2 Front Panel USB Ports not working

insanedown58

insanedown58

I have a Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 (rev 1.0) Motherboard that has 2 USB headers (1 USB 3.0/20 and 1 USB 2.0/1.1) for the CPU front panel. So I went inside and fixed the alignment of the headers (because apparently the reason why time wasn't syncing was because there was a wire on the CLR_CMOS jumper resetting the CMOS every single time plus I also got the front audio and other LED lights working) and the 2 front panel USB ports are the only ones that malfunctioned.

Here's the manual of the motherboard: http://goo.gl/cMRQew

And here's the board itself: http://goo.gl/ouZU46

The wires take up 3 pins and 4 if you count the GND wire.

One more thing (ooh I went Steve Jobs on that one) this isn't as urgent as it sounds as I do have a "Hi-Speed" USB 2.0 root hub that originally had 4 functional ports but is now left with 3 and 1 port is currently being occupied by the mouse so I technically have the front ports.

Edited by insanedown58

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• insanedown58

• el_espaniol

• ASIO

Top Posters In This Topic

insanedown58

try to plug the front usb cable connector to another or second port in mobo.

I tried hooking it up the USB 3.0 and the USB 2.0 headers but it didn't work.

Front panel of the cpu case ...? :ermm: ...Not rare issue, common on bad insulated wires.... Try connect a card reader, it is impossible to miss the connection...take a look...

• conector_usb_PB.jpg

:excl: ...Uhh...hope it is not a fused USB port due a bad wiring ... :think:

Best luck with the stuff.... :mellow:

Edited by el_espaniol

Your last pic estates that you should use GigaByte s front panel for that connector ( USB3/USB2 )... :think:

...Also I reminded if all usb ports are enabled in the BIOS setup...? :think: I..ve taked a look on your Bios manual regarding

the USB ports...;..seems correct to be " All Enabled ", no way to be missed on with this...

FYI on Gigabite s site you can find F4 BIOS update - 2013-3-18- ( stable release ) ...take a look on, please....

Glad for help and waiting Your feedback...Best Luck...! :)

insanedown58

Your last pic estates that you should use GigaByte s front panel for that connector ( USB3/USB2 )... :think:

...Also I reminded if all usb ports are enabled in the BIOS setup...? :think: I..ve taked a look on your Bios manual regarding

the USB ports...;..seems correct to be " All Enabled ", no way to be missed on with this...

FYI on Gigabite s site you can find F4 BIOS update - 2013-3-18- ( stable release ) ...take a look on, please....

Glad for help and waiting Your feedback...Best Luck...! :)

How should I set up the wires? The BIOS update is not needed because as far as I can remember all it does is add support for the Richland APUs out of the box.

Seems you need a special wire for it, as I understand -> usb 3 internal header <- Google images...

As far as I know you can not use the wiring of the front PC case USB2/1 to solve the issue...

insanedown58

Seems you need a special wire for it, as I understand -> usb 3 internal header <- Google images...

As far as I know you can not use the wiring of the front PC case USB2/1 to solve the issue...

I don't know why I'd need a special wire since it worked fine the first time around :unsure:

I don't know why I'd need a special wire since it worked fine the first time around :unsure:

:doctor: Let s see...:

1-> May be The front panel USB is bad and /or the wires are flaky...

2-> May be The USB internal header is broken or fused...( bad thing )

3-> May be Your os is screwed... ( may be the usb drivers...?)

4-> USB power overload..? Try to disconect some stuff

For my POV, I make a clean install. If You don t want to do it, try a live Linuz CD and see what happens...

If it does not solve the problem, I think, the easiest and fastest way is a special usb3 conector ...:

IMG_2709_zpsb40fb3db.jpg

...Is not expensive => If the devices conected works, so the bad is in the front case wiring......

If the devices conected does not work, some of the mobos USB headers has gone ...Hope not.

Pretty much a diagnostic => You will finally know what is failing with the USB...Best Luck.-

Edited by el_espaniol

Okay so after doing some research I found that the front panel ports are USB 2.0 so it should work on USB 2.0/1.1

Nice...Yep...connected to your mobo => F_USB1F/F_USB2F headers as is states your first pic posted...

FYI the standard wiring must be connected to the header following this ...:

color_code_usb_pins.JPG?m=1373400652

Okay so after doing some research I found that the front panel ports are USB 2.0 so it should work on USB 2.0/1.1

Nice...Yep...connected to your mobo => F_USB1F/F_USB2F headers as is states your first pic posted...

FYI the standard wiring must be connected to the header following this ...:

color_code_usb_pins.JPG?m=1373400652

Thanks! Apparently I installed the cable backwards :doh:

Uhh...is a common mistake... :lol: ...Glad if all the stuff is working....!!!!

Verry Nice mobo Yours... Full fledged UEFI :naughty:.... By the way...what CPU is installed on...?