Capacity1,253,948,272,640 [byte] 1.140 [TB]
Video AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics version=13.200.16.0
Screen Resolution1366 x 768 Pixels
Color Quality True Color (32 Bit)
Sound AMD High Definition Audio Device version=9.0.0.9903
Conexant SmartAudio HD version=8.54.44.0
Network Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC version=2012.2.827.2013
Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) version=2.1.0.16 MAC
Modem None
Internet Explorer11.0.9600.16384
IDE Device None
ST9500325AS
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A0AS FW version=1.51
[QFE Information]
Windows Update "KB2859675_Microsoft-Windows-CameraCodec-Package"
Windows Update "KB2880289"
Windows Update "KB2883200"
Windows Update "KB2884101"
Windows Update "KB2884846"
Windows Update "KB2886439"
Windows Update "KB2894029"
Windows Update "KB2894179"
Windows Update "KB2895219"
Windows Update "KB2898742"
Any help will be appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diego T.

• stylemessiah

• LiLmEgZ

• Reefa

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the AMD CPU. I don't have more details but there is a good chance the same thing will happen on Windows 7 because AMD still cannot build a good CPU after so many years of failing hard. I have a new laptop with AMD E series CPU that came with Windows 8 and had that same problem, I upgraded to Windows 7 but it still happens now and then. Even my 2 year old laptop with ULV Core 2 Duo runs faster than this new AMD laptop. :s

Lets see you have an AMD CPU, AND you have Windows 8.1 on it...two strikes

I feel for you.

Did you follow Toshiba windows 8.1 advice before installing Windows 8.1, they have very specific instructions, i know because i sent them only yesterday to a friend who i knew wouldnt look at the Toshiba support site before she did the upgrade ....

First check your model is supported for the upgrade:

Supported Models: http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/jsp/checkWindows8_1Compatible.do?service=EU

Then read these:

Windows 8.l1 Update Advice: http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/generic/windows8_1-upgrade-stepbystep/

Windows 8.l1 Clean Install Advice: http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/generic/windows8_1-install-stepbystep/

Windows 8.1 Drivers - http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/windows8_1_drivers.jsp?service=EU

And never buy an AMD based laptop ever again, just a general tip...they may be cheap, but well theres a reason why.....

You may want to read this article... it will detail you in why Windows 8.1 doesn't work on ur AMD CPU...

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-confirms-some-older-amd-processors-do-not-support-windows-81

Just as a side note... you'll prly end up having to put Windows 8 back on it since 8.1 has AMD CPU issues :(

Edited by LiLmEgZ

You may want to read this article... it will detail you in why Windows 8.1 doesn't work on ur AMD CPU...

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-confirms-some-older-amd-processors-do-not-support-windows-81

Just as a side note... you'll prly end up having to put Windows 8 back on it since 8.1 has AMD CPU issues :(

Good catch there. Nice find.

I avoid Neowin (because of the fanboys and trolls, see signature), so i missed that one

The problem is the AMD CPU. I don't have more details but there is a good chance the same thing will happen on Windows 7 because AMD still cannot build a good CPU after so many years of failing hard. I have a new laptop with AMD E series CPU that came with Windows 8 and had that same problem, I upgraded to Windows 7 but it still happens now and then. Even my 2 year old laptop with ULV Core 2 Duo runs faster than this new AMD laptop. :s

I have an hp laptop with amd cpu and running windows 8.1 without a problem except the video card driver for the brightness slider adjustment which has nothing to do with amd cpu apart from that the performance is good. I didn't face any crash ..

disable this driver from device manager in safe mode than after disable restart your system driver name: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) version=2.1.0.16 Edited by rahuldohare

I been experiencing the freezing issue but only when I watch youtube video or any kinda of streaming videos. It only freezes for 1 second and then back to normal, but throughout the video it does that quite a lot. There are ppl that having this same issue that I have but no fix yet. This only happen in windows 8.1 I had no issue in window 7.

My pc spec:

Intel i7 2600k

Asus Sabertooth Z77

Kingston HyperX Beast 8gb Ram

GTX 780

Enermax 850W psu

Windows 8.1 64bit

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This laptop supports only WIN7 officially but runs well on WIN8.1

However I'm starting to feel that PROCESS LASSO is the one giving me the hung ups and lags on my PC. I have removed it and I will keep you posted.

Edited by Diego T.

The steps i would do to find the source of the problem.

1. Fresh install windows.

2. Only install drivers and use computer like u normally do.

3. if u have freeze then drivers are the issue if no freez then proced with softwares u must have. e.g, antivirus and productivity softwares e.t.c.
4. if u have freez one of ur beloved software without u cant live have a problem if not proced with ur other softwares.
5. If have freez then start uninstalling software one by one and find the black sheep, if not then u had a bad install and problem is fixed now enjoy.
6. if u read all this then u must me looking for a fix baddy. Uninstall IDM that piece of shit sucks balls and uninstall utorrent too that shit gave me BSOD. I had no problems and once i went to 8.1 i had issues removed those softwares and bam issues are gone.