Can you guys please suggest which os is best for this laptop

Is it possible to install windows 7 or can i go with vista or xp

Please suggest best one with details like vista home or windows 7 starter etc.,

Thank You

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can install windows 7 32bit, but you will not be able to install a lot of apps because you have only 1GB RAM, I suggest to try to find a lite edition of the windows 7 I mean a modified edition for low hardware, if this is not convincing you, XP or linux will be the best solution

Your computer presumably meets the minimum requirements for both Windows 7 and Windows 8, and it really doesn't matter which edition you use with regard to system performance and limited hardware; however, you should definitely use a 32-bit OS. If I were you, I would install Windows 7 or Windows 8 (depending on which OS you prefer), and if it's too slow, I would downgrade to Windows XP.

You can get away with Windows 7 32-bit, but I'd also consider disabling the aero theme, using a custom theme patcher. I say this because dwm / aero use marginal cpu & mem which if you disable these you hand it back to your OS to use, BUT it will make your desktop look naff, so it's a trade off sadly. Like I say it doesn't use masses of cpu & mem, but it's just an option.

After doing that, look at disabling some un-needed services via the windows control panel, one of the best guides online for this is here :- http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

You can also get away with running Win 7's defender, and a low mem foot print antivirus. As already stated though, you'll not get much in the way of free space (approx 60gb free, from top of my head). You still can install quite a few programs but I'd only look at using your everyday apps of course, depending what you prefer doing, like video editing, design, you get what I mean :).

Edited : For the price of DDR2 sticks 2GB sticks, you could consider buying one of them. Windows will love the extra 1gb to play with, also look at using an usb flash stick if you have one (4gb or above) and using as readyboost.

A good guide here :- http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-enable-and-use-readyboost-in-windows-7-and-vista/

Hope that helps clarify some things, any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Regards

Dodel.

You can get away with Windows 7 32-bit, but I'd also consider disabling the aero theme, using a custom theme patcher. I say this because dwm / aero use marginal cpu & mem which if you disable these you hand it back to your OS to use, BUT it will make your desktop look naff, so it's a trade off sadly. Like I say it doesn't use masses of cpu & mem, but it's just an option.

After doing that, look at disabling some un-needed services via the windows control panel, one of the best guides online for this is here :- http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

You can also get away with running Win 7's defender, and a low mem foot print antivirus. As already stated though, you'll not get much in the way of free space (approx 60gb free, from top of my head). You still can install quite a few programs but I'd only look at using your everyday apps of course, depending what you prefer doing, like video editing, design, you get what I mean :).

Edited : For the price of DDR2 sticks 2GB sticks, you could consider buying one of them. Windows will love the extra 1gb to play with, also look at using an usb flash stick if you have one (4gb or above) and using as readyboost.

A good guide here :- http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-enable-and-use-readyboost-in-windows-7-and-vista/

Hope that helps clarify some things, any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Regards

Dodel.

what about vista i think i have recomended hardware for vista but no one is suggesting it so i wont use vista

As you said about readyboost i have 4GB memory stick so by using it does it meet the performance?

1Gb ram + 4Gb (memory stick) = equivalant to what speed?

Best O.S. for this hardware in Windows XP.

32 bit Windows Vista / 7 / 8 needs minimum 2 GB RAM in reality and 4 GB is recommended.

I know that Microsoft says 1 GB RAM for 32 bit Windows Vista / 7 / 8, but that's B.S.

what about vista i think i have recomended hardware for vista but no one is suggesting it so i wont use vista

As you said about readyboost i have 4GB memory stick so by using it does it meet the performance?

1Gb ram + 4Gb (memory stick) = equivalant to what speed?

Stay away from Vista, 7 offers better performance overall.

To answer you question in regards to readyboost, you will get some response time boost, but don't expect to get a super computer :) .

XP is an option but given it's now limted lifespan in regards to updates and online security I'd still skip and dive into 7, it's a minor trade off. You could do as Avmad suggested and go a linux flavour like red hat, suse or something if you have played it linux before, It's a steep learning curve if you have not!.

Dodel.

what about vista i think i have recommended hardware for vista but no one is suggesting it so i wont use vista

Windows 7 is, for the most part, lighter on system resources than Windows Vista; there is no reason to use Windows Vista. Your only real Windows options are Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

• Windows XP is the lightest on system resources, but it will stop receiving security updates in around nine months. I wouldn't recommend Windows XP for your needs.
  • Windows 7 is basically the new Windows XP with regard to stability and being a modern OS. I've worked with plenty of 1GB RAM laptops that handle Windows 7 just fine. If there are slowdowns, you might try disabling Aero and/or using ReadyBoost.
  • Windows 8 is also handles just fine on 1GB RAM laptops; in fact, some people claim their computers feel snappier after installing Windows 8 on their 1GB RAM laptops. The data also supports Windows 8 being less RAM-intensive than Windows 7, particularly on low-RAM machines. It's up to you to decide whether you want Windows 7 or Windows 8. Some people dislike, for example, the lack of a Start button. Windows 8 also has the option for ReadyBoost.

1Gb ram + 4Gb (memory stick) = equivalent to what speed?

RAM is always the fastest option, and ReadyBoost is no match for more RAM. That being said, you can check out the following link for some speed tests with regard to ReadyBoost, 512MB of RAM, and Windows Vista. Use those as a reference for what your speeds might be like: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2163/6

if you not going to upgrade rams or harddisk ! stay on windows xp

sometimes you need to upgrade .. i think (now is the time)

32 bit Windows Vista / 7 / 8 needs minimum 2 GB RAM in reality and 4 GB is recommended.

I know that Microsoft says 1 GB RAM for 32 bit Windows Vista / 7 / 8, but that's B.S.

I'm running 8.1 on an Asus netbook w/ 1 gig of memory just fine. Granted I uses it as a music player at work, but it runs without any hiccups.

PS: Cold boot to desktop/slacker radio.... 19 seconds... just saying

IMO Use Win XP Lite Edition either with Win 7 OR Win 8 Transformation Pack !!!

cause of the cpu power and ram I will go with XP and it will run smooth

I'm running 8.1 on an Asus netbook w/ 1 gig of memory just fine. Granted I uses it as a music player at work, but it runs without any hiccups.

That's not using your computer, it's single taking doeing a lite job.

For normal use (surfing, e-mailing, chatting and light Office work) is 2 GB RAM absolute minimum.

If you using several programs at once (like browser and e-mail clinet), 4 GB is recommended.

Windows Vista / 7 & 8 runs on 1 GB system, I know, but program's are running slow because Windows needs to swap more to the harddrive.

Windows 8 boots faster because the kernel of Windows 8 is stored in powered RAM when PC is off.

When you shut down Windows 8, the main part of Windows 8 is stored in RAM that's still powered when PC is off and that's why Windows 8 boots faster.

It's the same thing like you hibernate Windows 7 and wake the PC up.

That's not using your computer, it's single taking doeing a lite job.

For normal use (surfing, e-mailing, chatting and light Office work) is 2 GB RAM absolute minimum.

If you using several programs at once (like browser and e-mail clinet), 4 GB is recommended.

Windows Vista / 7 & 8 runs on 1 GB system, I know, but program's are running slow because Windows needs to swap more to the harddrive.

Windows 8 boots faster because the kernel of Windows 8 is stored in powered RAM when PC is off.

When you shut down Windows 8, the main part of Windows 8 is stored in RAM that's still powered when PC is off and that's why Windows 8 boots faster.

It's the same thing like you hibernate Windows 7 and wake the PC up.

so you are suggesting me to use windows xp is it?

Archived