Windows 8 finally overtakes Vista

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Microsoft’s Windows 8 is now a more popular operating system than the reviled Windows Vista, eliminating a source of embarrassment as Microsoft’s latest OS slowly continues to gather steam.

According to Net Applications’ NetMarketshare tracker, Windows 8 captured 5.10 percent of all desktop systems the firm tracks for the month of June. Vista’s market share now stands at 4.62 percent. Of course, both will need a few months (or years) before they pass Windows XP and Windows 7, both of which dipped about half a percentage point’s worth of share to finish the month with 44.37 percent and 37.17 percent, respectively.

ZEeKPbK.png

Both Windows 7 and Windows XP’s sales are on the wane, Net Applications says, but it will be several years before Windows 8 passes them by.

There was good news on the browser front as well: Net Applications also reported that Internet Explorer 10 surged 4.26 percentage points to finish with 13.52 percent of the desktop market.

That marked the first time that IE10, which shipped with Windows 8 (but is also available for Windows 7), passed Internet Explorer 9.0, which fell 3.68 points to 11.71 percent of the desktop market.

Both numbers continue to verify the momentum for Windows 8, which has struggled to lift its head above both third-party operating systems, as well as its own rivals in the Microsoft nest.

Windows 8 passed Mac OS X 10.8 in February. If Windows 8 continues to increase its share at its current pace of about 0.5 percentage points per month—and if Windows XP continues to decline at about the same rate—Microsoft would need roughly 32 months, or until about February 2016, for Windows 8 to pass Windows XP.

Analytics firm StatCounter also put Windows 8 above Windows Vista in its worldwide measurements of browser data. StatCounter said that Windows 8 captured 6.44 percent of all PCs, versus 5.94 percent at the beginning of June. StatCounter said, however, that the versions of Mac OS X combined, at 8.52 percent, were still higher than Windows 8.

StatCounter also reported that Windows 8 passed Vista in June, when Vista share stood at 5.4 percent.

Browser standings

While the divisions between operating systems were relatively clear-cut, evaluating where the various browsers stand requires a bit more slicing and dicing of the data.

Overall, Net Applications puts IE in a commanding lead, with 56.15 percent of the market, versus 55.98 percent in May—thanks to Microsoft bundling IE with PCs, of course. Net Applications puts Firefox at 19.15 percent, down from 20.63 percent, and Chrome at 17.17 percent, down from 15.74 percent.

Combine all Chrome versions, however, as StatCounter does, and the total share for Chrome climbs to 42.19 percent, down from a high of 42.68 percent a month ago. StatCounter puts all versions of Firefox 5.0 and higher at a combined share of 19.14 percent.

The bottom line? Chrome, IE, and Firefox all remain viable browser platforms, with continued improvements to each.

gzLeKKD.png

If you combine the various versions of Chrome, as StatCounter does, Google’s browser is the most popular.

Case in point: At its recent Build 2013 conference, Microsoft announced Internet Explorer 11, which ships with the preview of Windows 8.1.

Although executives took pains to show how the new operating system is optimized for touch interfaces, it also boasts new under-the-hood improvements: up to 100 tabs, improved rendering performance, plus tabs and favorites that can be shared with other Microsoft platforms like Windows Phone. Microsoft also recently added bug bounties to ensure that IE remains secure.

Microsoft exited Build 2013 with momentum that it hasn’t had in some time. The latest information suggests that consumers agree.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, the focus has shifted towards Windows 8.1 taking away the bang out of this statistics.

smallhagrid

8 vs. vista...?

Brings to mind the idea of comparing a 'mere' case of leprosy vs. the black plague (with a heaping helping of M$-BOB added...).

In my world the M$ clock stopped dead after XP, and next comes Linux.

I don't appreciate the commercialized lobotomies that all the M$ OSes have become, at all.

Just my 2 cents though...most likely worth 0 cents !!!

MidnightDistortions

Windows 8 passes Vista currently except that Vista at one point had a higher user share so Windows 8 hasn't passed Vista imo. With users talking about 8 and 8.1 & the fact you see it in stores i think is the main reason it's gaining user share. Windows XP and 7 are still high up on the charts so we shall see within a few years although it seems the user share for XP is declining.

8 vs. vista...?

Brings to mind the idea of comparing a 'mere' case of leprosy vs. the black plague (with a heaping helping of M$-BOB added...).

In my world the M$ clock stopped dead after XP, and next comes Linux.

In my world - we do not even attend the funeral of an XP User (just my 2 cents.) 8)

Windows 8 is less than 1 year old and Vista more than six years old - quite impressive, but not at all surprising.

at the end of along long day W8 will pass also W7 , that the nature of this kinda stuff all the years :)

It took Windows 8 less than a year to overtake Vista.

When Vista was released, for nearly 3 of it's initial years it had only one competitor, XP - then, Windows 7 came on the scene.

When Windows 8 was released, it had to compete with Windows 7 and also XP - apart from Vista.

In short, had Windows 7 not been around - Windows 8 would've taken hardly any of the time it took to chew Vista.

• Administrator

If Windows 7 was not around, people wouldn't have even looked at Windows 8. :rolleyes:

• Administrator

I've only seen Neowin fanboys users with an argument as silly as that, so I always wanted to give an explanation. An explanation that a truth, in most cases, is always clear and needs no twisted explanation for it. :)

I don't think that was your most idiotic statement, on this thread - it was the blonde & mathematically wrong statement of the year.

As far as Neowin FanBoys Users goes - let me know if you wanna take FanBoyism further than this (but then, don't be a CryBaby - when I go ahead.) :)

• Administrator

It's easy for me to find big holes in arguments, just because I'm quite about things don't mean I don't wanna clear the facts, but thanks, I don't take (direct or indirect) threats. :)

w7 or w8 ? whose the best? whose the worst ? if u are a user that use your pc for daily tasks (gaming,browsing , watching movies,Mp3 .... ) you never notice (or care) :D

FWIW, I don't think anybody has ever . . . . . . . . . . . ever, in the history of nSane criticised Windows 8 as rabidly as I have, in the past. After me, nobody else has been so unequivocal about his criticisms of Windows 8 . . . . . . . . . . . until recent times.

I have uninstalled Windows 8 twice - coming back here to curse this OS loud, clear & furious with no mincing of words. Do you understand - you bloody Detractors who accuse me of FanBoyism - with snide and indirect cross references???

Win7 saturated the market and in this economic climate and the continual rise of tablets/smartphones it will never be surpassed, no matter what ( read may for haters) improvements MS bring to the os and from October next year we could have Win 8, 8.1. 8.2 and 9 . :lol:

MidnightDistortions

Win7 saturated the market and in this economic climate and the continual rise of tablets/smartphones it will never be surpassed, no matter what ( read may for haters) improvements MS bring to the os and from October next year we could have Win 8, 8.1. 8.2 and 9 . :lol:

I think MS realized that there is no getting majority of the users off of XP, Vista with Windows 7 so thats why they did WIndows 8. They knew that hardcore users may or may not like it & they certainly knew that developers would restore the start menu and users would customise their desktop so it might be possible that MS feels that keeping Win 7's start menu is pretty much pointless when they could have developers do it for them. I like to see how many MS employees use stardock or some other start menu alternative lol.

@ MidnightDistortions

My thought is that Microsoft ushered in Windows 8 only in the greed for profiteering. :thumbsdown:

As far as the market-share of Windows 7 is concerned, I can't think how any other OS would really be able to break the existing record it has already set (given the new Microsoft regime of frequent OS deployment - Microsoft has gone the Mozilla way, led by Google.)

MidnightDistortions

@dcs18:

You're right, Windows 8 is MS's money making machine :sneaky:.

If they can't make money off of purely on OS's they could turn to designing modern apps that will bring in more revenue. Users will just have to deal with the changes :duh: if they don't do this already: :pos: lol which could easily be averted if they look up tutorials or videos on how they can get their start menu back before they rage :lol:.

@ MidnightDistortions

My thought is that Microsoft ushered in Windows 8 only in the greed for profiteering. :thumbsdown:

@dcs18 MicroSh1t did not completely made wind0ws 8 all out of greed as it is time to replace the old kernel with a fast one like we have on wind0ws 8 with much lower memory requirement. Unlike wind0ws 7 which is just a tweaked vista. The only misfit with this upgrade is that it is not backward compatible with legacy softwares.

That statement of yours above is much suitable for wind0ws 9 my friend, as they are now considering totally removing the desktop or making the desktop just an app with partial feature, hence, a partial limited desktop. <_<

If that happens in the future of wind0ws 9, then maybe, new desktop software will arise like what happened to the rise of startmenu softwares and you could write a tutorial again to import that hud apocalypse for us. :D

Archived