should laptop be used without battery dicrectly with AC power?

ThE iNsAnE

hello nsaners!

i have a sony vaio lappy and the battery is dying...i am not interested in buying a new battery as of now.

i need my battery for my college works and for presentations so i want to minimize the battery use and possibly extend its life for another year till i finish college.

my question is, is it fine if i don't use battery and directly use with ac mains when i am not doing any critical works (which may be lost if there is power outage) like movies or casual net surfing???

will it harm my laptop??

and above all, if something happens to the hardware due to sudden power surges, will it void my warranty?? (can sony people find out that i was using the laptop without battery?)

please help!!! need expert views!!!

Edited by ThE iNsAnE

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThE iNsAnE

• dMog

• ns870152

• Airstream_Bill

Top Posters In This Topic

Airstream_Bill

Hi, I have been using my laptop without a battery for 3 years. I use the battery when I need it to be a laptop and I am on the move. One should always remove the battery if they are going to use it plugged in as a desktop. It will save on the life of the battery. You should have not trouble running your laptop on the power supply.

Edited by Airstream_Bill

I sent that exact same question to HP before i purchased that brand of notebook..the answer that they gave me...always keep the battery in...even when you use the power cord most of the time...just unplug the power from time to time and run the battery down to about 5% or 2% and re plug in the power..have heard it said the other way too as per airstream bills post and have never really had a definitive answer on this

Edited by dMog

Hi, I have been using my laptop without a battery for 3 years. I use the battery when I need it to be a laptop and I am on the move. One should always remove the battery if they are going to use it plugged in as a desktop. It will save on the life of the battery. You should have not trouble running your laptop on the power supply.

so even if there is sudden power shortage, hardware wont be affected right??

anyway for someone to find out if the laptop has been used without battery like if i claim warranty??

I sent that exact same question to HP before i purchased that brand of notebook..the answer that they gave me...always keep the battery in...even when you use the power cord most of the time...just unplug the power from time to time and run the battery down to about 5% or 2% and re plug in the power..have heard it said the other way too as per airstream bills post and have never really had a definitive answer on this

so what do you suggest? should i use with battery or not?

well since i just got my new note book less than 6 months ago...and hp gave the most current answer... i would and am doing as they suggested..just remember to unplug once a week or so and run the battery down...i am quite certain the technician said that a notebook should NEVER be plugged in to power without a battery... not that he offered ant reson for this but just that he said it should not be done

so what do you suggest? should i use with battery or not?

I use the adaptor without battery for 5 years

You can do the way you like, for your convenience

You are talking about me,,

2 years without battery , so good , battery still give me 3 hours and every week completely discharge 7~10% then completely charge again then keep it in safe.

My Laptop is HP proBook 4520s - It has something to protect the hard from sudden power fail ( HP 3D DriverGuard ) senses motion to help protect my hard and data.

I think Laptop without BATTERY = Disk top ,

Edited by hamede

Airstream_Bill

Here is some more info for you.:

Having a battery fully charged and the laptop plugged in is not harmful supposedly, because as soon as

the charge level reaches 100% the battery stops receiving charging energy and this energy

is bypassed directly to the power supply system of the laptop.

However there's a disadvantage in keeping the battery in its socket when the laptop is

plugged in, but only if it's currently suffering from excessive heating caused by the

laptop hardware.

So:

•In a normal usage, if the laptop doesn't get to hot (CPU and Hard Disk around 40ºC) the

battery should remain in the laptop socket;

•In an intensive usage which leads to a large amount of heat produced (i.e. Games) the

battery should be removed from the socket in order to prevent unwanted heating.

The heat, among the fact that it has 100% of charge, is the great enemy of the lithium

battery and not the plug, as many might think so.

I remove the battery on three laptops my batteries last a long time compared to other friends of mine who leave them in their computers. ASUS, Toshiba, and eMachine netbook. Like it says up above when the battery reaches 100% you laptop is running off the power supply at that point.

Edited by Airstream_Bill

I couldn't agree more with Airstream_Bill, the cycles count and heat are the cause Li-on batteries get worn out. Some laptop series (eg. Thinkpad) even have a program that gives you ability to control charging threshold (start charging if the battery is below a certain % and stop charging when it reaches a certain %) even doing a battery calibration.

You need to take care of your battery and don't need to remove it, but like others said there is no harm (except mechanical HDD -> change it with SSD :D ) to the laptop if you remove it.

But you need to know that you must discharge battery from time to time...and if you not do that you are not do any good to your battery.

What is not good is to discharge battery too often (daily) and more isportant is to not do any CPU intensive task while on battery.

One of the good things is to make power plan in that way to discharge battery "slowly".

Every battery likes slow discharge (small current form cells) compared to high current which cells must provide while doing high CPU proccessing.

My recomendation (based on reading a lot of documents and recomendations of laptop manufacturer) is to not remove battery, charge it fully, from time to time (7-15 days) discharge it to 2-5% and charge it again.

When laptop is on battery reduce the brightness of the screen to the minimum acceptable level and you have chance to give your battery long life :D .

Even that is not guarantie that it will last long...but few years is really good...

Sorry for my poor English.

One note: when I said discharge to 2-5% I mean let windows to go to sleep hibernate if you can't plug adapter in thet moment.

Everyone knows (at least heard) that completely discharge is dangerous for battery.

And Linus give good link for elaborate by yourself what should you do...even I don't use this application, my friend use it and there is nothing he gain compared to me...