YT audio only - any ideas how to do this ?

smallhagrid

I found a post in LiveJournal's forum when I was searching on youtube audio only that says it well:

Sometimes, when you play a YouTube video, you're only interested in listening to the audio portion – for example, if you're listening to a song or some speech (talk radio, the President, whatever). In many cases, the YouTube recording doesn't really have a video portion to go with the audio, apart from a still image of the album cover or badly misspelled song lyrics.

The poster suggests embedding the desired video in a specially created webpage each time - which is not nearly quick & dirty enough IMO.

I do listen to plenty of music and talk radio streams via YT that have only a still image shown and this is why I ask...why bother with video when there ain't any, really ?!?

Here's a great example for this=>

Does anyone have a really cool, quick & easy ideas or way to do this ??

Thanks.

Edited by smallhagrid

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smallhagrid

• Ambrocious

• unknownasphyxiated

• TuFaS

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of ways of extracting the audio from videos on YouTube.

1) YouTube Downloader has an option that allows you to download the video and automatically convert it into an mp3.

2) MediaCoder is another way of getting this down.

3) Use a third party online converter like vidtomp3 or video2mp3.

There are probably other ways, those are some ways that I personally have used.

Edited by Ambrocious

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for downloading and saving stuff - I'm all set - got at least 5 ways to do it including Moo0 VideoToAudio...that is not what I was asking about.

What I've tried to describe is that it would be great to be able to just LISTEN to streams that have no video content somehow.

Lots and lots of stuff is posted on YT (like what I put in my OP) that is only audio anyhow - music with just a photo, or talk radio recordings - having to watch full video is a waste for such things.

Of course this may be one of my too-odd queries that has no real solution, right ?!?

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for downloading and saving stuff - I'm all set - got at least 5 ways to do it including Moo0 VideoToAudio...that is not what I was asking about.

What I've tried to describe is that it would be great to be able to just LISTEN to streams that have no video content somehow.

Lots and lots of stuff is posted on YT (like what I put in my OP) that is only audio anyhow - music with just a photo, or talk radio recordings - having to watch full video is a waste for such things.

Of course this may be one of my too-odd queries that has no real solution, right ?!?

I see what your asking, I'm not sure if there is anything like that, close your eyes maybe?

have you tried this?

http://www.fullrip.net/

read FAQ here:

http://www.fullrip.net/help.php

get add on for chrome:

http://www.fullrip.net/chrome.php

get add on for firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fullripnet-youtube-video-mp3/

it was a good no need to download except the add ons, and the good thing is it was free ^_^

Edited by thePatcher

unknownasphyxiated

there is some glitch with ff addon FlashBlock, it will only load audio without the video, only happen to youtube video if im not mistaken

sometimes you need to click twice to enable video and audio

i don't know if it can be done but it does load faster without the video

maybe you can ask the author if it is possible

Again I remind - my OP is about streaming audio only for videos that are audio-only.

Fullrip is a neat suggestion for downloading, which I sometimes do.

I may try Fullrip - but if you look at the reviews here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fullripnet-youtube-video-mp3/

It is 100% reported as not working and has not been updated since last march...

i think main goal of @smallhagrid is to save bandwidth and have better download times, correct?

is youtube really that dumb that for videos with a static image - it is serving a video with the same static image served over and over again? i suppose with compression, it would make the b-frames say that there is no change in the image. but the i-frame at every couple of frames would still send the full image over and over again every few frames. youtube is wasting its own bandwidth - it should allow option of just showing a slideshow of static images.

i like to download audio / songs / talkshows from youtube also - usually I am forced to download the full video - then I rip the audio with mkvtoolnix to put on mp3 player.

That is part of it, yes:

i think main goal of @smallhagrid is to save bandwidth and have better download times, correct?

is youtube really that dumb that for videos with a static image - it is serving a video with the same static image served over and over again? i suppose with compression, it would make the b-frames say that there is no change in the image. but the i-frame at every couple of frames would still send the full image over and over again every few frames. youtube is wasting its own bandwidth - it should allow option of just showing a slideshow of static images.

When a show that is just talk is 200mb of video - but really is just fine in audio only, mono, and at a much lower bitrate.

If it is one I wish to keep, I must then rip it to an MP3 that will be just as big (usually), then change the bitrate, etc. to cut it down to size - way too much to do to get some show I may wish to listen to again sometime.

To your queries/assertions I say=> YES, yt is very dumb as are the uploaders who put stuff there ONLY for the greater exposures.

If they seriously wanted their stuff to spread they would also offer download links for MP3s of it...but very few ever do that.