Should I go for 32-Bit or 64-Bit?

insanedown58

insanedown58

Like I posted in a status, I am moving back to Windows 7. Now, I have this thing going on where I can't decide if I should go 32 or 64. Here's my system:

AMD A4-5300 3.4 GHz (64-bit supported Processor)

4 GB of RAM

80 GB of HDD Space

I don't plan to upgrade my RAM anytime soon. (Maybe in 2 years)

EDIT:

Apps I plan to run:

Left 4 Dead (and L4D2)

MS Office 2010

Adobe Photoshop (CS6 tops CS3 bottom)

Windows Live Movie Maker

GIMP

Audacity

Paint.NET

Oldest apps I might run:

Half-Life (and all the Expansion Packs)

Hitman: Silent Assassin

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

x64 all the way, no point in having a dual core / quad core and not making use of it, plus the mem limit of a 32bit address.

Blackchildcx

you have to grab *64 ;)

Like I posted in a status, I am moving back to Windows 7. Now, I have this thing going on where I can't decide if I should go 32 or 64.

. . . . . . . . . . if you neglect to follow the good advice proffered by the above folks and instead repeat the 32-bit mistake you made last time, you'll have to downgrade again - from Windows 7 to XP.

Of course 64-bit, but cracked Half-Life may not work on 64-bit Windows 7 or 8. If you have steam version of Half-Life games they will work 100% on 64 bit Windows.

Even with less than 3 GBs of RAM, my personal preference is to opt for x64-bit - when the RAM is upgraded, I don't have to start downloading, formatting and configuring all over again.

Even with less than 3 GBs of RAM, my personal preference is to opt for x64-bit - when the RAM is upgraded, I don't have to start downloading, formatting and configuring all over again.

This is very true... saves u a really big hassle gap in the end... no need to reinstall Windows since it would already be 64bit edition :)

• Administrator

64-bit definitely.

However, you need to get a new higher sized HDD though, 80GB seems quite less for them software / games.

64-bit definitely.

However, you need to get a new higher sized HDD though, 80GB seems quite less for them software / games.

Good point... maybe he can get a 320GB or so... but if its not originally a SATA HD... good luck finding bigger hard drives for the machine!

• Administrator

Good point... maybe he can get a 320GB or so... but if its not originally a SATA HD... good luck finding bigger hard drives for the machine!

Dunno, the processor looks new. So the computer should be.

insanedown58

I'll format the PC when I come back from School and it shall be x64. Also, this indeed is a new PC but the HDD was salvaged from an old one since we were so lazy to buy another. I only play like one game or so so its good.

I'll format the PC when I come back from School and it shall be x64. Also, this indeed is a new PC but the HDD was salvaged from an old one since we were so lazy to buy another. I only play like one game or so so its good.

Good plan... just remember you need about 4-6 hours of free time to complete the whole job (this includes installing special drivers and such necessities/Windows Updates at post-install of Windows)

was that 80 gig a typo...seems quite small...

I think it is 80 GB space on system drive. :think:

chlorophyll

hi frens.give suggestion for me too..

am running w7 ultimate

500gb HDD

4gb ram

intel corei3 processor 2.20 ghz processor

now am running a 32 bit version.thinking for fresh install within a couple of days.now tel me shall i install 64 bit ?

i doubt whether all softwares which r compatible with 32 bit wil run cool on 64 bit?

thank u

• Administrator

hi frens.give suggestion for me too..

am running w7 ultimate

500gb HDD

4gb ram

intel corei3 processor 2.20 ghz processor

now am running a 32 bit version.thinking for fresh install within a couple of days.now tel me shall i install 64 bit ?

i doubt whether all softwares which r compatible with 32 bit wil run cool on 64 bit?

thank u

Go for 64-bit. It'll be fine.

90-95% of 32-bit softwares work in 64-bit OS. With exception of security softwares (AV / FW, etc.) and drivers, for which, you need 64-bit version of them.

Archived