Weird Windows 7 Bug

insanedown58

Whoopenstein

I get this sometimes when I hover the mouse pointer over the network icon when the computer first starts (internet access). It won't go away untill a reboot. I've seen it on every machine I have.

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
insanedown58

This bug has awkwardly been on every Windows 7 PC I have used. What happens is, when I pan on the Taskbar (to say press the start button) it always gets stuck and it shows the name pop-up. It happens randomly.

kz7aoxD.jpg

I think I figured it out... If there is no active window open for the icon you are hoovering over, it is going to show the tool tip. Open up an IE instance the re-hoover over the icon and the tool tip should go way.

Yup. Do the above and let us know if it happens.

Well it has that glow like when you hover pass a program.

• Administrator

Well it has that glow like when you hover pass a program.

Thing is, to confirm the problem, you have to hover over an opened program, not a closed one. Does it happen to a opened (running) software?

insanedown58
Hmm... who could possibly the culprit? I didn't double-install by accident the mobo drivers so could it be the currently installed programs?

I have a similar issue with Win7 x64 Ultimate; my issue is with random right-menu options sticking to the desktop. They sit on the very first layer of the screen... in front of full-screen video... but playing a game will remove it. I blame nVidia drivers, but now I am not so sure. Any ideas?

Can you guys try executing the following command using an elevated CMD:-

SFC /ScanNow

Since it can't find anything wrong I'll try and see if it still persists.

i don't think i've witness that bug, but have another one with the taskbar. when unplugging my external HDD, it sometimes stops to hide automatically. hopefully plugging another usb device makes it hide again

This bug has awkwardly been on every Windows 7 PC I have used. What happens is, when I pan on the Taskbar (to say press the start button) it always gets stuck and it shows the name pop-up. It happens randomly.

Your description is a little unclear. What I have seen on Win7 and Win8 machines is this, and maybe you can tell me if it's what you're seeing or maybe if it's what you're also seeing.

Once in a while, without warning, thumbnail previews that would normally appear for running programs on the taskbar, stop appearing. Instead, you get a tooltip with the name of the program, as you show for IE.

The only way I've found to temporarily fix this is logoff/logon or reboot or what's probably the easiest, kill any explorer.exe's in memory and then run explorer.exe from Task Manager.

I suspect this is some sort of video resource issue (I've never had high-end video cards), but that's just a guess. I currently have HD 3000 integrated.

... it has not made a re-occurrence on my system ... so far, so well. Thanks guys.

Cheers.

• Administrator

OK. Here's the deal. On Windows 7, I wasted almost 2 years trying to find a solution to this bug. Yes, it's a bug, a bug that's rarely reported online, however, almost all the Windows 7 users face it. In it, the thumbnails disappear from active / running processes in the task bar, and with some clever clicking you can fix the bug temporarily, but it will occur again and again. In 4 years of Windows 7, Microsoft has failed to fix this bug on it.

However, there's an easy way to fix this bug, and that is, wait for it, Windows 8. That's right, this bug has been completely fixed in Windows 8. Windows 8 has no problems when dealing with taskbar thumbnails (except videos running in other media players but that's besides).

When I installed Windows 8, this was the first thing I noticed, the fixing of the task bar thumbnails bug. One of the rare bugs I myself saw being fixed (instead of being created).

This is such an annoying bug, that if I had ever wanted to go back to Windows 7, I wouldn't, only because of this bug.

insanedown58

OK. Here's the deal. On Windows 7, I wasted almost 2 years trying to find a solution to this bug. Yes, it's a bug, a bug that's rarely reported online, however, almost all the Windows 7 users face it. In it, the thumbnails disappear from active / running processes in the task bar, and with some clever clicking you can fix the bug temporarily, but it will occur again and again. In 4 years of Windows 7, Microsoft has failed to fix this bug on it.

However, there's an easy way to fix this bug, and that is, wait for it, Windows 8. That's right, this bug has been completely fixed in Windows 8. Windows 8 has no problems when dealing with taskbar thumbnails (except videos running in other media players but that's besides).

When I installed Windows 8, this was the first thing I noticed, the fixing of the task bar thumbnails bug. One of the rare bugs I myself saw being fixed (instead of being created).

This is such an annoying bug, that if I had ever wanted to go back to Windows 7, I wouldn't, only because of this bug.

Exactly why I moved to Windows 8 and I stayed there. The only reason why I looked back was because there were bugs that did not concern Microsoft (ie: Cracks not working the same way, Adobe Reader lag) that kept on happening version after version.

Cracks not working the same way, Adobe Reader lag) that kept on happening version after version.

Which cracks are not working the same way for you??? :)

Cracks not working the same way, Adobe Reader lag) that kept on happening version after version.

I'm big-time into PDF and use 3 different PDF management software on an extensive basis - none, of which is Adobe Reader (as it has grown bloated and useless, in recent years.) :thumbsdown:

Adobe Reader (or any other software) will lag without discrimination to the OS - any OS.

insanedown58

I'm big-time into PDF and use 3 different PDF management software on an extensive basis - none, of which is Adobe Reader (as it has grown bloated and useless, in recent years.) :thumbsdown:

Adobe Reader (or any other software) will lag without discrimination to the OS - any OS.

TNod would crash randomly, the registry fix for Avira (which works on 7 below) no longer worked.. Adobe Reader is what I'm used to so I wouldn't prefer anything else.

TNod would crash randomly, the registry fix for Avira (which works on 7 below) no longer worked.. Adobe Reader is what I'm used to so I wouldn't prefer anything else.

TNoD is working here perfectly without any crashes on both my systems - Windows 8 and Windows 7, as well (it needs to be excluded, though.)

Can't comment about the registry fix for Avira as I have not had the opportunity to use it (maybe some other Avira User might like to throw in his 2 cents.)

Nobody is asking you to drop Adobe Reader or prefer some other alternative. If you read what I wrote, more carefully - you'll realize that I underlined without discrimination to the OS which means that Adobe Reader (or any other software) will lag as much or less on Windows 8 as it did on Windows 7 (other things like RAM and other environment variables, being identically equal.)

Having said that, the operational truth is that Programs are more responsive from within Windows 8 - this is a fact that even the most rabid Haters of Windows 8 have testified.

Now, coming back to the main issue, at hand - the bug reported above is just the tip of the iceberg.

The fact is that there are many more such Windows 7 bugs that Microsoft fixed by releasing Windows 8 - they could've fixed them in Windows 7, itself (the sad, hard & bitter fact of life is that they won't - they've got n ulterior motive, for that.)

Archived