Windows 8.1 to be invaded by ads within Bing search results

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Microsoft has announced that when the final version of Windows 8.1 is released, it will include ads inside the search results that are powered by the Bing engine.

J1H9Uwe.jpg

Microsoft uses its Bing engine to serve search results from inside Windows 8.1. Those results came from inside a person's PC, from their SkyDrive account or from the Internet. As it turns out, the Bing engine in Windows 8.1 will also serve up something that some people might not care for: ads.

In a post on the Bing Ads blog, Microsoft says that ads will be an "integral part" of the search features in Windows 8.1 when the final version of the OS update is released later this year. Microsoft says:

Now, with a single campaign setup, advertisers can connect with consumers across Bing, Yahoo! and the new Windows Search with highly relevant ads for their search queries. In addition, Bing Ads will include web previews of websites and the latest features like site links, location and call extensions, making it easier for consumers to complete tasks and for advertisers to drive qualified leads.

Microsoft already puts in banner ads inside many of its in-house Windows 8 apps and allows third party app developers to do the same. The blog states that with this new ad feature inside the search functions of Windows 8.1, it will offer benefits for companies who are looking for easier ways to present their products to the public. The blog also says that it will also provide "the best consumer experience with the most relevant results."

The blog does not mention anything about if Windows 8.1 users can choose to opt out of seeing ads when searching inside Windows 8.1.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 28
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,another (BIG!) reason for staying with Win7 !!

MidnightDistortions

This looks like it's all part of the start screen. Shockingly the $5.99 start menu is now worth it if you're stuck with 8 or like it's features. I already use Adblock Plus on Chrome which removes majority of the ads, including the annoying autoplay ads. :showoff:

another dumb member who thinks 7 is the best. and rather stay cool with the people who think using win 7 makes you a cool nerd in the internet world. Move on man, its almost 2014 and soon enough they gonna stop updating your OS.

its all the same man, win 8 got desktop mode too. you dont have to use the win 8 modern UI interface.

I use 8 eversince it came out on retail and i the new UI dont bother me at all nor use it.

like they said you can turn off bing.

stop badmouthing 8 and stay on your shell.

• Administrator

Not sure why one should not state their opinions, especially when they are not paid to stay quite.

Only the following kind would attack (bad-mouth) people using any other OS:-

Disclaimer:

Windows 8 may not work for the following types of Characters:

• The Vain
  • The Shills
  • The Dead
  • The Trolls
  • The Proud
  • The n00bs
  • The Sheep
  • The Dense
  • The Slaves
  • The Losers
  • The Biased
  • The MisFits
  • The Prudes
  • The Flaccid
  • The Dunces
  • The Morons
  • The Pussies
  • The Lamers
  • The KillJoys
  • The Gullible
  • The Jealous
  • The Rippers
  • The Retards
  • The Flamers
  • The Faggots
  • The Blamers
  • The Quitters
  • The Whiners
  • The ShitLess
  • The Dumbos
  • The Flunkies
  • The Stooges
  • The Lackeys
  • The FullCups
  • The Haughty
  • The Eunuchs
  • The Doubtful
  • The Paranoid
  • The Yes-Men
  • The Accusers
  • The Laggards
  • The Theorists
  • The Alarmists
  • The ImPotent
  • The Gamblers
  • The ImPatient
  • The CryBabies
  • The Comatose
  • The InCapable
  • The Weaklings
  • The Pessimists
  • The Apologists
  • The WorthLess
  • The Hypocrites
  • The Lamenters
  • The LukeWarm
  • The Ignoramus
  • The Pretenders
  • The Contended
  • The DisInclined
  • The PallBearers
  • The ShameLess
  • The ImPractical
  • The SpoilSports
  • The Know-It-All
  • The Astrologers
  • The Vanquished
  • The Speculators
  • The NumbSkulls
  • The GreenHorns
  • The Conformists
  • The Constipated
  • The SoothSayers
  • The Conspirators
  • The Philosophers
  • The UnCharitable
  • The DayDreamers
  • The non-Believers
  • The Escape Artists
  • The InCompetents
  • The OverConfident
  • The Living UnDead
  • The UnResourceful
  • The Breast Beaters
  • The Fuddy Duddies
  • The Procrastinators
  • The Rabble Rousers
  • The Non-Performers
  • The Rumor Mongers
  • The WindowsBashers
  • The FanBoyz & FanGals
  • The Don't-Fix-It-If-It's-Not-Broken

Edit-1:

Happy Windows 8 Users would be competent enough to disable unnecessary components thereby ensuring they do not make it into my Disclaimer.

Edit-2:

BTW, wise men post because they have something to say

Fools post because they have to say something.

Utter sweet words - you never know when you'll be made to eat them . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . for breakfast, lunch and dinner (so much for the "Why one should not state their opinions.")

MidnightDistortions

another dumb member who thinks 7 is the best. and rather stay cool with the people who think using win 7 makes you a cool nerd in the internet world. Move on man, its almost 2014 and soon enough they gonna stop updating your OS.

its all the same man, win 8 got desktop mode too. you dont have to use the win 8 modern UI interface.

I use 8 eversince it came out on retail and i the new UI dont bother me at all nor use it.

Funny thing, that's what some people said about XP when Vista first came out. You can fix Windows 8 to look and function better than Windows 7 but there are some users who think that buying a new OS every 3-4 years is just a waste of money when that OS lasts longer than that. Also it's XP that MS is dropping, not 7. Besides i don't see users flocking away from Xp yet, some companies are and i see that most of them have upgraded to 7.

It doesn't affect you one way or another if someone else chooses to stay with XP, Vista or 7. If you don't care about the new UI then it shouldn't bother you that users don't like Windows 8 because of the new UI.

Wind0ws 9 should now be a hot topic here. Never seen news about it here where it is already have a lot of talks about its release next year of October or November. The beta release should start on next year of January 2014. :think:

@nIGHT

If you believe a message from PCBeta, then Windows 9 may be released to the public in Nobember 2014. The magazine refers back to “internal sources”.

PCBeta also announces further dates: A beta should start on January 2014 around the “Consumer Electronics Show”. The date for a release candidate is set to June, the final release will be demanded in October or Nobember of the same year.

But don’t forget that Microsoft did not annouce anything concrete yet, so this informations remain speculative.

• Administrator

Expect lot of Windows 9 rumours as soon as Windows 8.1 officially releases. ;)

MidnightDistortions

I would imagine hearing something about Windows 9 already. I don't recall when but sometime after Windows 7 was released, Windows 8 was talked about.

• Administrator

I would imagine hearing something about Windows 9 already. I don't recall when but sometime after Windows 7 was released, Windows 8 was talked about.

"Windows 8 is going to be a cloud OS" was the first news about Windows 8 that released around or before the release of Windows 7. ;)

@nIGHT

If you believe a message from PCBeta, then Windows 9 may be released to the public in Nobember 2014. The magazine refers back to “internal sources”.

PCBeta also announces further dates: A beta should start on January 2014 around the “Consumer Electronics Show”. The date for a release candidate is set to June, the final release will be demanded in October or Nobember of the same year.

But don’t forget that Microsoft did not annouce anything concrete yet, so this informations remain speculative.

Yes that's the one site I read that news. But can't hardly wait for your comments on their speculations on how wind0ws 9 will be made. hehe!

I wonder what dcs, dkt and those smart ones here have to say about those speculations they have posted,

especially on the part where a microsh1t exec admitted that they are considering to remove the desktop completely or include just a partial desktop under metro. Unlike wind0ws 8 which has two os kernels running, wind0ws 9 will just have one and that will be the metro.

• Administrator

Inspite of having a large sources of news available to me that I read every day, I'm yet to come across any Windows 9 news in recent times, so can't comment.

While I fear that desktop will be removed in Windows 9 (not completely though), but very unlikely to say the least.

So you saying that 91.51% of all Windows users only 5.10% are smart and cool and others 86.16% (including me) are dumb? And for Windows 7 will be suported for long time! Long enugh to Microsoft release better OS than Windows 8.

You just register here and started insulting others!

windows_market_share_june_2013-730x501.p

So you saying that 91.51% of all Windows users only 5.10% are smart and cool and others 86.16% (including me) are dumb? And for Windows 7 will be suported for long time! Long enugh to Microsoft release better OS than Windows 8.

You just register here and started insulting others!

windows_market_share_june_2013-730x501.p

LOL.

Giving me statistics now huh.

To tell ya the truth i just hate how people diss windows 8. Windows 8 is GREAT. and btw, i think i've been here eversince not the forums tho but i've been visiting nsane for a long time now. 2005 maybe, i just dont talk alot nor troll alot like you. who has so many post and looking for peoples mistake and troll their post to make you more superior and look cool to your friends via this nsane forums.

Remember when nsanedown uses nsane.tk?

hopefully you were here that long.

so stop trolling.

and that statistic wont tell us anything, maybe alot of them dont realize how revolutionary windows 8 is cause how people like you troll and diss it everytime theres a windows 8 post.

Its a free country nor a free internet world.

Let them experience the power of 8

And last before I get so many post, Let me quote my self again.

like i said SOON ENOUGH THEY GONNA STOP SUPPORTING YOUR OS.

I did not state any date but before 8 ends you're so called 7 will be first

:P

Windows 8 revolutionary? :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't be ridiculous!

Cheers ;)

Just ignore him he is retard that came here to troll us!

To tell ya the truth i just hate how people diss windows 8. Windows 8 is GREAT. and btw, i think i've been here eversince not the forums tho but i've been visiting nsane for a long time now. 2005 maybe, i just dont talk alot nor troll alot like you. who has so many post and looking for peoples mistake and troll their post to make you more superior and look cool to your friends via this nsane forums.

so stop trolling.

and that statistic wont tell us anything, maybe alot of them dont realize how revolutionary windows 8 is cause how people like you troll and diss it everytime theres a windows 8 post.

i too am using win8, and find it better than win7, but it ain't nothing like revolution, it's just like 7 with some mods to make it faster after some mods to hide metro UI.. :P

7 users miss nothing compared to 8, but they do get some advantage, like more driver support, my bro's Sensation XE still doesn't work on win8 while rooting it, though 7 has full driver support, same was for me for my symbian phone previous year, 8 used to bsod like hell and still no symbian support (though symbian is dead now.. :P)

People say Vista SP2 isn't that bad too, and i'd agree as vista-win7-win8 all use same kernel v6...

I'd be curious if Win9 would use a kernel v7 from scratch, rather than again modding v6 to v6.4 or v6.5.. :)

• Administrator

7 users miss nothing compared to 8

Aero glass? Start Menu? Details pane? Lot of things that I for one miss. Yes, they can be brought back, and that's what I've done, but still, I miss the originality, goodness and the feel of Windows 7, which Windows 8 completely lacks.

I might be wrong here, but, nsane.tk was probably our secondary address, not primary one. The primary one was always nsaneproductions (.com?) and then nsanedown & nsaneforums.

Yeah, true that.

my badd, yeah mang it was nsaneproductions.com.

but i just always type the nsane.tk much easier to type.

yeah .tk domain...

It just much easier to remmber.

so stop trolling.

i too am using win8, and find it better than win7, but it ain't nothing like revolution, it's just like 7 with some mods to make it faster after some mods to hide metro UI.. :P

7 users miss nothing compared to 8, but they do get some advantage, like more driver support, my bro's Sensation XE still doesn't work on win8 while rooting it, though 7 has full driver support, same was for me for my symbian phone previous year, 8 used to bsod like hell and still no symbian support (though symbian is dead now.. :P)

People say Vista SP2 isn't that bad too, and i'd agree as vista-win7-win8 all use same kernel v6...

I'd be curious if Win9 would use a kernel v7 from scratch, rather than again modding v6 to v6.4 or v6.5.. :)

Yeah one thing suck about 8 tho.

(not their fault though, other companies responsibility to update their software)

(Since people bought it from them nor Pirate it)

BUT if your just a casual computer user like the most people and me

(College App Tools, multimedia DLs and Office tools and etc. -don't make stuff complicated, you know what im talking bout.)

that wouldn't make a difference.

:)

Yeah, feel ya.

like AUTOCAD2012 wont support 8 so i have to go back to 7 just a couple of months ago.

but waited and got AUTOCAD2013 which supports 8 features.

Archived