Dual boot issue

bruinator

Tried disabling UEFI as startup and uselegacy setting but received the same error as first stated at the begining of thread. Found another entry before bootup of "run UEFI application..." Not sure what that does even after googling it.

Any help guys. thx

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bruinator

• badrobot

• emerglines

• Beamslider

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's a way to do it. MBR formatted hd runs on BIOS while GPT runs on UEFI. Although UEFI is switchable to BIOS, a hard drive cannot be both MBR and GPT. That is my understanding. It's only one or the other. The best solution is to install the dual boot on a separate disk formatted as GPT.

post-66530-0-10486700-1379129355_thumb.j

post-66530-0-13048800-1379129376_thumb.j

Yes, I am beginning to think that as well. So When i add another 500 GB hd and set up the partition as GPT and then I will be able to set up win 8.1, correct?

thx

Yes, I am beginning to think that as well. So When i add another 500 GB hd and set up the partition as GPT and then I will be able to set up win 8.1, correct?

thx

Yes you should. And you don't have to make a switch between BIOS and UEFI. The system will do the necessary configuration for the new hard drive. I did that recently on my Win 7 PC. I installed the 8.1 preview on a separate drive installed on my Win 7 PC. But I got tired of having to go to a selection screen on boot up to choose which OS to run (Win 7 or 8.1) so I just uninstalled it. Anyway, I can always run my Win 8 PC on my Win 7 pc via Teamviewer. Actually I have it running right now. Here's a shot: left is Linux Mint OS on VMWare, middle screen is the Win 7 main PC and right screen is Win 8 on Teamviewer.

post-66530-0-66185400-1379131492_thumb.j

Nice set up . How big are your monitors? How many PC's are you using or just different HD's on one machine?

The left and right monitors are 24" Sony Playstation 3D LED Displays, the middle monitor is a 22" Philips LCD monitor. The middle monitor is connected to a TV tuner and the right monitor connected also to a PS3. These are all running on one Win 7 PC which used to be an HP but have been upgraded a lot so I changed the case to have more room for upgrades. I only have one OS installed on this PC which is the Win 7 on 250GB Samsung 840 series SSD. I have the original 1TB hard drive also installed there as data storage only. My Win 8 PC is in the living room which I use as an HTPC. But I can also use it on my Win 7 using Teamviewer program (like Remote Desktop).

Here's my Win 8 PC connected to my 47" HDTV and 17" LCD monitor.

post-66530-0-77954200-1379132426_thumb.j.jpg]

Edited by badrobot