[Help] Power button glows but display shows nothing!

rudrax

So most of you guys already know that I was having a thermal issue with my laptop (sony vaio VPCEB24EN). It was overheating. Then I cleaned it and reapplied the thermal paste. But yet the thermal issue wasn't solved and today it had a automatic shutdown due to overheat. I opened it again and this acquiring some courage, I opened internal fan's casing and Bingo! There I found sticky dirt that was blocking the exhale vents completely. I cleaned it completely. Then I re-assembled all components as they were and tried turning it on. But only the power button glows, nothing is there on the display not even the vaio logo.

I've tried a trick that's advised in such situations and that is:

I unplugged the AC power, took out the battery, pressed the power button for 30secs, got the battery in, pressed the power button and no luck. Just the power button glow and display remains dark.

Any suggestion guys?

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudrax

• nIGHT

• Whoopenstein

• ricktendo

Top Posters In This Topic

So you disassembled your laptop, but before ruling that you might loose connected one of the connectors, in this case the graphics cards from your laptop lcd display panel, you should check if the graphics card is indeed does have power.

If you have an external led or lcd display panel tv then attached it to your laptop using hdmi cables.

That way the display will re-route to the external led/lcd display panel tv.

Don't forget to set the external led/lcd panel display to hdmi settings. <- Set this using your external led/lcd display panels menu!

If no display shown in the external led/lcd panel display tv then try to reboot your laptop.

If by doing this still there is no display shown in your external led/lcd display panel

then you might loose connected more than one connectors( power and maybe graphics connection to laptops lcd display).

If there is a display shown then the graphics connection to your laptop's lcd display is loose or not connected at all. ;)

Edited by nIGHT

Mmmm...

There's one thing I should do: Open the laptop and check every connector and be sure all of them are in place. It can be that the cable/link between the MB and the LCD is not working fine due your previous disassembling.

The graphics card is soldered to the motherboard so there's no chance of loose connections.

I haven't touched any connection except the fan's one. Checked and rechecked all those connections.

Note: This is a auto shutdown due to overheat. So I guess there is some instruction stored in the BIOS or may be in the CPU denying the CPU to power ON.

windows 8 or 8.1

if so reinstall

The graphics card is soldered to the motherboard so there's no chance of loose connections.

I haven't touched any connection except the fan's one. Checked and rechecked all those connections.

Note: This is a auto shutdown due to overheat. So I guess there is some instruction stored in the BIOS or may be in the CPU denying the CPU to power ON.

Try Cleaning ur RAM (Remove, Clean and Fix it again)

at least vaio logo and bios screen must be displayed...even if computer is denying the OS to load...

Edited by anshu.kh

at least vaio logo and bios screen must be displayed...even if computer is denying the OS to load...

Yes, this is true even if you have an auto shutdown due to overheating.

How long did you turn it on when it auto shutdown?

You should give it at least 30 mins, better to an hour or more , before starting it again. ;)

Yes, that is the default behavior of all pc/laptop to prevent damage to your cpu and other parts due to overheating.

But many systems I encountered usually still boots, after being idle for a few minutes, displaying the manufacturers screen logo and the bios screen. And, the time you spent disassembling your laptop's case that is more than enough to cool your processor, graphics card and hd.

So my advice is: DO NOT PANIC! hehehe! Just let it cool down. That may be its default behavior. After an hour turn it on then everything will be fine again, so until the next occurrence of your next overheat happened again. ;)

While you wait, you should do some fapping to ease your depression. hehehe!

If an hour passed and still your laptop does not turn on then there is a chance of loose connection. Remember, you opened it.

If even a memory module is not properly attached most systems will preserve itself from being damage by refusing to turn on.

Addendum:

Your overheating problem is not only limited to your processor but also to your graphics card and hd.

SSD is cool btw, no need to monitor its temp. ;) You should also install a gpu thermal monitoring software (ex. GPU-Z) and hd thermal monitoring software (ex. HD TUNE), along with your CPU monitoring software (ex. CORE TEMP).

Edited by nIGHT

RAM is fine. Unplugged, cleaned both modules and stick and plugged in again. They are fine.

I'm thinking of resetting the BIOS. There's a battery for the BIOS in the mobo. If I unplug and plug that again, I hope, it will do the trick. What do you guys say?

Don't do that yet! Just wait for an hour then restart your pc. ;)

Have some cool air to pass on your laptop. If you have an electric fan then focus it on your laptop.

I think the overheating (your old problem) caused a damage to some thing in you laptop PC :unsure:

my opinion- the monitor socket is unplugged. open it up again look at the wires coming from the lid and folllow them to the motherboard connector make sure it is properly seated.

if i read you right you are getting nothing from the monitor correct? nothing at all shows when you boot as if its still off?? i would look at that connector.

Don't do that yet! Just wait for an hour then restart your pc. ;)

Have some cool air to pass on your laptop. If you have an electric fan then focus it on your laptop.

I was running my laptop under ceiling fan during overheat. Now, as I've cleaned the fan's internal exhale vents, which was totally block by sticky dirt, the issue is expected to be resolved.

Now I'm gonna reset the BIOS during day time tomorro if nothing comes handy.

@rudrax if by your definition of not touching/disconnecting anything other than the fan,

then what might happened to your laptop is a kind of default protection (not starting til the temp in your laptop is still high) employed by the BIOS.

Just wait an hour for a fast electric fan or maybe two hours or more for the ceiling fan (ceiling fan is quite slow compared to an electric fan. You know that.) :yes:

otherwise (if the above still does not start and you have tried it thrice with an interval of two or more hours to cool it and restarting it then read below)

if you were careless (as we cannot see your laptop, you have a minute description of what happened and what you really did about it including the carelessness) then along with masterupc and jackieo, were just saying the same thing. ;)

Mmmm...

There's one thing I should do: Open the laptop and check every connector and be sure all of them are in place. It can be that the cable/link between the MB and the LCD is not working fine due your previous disassembling.

my opinion- the monitor socket is unplugged. open it up again look at the wires coming from the lid and folllow them to the motherboard connector make sure it is properly seated.

if i read you right you are getting nothing from the monitor correct? nothing at all shows when you boot as if its still off?? i would look at that connector.

If you took out the memory, hard drive, and optical drive to get to the heat sink, I'd check the connections very carefully. Try starting up with the drives disconected. re-seat your memory modules. Try one at a time if there's more than one. Something probably is not making correct contact anymore. Worst case - if you weren't grounded and you were messing around with the CPU and motherboard you could have killed something with a static shock . Also - make sure the power button is actually making contact when pushed.

I tried resetting the BIOS but is that exactly called a BIOS reset what I did?

What I did is, there is the battery fixed at the mobo and two wires, red and black comes out of the battery and connected to a socket in the mobo. I pulled out the connector from the socket and waited about 10mins and connected that back.

Is that how a BIOS gets resetted?

When I press the power button only the initialization sound of the DVD drive is heard. Other than that you can hear the fan if you get your ears near the vent.

So, you recommend to give some time to the mobo. Okay but should I keep the battery plugged in or out? How much time will the mobo take if that were the reason?

try to remove the cpu and give power to the laptop , turn it back off. remove the power. place the cpu back in place.

give power to the laptop and turn it on.

good luck

BIOS reset does not help you with this kind of problem.

You reset the BIOS only if forgot your password, but nobody's doing that now. (There is an easier approach to resetting BIOS password.) The BIOS settings will be just removed and restored to its default setting.

<Content Deleted by Self>

No point in posting any more. Good luck! ;)

Edited by nIGHT