The Countdown Begins: 9 Days Until the Launch of Windows 8.1 Preview

Blackchildcx

Blackchildcx
Microsoft will officially introduce the new Windows 8.1 Preview on June 26 during the BUILD developer conference, so all eyes are now on the changes this important update is going to bring.

Just as the tech giant promised, Windows 8.1 is going to be a much more user friendly platform, so in addition to many other improvements, it’ll also bring back the traditional Start button.

Unfortunately for those who wanted the Start Menu back too, Microsoft has decided to focus on the Start screen exclusive, so the button will actually get users to this new screen instead of launching a menu.

In addition, the Start screen itself will also undergo a significant makeover, so in order to make it a bit more user friendly, Microsoft will introduce plenty of customization options, including new colors, backgrounds, and the possibility to use the desktop wallpaper on the Start screen as well.

Microsoft will also roll out a specific feature to allow users to completely skip the Metro UI and boot directly to desktop, which is actually one of the most requested features in Windows 8.

Last but not least, Microsoft is also going to pay much more attention to the installed Metro apps, so the Windows Store will also receive several important improvements.

Some new apps will be included too, such as Movie Moments and an alarm utility, both of which are very likely to be installed by default on all Windows 8.1 computers.

As said, June 26 will be the day that’ll witness the launch of Windows 8.1, but the stable version of the operating system is set to be unveiled later this year, most likely in August or September.

This update is also projected to spawn a new wave of devices, so expect new tablets, laptops, PCs, and hybrids to hit the market in the coming months.
if already known by everybody..delete topic;-)

• Replies 29
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blackchildcx

@ Blackchildcx

Original source needs to be added to the OP.

yep, youre right sry;-)

@ Blackchildcx

yep, youre right sry;-)

Thanks for the source link - just can't wait to lay hands on the 8.1 :rockon:

Blackchildcx

@ Blackchildcx

yep, youre right sry;-)

Thanks for the source link - just can't wait to lay hands on the 8.1 :rockon:

^_^

"Unfortunately for those who wanted the Start Menu back too, Microsoft has decided to focus on the Start screen exclusive, so the button will actually get users to this new screen instead of launching a menu."

What effin' BS is this?? Seriously MS?? You want to fail again?

Bring on Windows 8.2.. Sigh.

"Unfortunately for those who wanted the Start Menu back too, Microsoft has decided to focus on the Start screen exclusive, so the button will actually get users to this new screen instead of launching a menu."

fine by me.if anything that is good news for me.3rd party alternatives do a better job anyway ;)

would hardly call this a fail..or anything other than vista and that windows phone as a fail by microsoft...hate all you want but win8 and 8.1 is successful by definition

• Administrator

This is a known thing though.

Microsoft seems to have developed a habit of making crappy decisions.

Blackchildcx

anyway..M$ starts to bring WIN7 and WIN8 together,

I think Win 8.1 is a bit of an (upgrade)..

lets see...CANT WAIT!! B)

This is a known thing though.

I hadn't read Win 8.1 articles in detail, so I was expecting them to bring the whole menu back.. Just the button? I don't know, it just seems a half-assed solution and blatant shoveling of the start screen (& of course the store) down the throats of users. They're taking a big risk, seeing that they're barely fixing what so many people abhor.

(addressing some things brought to attention by others:) Sure, I know there are 3rd party alternatives out there, but the fact a 3rd party app is needed for something that was (and should be imo) part of the OS.. just feels wrong.

Since MS wants to seemingly "bruteforce-succeed" (good luck with that) with the start screen & Store (& attempt to generally push things to Appleish infrastructure-y direction).. They could have included the start menu as an option buried somewhere deep in the settings or so & just defaulted it to the start screen. I'd be fine by that. Surely most novice users who MS are mainly targeting with the start screen etc. wouldn't bother/want/be able to switch it to a menu. And seriously how would use such a mess of a combination of fullscreen (metro) apps & regular windows in a work environment?

I'm not saying it has to be a TOTAL fail.. I even myself feel compelled to install 8.1 due to the other "under the hood" improvements, at least when I upgrade my PC next time. I'll have to use a 3rd party start menu, but.. Guess one will just have to deal with it. I do hope ppl will vote with their wallets however & avoid buying this until MS comes to senses. Too bad MS will still boast great sales due to OEM sales.. Don't let start menu fade away! Start screen etc. seems to be possibly perfect for a tablet or touchscreen, but the combination of metro with regular windows UI is imo not smooth at all. Metro seems like a concept that should have been scrapped. Something similar to it could have been done that wouldn't have distracted from using Windows as we've been used to for years. It should have been an optional enhancement that shouldn't be so.. limiting. When I tried metro start screen/apps on a Win 8 machine.. I felt trapped in that Window/UI. It's nothing like Windows (one app at a time, WHY going towards stone age & against the whole concept of 'Windows'?), they should have called it "Boxes". Or maybe "Gates", heh.. :P

can't wait for 8.1 and will get start is back once there are no apparent bad little bugs in it

Let me put this this way - I see a bottle that's half full (and might probably have seen it as half empty instead, had I also been a Pessimist - or, just another Common Man who paid for his 8.1 through his bleeding nose.)

Those who want to bleat like a cock-pecked (I mean hen-pecked) sheep are always welcome to stick with Windows 8 or opt for Windows 7, Vista, XP or even Windows 98 (yeah, that's right - I spotted a Windows 98 at the Post Your Desktop topic very recently.) All the very best - to miserly free-boarding (and grumblin') pirates. :)

nice to hear it is coming. with or without that button or menu. i just love windows 8

and i think this is one of the operating systems that came with now you will use it. and i still love it. nicely running start is back and see no problems whatever.

so LET IT COME.

As far as the desktop versions of Windows 8.1 Preview are concerned, here are the official system requirements:

Processor: 1 GHz or faster
RAM: 1 GB for the 32-bit version or 2 GB for the 64-bit version
Free hard disk space: 16 GB for the 32-bit version or 20 GB for the 64-bit version
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

WKLzZgn.png

The update via Store consists of the following steps:

1.You start by installingan update packagefrom the Windows 8.1 Preview Download page.
2.When you restart after installing the update above, a system notification offersWindows 8.1 Preview. You can alsoopen the Store app to access the Windows 8.1 Preview descriptionpage.

image_683_zps6c7b189c.jpg

Note: This notification provides access to the Windows 8.1 Preview page in the Store, even if you are not signed-in with a Microsoft Account.

• 3.Click Downloadon the Windows 8.1 Preview page to beginthe update. Progress is shown similar to what you see for a Windows Store app. If you select the in-progress Windows 8.1 Preview install, the app bar gives you an option to Cancelthe installation.

From herethe installation works likea Windows 8 Electronic Software Distribution (ESD)installation, also called web setup. There is nointeractionneeded until after the restart.

Note: Once you reach the Downloading step, you can troubleshoot issues as you would Windows 8 setup. Windows setup is running beneath this interface, and the file actions and logging match that for Windows 8. Additional troubleshooting notes are provided in VKB.

• 4.When the first part of the update is complete, you will see a system notification to restart the PC. This includes a timer to restart automatically.
  • 5.After the restart, typical Windows setup progress screens are shown.
  • 6.Next you will see a license agreement to accept.
  • 7.Next are thesteps of theOut of Box Experience (OOBE). This follows the same Express/Customize workflow as Windows 8 setup.
  • 8.When completeyou will be able to sign in Windows.

OOBE Changes
There a few changes to be aware of in OOBE:

• Option to �€pdate my apps automatically�€�: This can be set to Noto disable the new automatic app updates provided for Windows Store apps. It can also be set later in Store Settings, App updates.
  • A two-step user verification is now shown to all users, even if you do not have this enabled for your account in general.After you sign-in with your Microsoft Account, you can send a code to verify your identity. This is sent to another email address or a phonenumberthat you previously added to the security settings for your Microsoft Account.You can skip this step.
  • Thereis a SkyDrive opt-in step you may see during OOBE. If you opt in, Windows saves your settings to SkyDrive for backup. Also, your default file save location and Camera roll location are set to SkyDrive.
  • If you are connected to the Internet during OOBE, there is no local account option provided. Only Microsoft Accounts can be used.
    • oIf you are signed in with a local account on Windows 8and update via Windows Store, you will be prompted to sign-in during OOBE, and then asked to add a Microsoft Account.
    • oIna custom installation you will be prompted to sign-in with or create a Microsoft Account.

Note:If a customer is blocked at the Microsoft Account step you can go back one step in OOBE and disconnect thenetwork connection. OOBE provides an option to proceed with a local accountwhenthe PC is disconnected.

FaiKee MDL

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/45828-Windows-8-1-Preview-Q-amp-A

Will this be a free update for Windows 8 users or do we have to pay? I heard they were moving to an annual subscription model for Windows Blue/8.1

Will this be a free update for Windows 8 users or do we have to pay? I heard they were moving to an annual subscription model for Windows Blue/8.1

Free update to Win 8.1. :)

donkey-girl
tezza, on 24 Jun 2013 - 11:29, said:
Codify, on 24 Jun 2013 - 11:13, said:

From XP/Vista/Win7 Free of charge :)

tezza, on 24 Jun 2013 - 11:29, said:
Codify, on 24 Jun 2013 - 11:13, said:

From XP/Vista/Win7 Free of charge :)

Afraid not, only for Win8 users.

@cyberber 26th June.

Ahead of Microsoft's BUILD 2013 developer conference in San Francisco, the company has posted the Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview for public consumption.

A number of editions are available for the Preview, including Essentials, Developers, Windows Azure and IT Professionals, and they will expire on January 15, 2014.

Direct links credits Tito

x64 Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Preview (x64) - DVD (English)

http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/8/4/4/844BC07D-A69B-4896-87B7-44DC20406F32/9431.0.WINMAIN_BLUEMP.130615-1214_X64FRE_SERVER_SOLUTION_EN-US-IMP_SSSO_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5.ISO

x64 Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Preview (x64) - DVD (English)

http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/F/A/2/FA25A7B6-F552-4B25-9908-7750E8955870/9431.0.WINMAIN_BLUEMP.130615-1214_X64FRE_SERVER_EN-US-IMP_SSS_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5.ISO

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Preview VHD (Server Core)

http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/6/9/4/6940B226-0AF5-476F-8822-7B437174944D/IMP_DC_x64FRE_EN-US.exe

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Preview VHD (Server with a GUI)

http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/6/9/4/6940B226-0AF5-476F-8822-7B437174944D/IMP_SSDCVHD_x64FRE_EN-US.exe

Datacenter Product Key:

JGXYY-7NMTC-MHKY3-QCC9B-VQRG7

Automatic Virtual Machine Activation (AVMA) Key for Datacenter Server:

XVNRV-9HTX4-TH2JD-HVJQD-QRQWG

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dn205286.aspx

Archived