[Solved] Western Digital Blue 500 GB (WD5000AAKX)

Matsuda

Hi guys, all fine? :)

Then, i have found a good promotion for this HDD in my city and maybe i will buy it. then i wanted to know your opinions on he, is recommended? my use is only for windows + softwares (not games).

Here specifications from western digital website:

sshot_1.png

Edited by Matsuda

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matsuda

• Guinness

• FreeRyde

• Nima

If you can afford, get Black series instead of Blue, they are high-performance series and one of the very best hard drives of WD, with dual core processing engine and unbelievably high performance and high reliability became one of the highest quality hard drived ever built; but, if you want to buy 'best of the best', buy VelociRaptor without any doubt, those are industrial and workstation grade hard drives which is simply the best hard disk in the planet. :)

I only like WD Black Edition, however if you like to buy WD Blue Edition and capacity not more than 500GB

buy this one

CEIBwcg.jpg

Edited by johnse7en

I'd try to come up with a few more dollars for the WD7500AZEX with a 64 MB buffer and higher Transfer Rate of 150 Mb/s

I only like WD Black Edition, however if you like to buy WD Blue Edition and capacity not more than 500GB

buy this one

CEIBwcg.jpg

If you can afford, get Black series instead of Blue, they are high-performance series and one of the very best hard drives of WD, with dual core processing engine and unbelievably high performance and high reliability became one of the highest quality hard drived ever built; but, if you want to buy 'best of the best', buy VelociRaptor without any doubt, those are industrial and workstation grade hard drives which is simply the best hard disk in the planet. :)

Thanks guys, now i must see this the why of the promotion. is crap. but here in my country black editions are very expensive, and have heard that this black are noisy, is true?

I'd try to come up with a few more dollars for the WD7500AZEX with a 64 MB buffer and higher Transfer Rate of 150 Mb/s

Thanks Ryde, this looks interesting, but if for buy a of 750 is better buy the of 1TB . :)

Edited by Matsuda

Thanks Ryde, this looks interesting, but if for buy a of 750 is better buy the of 1TB . :)

...have heard that this black are noisy, is true?

Definately. I thought price was a concern, but if you can afford the WD10EZEX, it would be the best 'Blue'.

I have 3 'Black' drives and find them to be extremely guiet. I don't hear them at all.

Black and noisy? :huh:

I bet you are definitely kidding me, my friend! ^_^

Black series are the quietest hard drives I have ever seen, they are really quiet even though it has two heads/processors running at the same time.

I own 2TB Black with 64MB cache and I am extremely satisfied and happy with it in these years, not a single problem with it. ;)

...have heard that this black are noisy, is true?

Definately. I thought price was a concern, but if you can afford the WD10EZEX, it would be the best 'Blue'.

I have 3 'Black' drives and find them to be extremely guiet. I don't hear them at all.

I see, yes the price is very important. :lol:, but a black at the moment only in dream. :tooth:

Looking for that the johnse7en has recommended WD5000AZLX. :)

my seagate 3 tb runs at min 150 mb / sec. at max 205 mb /sec.

i see how much wd greens are out of working after 6 months.

so i go for seagate.

Nothing wrong with Blue series. I'm running one for years without single issue, and I recently got another. But I use it mainly for storage if that matter, since I have SSD for Windows and other programs.

Cheers ;)

my seagate 3 tb runs at min 150 mb / sec. at max 205 mb /sec.

i see how much wd greens are out of working after 6 months.

so i go for seagate.

Good that works fine for you because a lot of friends is having problems with Seagate, loves technical assistance. ;)

Edited by Matsuda

I do have a 500 GB 32 MB Cache Blue and a 1 TB 64 MB Cache Black, currently running on separate rigs.

Blacks are obviously faster, they have an extended 5 year warranty instead of Blue's 3 year one, which may come handy.

Also, The Caviar Blue is quieter.

I'm very pleased with them as I was with all my previous WD HDD's in the past.

As -mara, I use them mainly for storage on SSD equipped systems.

Nothing wrong with Blue series. I'm running one for years without single issue, and I recently got another. But I use it mainly for storage if that matter, since I have SSD for Windows and other programs.

Cheers ;)

Yes, SSD is a dream, but the brazil is so crap that a lot of physical stores have stopped offering the SSD, (except by order) because they are collecting dust, no one has the courage to lead, even buying on the internet is very expensive. "Taxes", Brazil is the king of it. -_-

I had a 320GB Seagate drive in my vaio. Then it went dead withing 9mnths. I got replaced under warranty, a 500GB WD blue. After 2 years had some sector corruption issue. Fixed with HDDregenerator. Now it's been 3 years and running fine.

Talking about black series, I would rather buy a 64GB SSD as primary for the OS and a simple 5400 rpm drive within budget as secodry for storage.

Cheers ;)

Yes, SSD is a dream, but the brazil is so crap that a lot of physical stores have stopped offering the SSD, (except by order) because they are collecting dust, no one has the courage to lead, even buying on the internet is very expensive. "Taxes", Brazil is the king of it. -_-

Same is here in my country. I was lucky and friend bought it for me in US and brought it to me in my country.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

That's a problem with every developing country I think. This includes India.

I bought today WD5000AZLX, file transfer is very fast, Windows 8.1 is flying, loving it. thanks for all you guys. :)

That's great. :)

I always wondered if Sata 6 Gb/s does any good though. Do HDDs even reach those speeds? Sata 6 Gb/s is probably good for SSDs.

I always wondered if Sata 6 Gb/s does any good though. Do HDDs even reach those speeds? Sata 6 Gb/s is probably good for SSDs.

Not at all. With HDD´s, there is no real performance difference between SATA II 3G (300 MB/s) and SATA III 6G (600 MB/s), mainly because HDD´s simply cannot come close to the SATA III 6G staturation peak overhead. And most operations are random access instructions.

On the majority modern SATA III HDD´s, Read speeds are tipically less or equal to 200 MB/s (about 220 MB/s on a 10.000 RPM Velociraptor, just to mention an extreme case). Of course, Write speeds would be even lower, so, technically, HDD´s cannot take advantage of the SATA III protocol. ;)

Edited by Guinness

As you already mentioned, different story with SSD´s, of course. Modern generation Solid State Drives are capable of much higher IOPS and DTR.

Edited by Guinness

Playstation 4 = $1.800 dollars (it you only will see in my country) have to laugh to keep from crying. :tooth:

Playstation 4 = $1.800 dollars (it you only will see in my country) have to laugh to keep from crying. :tooth:

Really? I think the launching price here in Portugal will be about €400 ($550). Huge difference indeed. :(

Edited by Guinness

Really? I think the launching price here in Portugal will be about €400 ($550). Huge difference indeed. :(

:yes:, this country is a longtime burglar.