smallhagrid

smallhagrid

I used NOD32 AV for a very long time and was pretty happy with it.

Also used Online Armor and it was just OK - never great at all.

Started having problems and major slowdowns (yes I still use XP) and keeping NOD happy got to be a PITA as well so it was time to try other stuff.

As I posted before elsewhere (asking about stuff) I passed over alot of the free AV offerings and especially the Asian ones that other folks are uncomfortable with - and I did try one that got bad-mouthed a bit - UnThreat.

Right away my system got faster - the biggest measure for me is when I have Firefox or Thunderbird minimized and want to bring it forward; before that took 1-2 seconds before I could use it, and after ditching NOD & OA it was popping back up alot faster.

Trying AVS Firewall was a mistake though - it just sucks and got yanked really quickly.

I'd tried Privatefirewall before and didn't like how it asks eleventy-seven times when opening an app, and after it got me P.O.'d before I had just yanked it - but now I see I was too hasty doing that.

Learning how to get it to accept apps isn't obvious, like why it needed 20-30 clicks just to allow me to open Foxit Reader ?!?!?

Long story short - using it's training button in the details pop-up takes care of that I found and that makes it alot easier to live with.

The best of it is that now I have a 100% free AV & firewall that allows my PC to speed along nicely.

When I bring back those windows now there is just a blink of a delay, which is much better IMO.

And so far I can't gripe about UnThreat at all - it has detected stuff correctly, stayed updated and hasn't done anything wrong that I can tell.

(If it does though, I'll yank it and try ClamAV next...)

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stylemessiah

It might have gotten faster, but its also gotten less secure, sorry

Im not saying that NOD cant be slow, hell i was with Avast for eons and then i found a few issues which werent getting addressed, so i switched to NOD.

I noticed pretty quickly that NOD wasnt as snappy as Avast, but it was more stable and didnt have the issues.

Ive A/B'd the same PC with Avast and NOD, using identical images apart from the AV) and yes NOD puts more of a hit on the PC than Avast, but now that the issues i had with Avast have been resolved, i feel more than confident being back on Avast. They made some good moves the last year.

As for swapping over to a non well known outsider like UnThreat, no thanks, it doent have a very good rating and people have found out the hard way, usually by installing even MSE and finding out theyve been harbouring trojans for months .....

See latest'ish results matrix here: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml

Also be aware that UnThreat got bought out by a holding company with a some say very shady background.....

My personal list in descending order of free AV:

1) Avast

2) AVG (sure once in a while they let a bad update through that will delete system files, but rarer than it used to be)

3) Avira (if you can live with or disable the nags)

4) MSE

As for ClamAV, i wouldnt, it has a bad rep for cleaning, can send your CPU to 100% on a whim and it scans less files than most other AV's

My only problem with "free" is you get what you pay for. They don't offer the best protection on free versions because there is always a pro version of the program that the makers want you to buy.

Right, even though cos like avast loudly proclaim that their free version av is as good as the pro version. i always thought why they would give away the same functionality/protection away for free when they have a pro version. after all all are cos with shareholders to answer.

Unless things have changed recently, I believe ClamAV does not have realtime protection.

smallhagrid

OK, so...:

Im not saying that NOD cant be slow, hell i was with Avast for eons and then i found a few issues which werent getting addressed, so i switched to NOD.

I noticed pretty quickly that NOD wasnt as snappy as Avast, but it was more stable and didnt have the issues.

Ive A/B'd the same PC with Avast and NOD, using identical images apart from the AV) and yes NOD puts more of a hit on the PC than Avast, but now that the issues i had with Avast have been resolved, i feel more than confident being back on Avast. They made some good moves the last year.

As for swapping over to a non well known outsider like UnThreat, no thanks, it doent have a very good rating and people have found out the hard way, usually by installing even MSE and finding out theyve been harbouring trojans for months .....

Also be aware that UnThreat got bought out by a holding company with a some say very shady background.....

1) Avast

2) AVG (sure once in a while they let a bad update through that will delete system files, but rarer than it used to be)

4) MSE

As for ClamAV, i wouldnt, it has a bad rep for cleaning, can send your CPU to 100% on a whim and it scans less files than most other AV's

Looking at http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml => there is a sort of 'cluster' where most of the biggies are - and guess what... UnThreat actually is a bit higher there than Avast...go figure.

Yes - I looked around ALOT concerning the bad rep and bad rap UnThreat got - and despite their crappy company it still uses Vipre and is still free, and thus far has been OK for me.

I tried searching for bad reviews of it by users and all I could find was folks dismissing it because of the company thing; do you have any reviews by disatisfied users to share with us about it, please ??

As to big-name freebies, as has been said - they are all doing their corporate thing and I'd rather do the 100% free things before getting into another big name (like ESET...) again.

ClamAV with Sentinel added becomes a full-featured AV with everything I might need, and if I test it and it pegs my CPU it'll be easy enough to ditch it and go with something better...but for now I'm still watching UnThreat to see if/when it will misbehave...

Thanks.

stylemessiah

OK, so...:

1) Avast

4) MSE

Looking at http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml => there is a sort of 'cluster' where most of the biggies are - and guess what... UnThreat actually is a bit higher there than Avast...go figure.

Yes - I looked around ALOT concerning the bad rep and bad rap UnThreat got - and despite their crappy company it still uses Vipre and is still free, and thus far has been OK for me.

I tried searching for bad reviews of it by users and all I could find was folks dismissing it because of the company thing; do you have any reviews by disatisfied users to share with us about it, please ??

As to big-name freebies, as has been said - they are all doing their corporate thing and I'd rather do the 100% free things before getting into another big name (like ESET...) again.

ClamAV with Sentinel added becomes a full-featured AV with everything I might need, and if I test it and it pegs my CPU it'll be easy enough to ditch it and go with something better...but for now I'm still watching UnThreat to see if/when it will misbehave...

Thanks.

Like i said UnThreat has been proven to let trojans through and leave a lot of garbage behind when attempting to clean. The assertion that because it uses VIPRE's engine somehow should make it seem highly respectable fails because VIPRE isnt great in the first place. Ask any tech with a shop who's had to clean up after VIPRE....

My posting of the link to the matrix was to give an overall indication of the free ones, and had you included the fact that UnThreat is unreliable, you wouldnt rate it as high as Avast etc, because well they are proven, and UnThreat is well,, not, well not in a good way at ll :)

If you really want me to post links to negative reviews of UnThreat i can, but usually only fanboys want that validation. or you could google it, they arent hard to find :)

If i didnt know better i would think youre marketing UnThreat :)

smallhagrid

Thank you:

Like i said UnThreat has been proven to let trojans through and leave a lot of garbage behind when attempting to clean. The assertion that because it uses VIPRE's engine somehow should make it seem highly respectable fails because VIPRE isnt great in the first place. Ask any tech with a shop who's had to clean up after VIPRE....

My posting of the link to the matrix was to give an overall indication of the free ones, and had you included the fact that UnThreat is unreliable, you wouldnt rate it as high as Avast etc, because well they are proven, and UnThreat is well,, not, well not in a good way at ll :)

If you really want me to post links to negative reviews of UnThreat i can, but usually only fanboys want that validation. or you could google it, they arent hard to find :)

If i didnt know better i would think youre marketing UnThreat :)

I would like to see where the mentioned proof is, please ??

As to cleaning, if something bad gets through I use any one of several bootable rescue disks with great care as it makes no sense to me to use an infected system to clean itself.

I have no reason to assert that the AV I am using is unreliable - perhaps you infer that I should take this position based solely upon your assertion ?? As I asked a couple of times in this thread, I will greatly appreciate seeing where others have exposed this as being a bad AV, please ??

As previously mentioned - I did search and found the only denigrations were made by those who were not users of it and were pointing the ugly stick at the name and/or company - but not at the performance of the AV itself.

(I even found some happy words by users over at Wilders, which surprised me.)

I am not a 'fanboy' of any AV nor do I have any affiliation with any of them.

My only claim is that I am a PC user who is tired of paying for an AV that massively slowed my system and who wants to find a better AV which is preferably 100% free and not just a free offering from a company that wants to sell me their 'pro' version.

As such I am in a perfect position to test whatever I'd like because I care nothing about any of them and can be objective in my observations.

Thus far my observation is that UnThreat is doing OK - but Privatefirewall is starting to piss me off again with it's way of asking over and over again about the same apps...

V/N P.C., + AVG 2013 FREE + MBAM PRO & ANTI-EXPLIOT KIT + P/FIREWALL PRO AND HITMAN PRO, FOR ME :rolleyes:

Hi folks,

Do anyone know of any Anti-Virus that allows shutdown fully online (aka while in Windows) ?

Thanks.

Archived