How to migrate Windows 8 from Drive to SSD Drive

satanic

Hi to all.Hope you can give a Tip how to actually move my Present Windows 8 to a new SSD Drive without loss.I am using an older HP Pavvilion dv5000 Notebook with the Original Seagate ST980829A Hard Drive,80 GB and 8MB.

Since the PC is very slow,i tought to change the Original 80 GB Drive to a new SSD Drive,which i have not yet bought.

The main use of this Notebook is Surfing and mailing in the Web.

Will changing improve browsing and Mailing ?

Can you suggest a Transfer Software and a good SSD,of course not to expensive :rolleyes:

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi to all.Hope you can give a Tip how to actually move my Present Windows 8 to a new SSD Drive without lost.I am using an older HP Pavvilion dv5000 Notebook with the Original Seagate ST980829A Drive,80 GB and 8MB.

Since the PC is very slow,i tought to change teh Original 80 GB Drive to a new SSD Drive,which i have not yet bought.

The main use of this Notebook is Surfing and mailing in the Web.

Will changing improve browsing and Mailing ?

Can you suggest a Transfer Software and a good SSD,of course not to expensive :rolleyes:

I dont`know why it comes three times here :wub:

Some SSD's come with clone software (like the Plextor and Samsung SSD's).

The best clone software is the OEM version of Acronic Trueimage that comes with the Plextor SSD because the cloning happens outside your Windows environment in a sort of DOS environment.

The Samsung clone software happens in Windows itself and I had some problems with files in use that cannot be cloned like antivirus during the cloning.

Another good option is Norton Ghost (commercial) or HDClone (freeware/commercial).

Your notebook is really old, 2006. I don't think it would be worth it. Yes, bootups would be quicker and general use would very slightly improve but the system will still feel slow.

Transferring your OS is a bad thing to do also. Back up your stuff and start fresh.

Conclusion: Buying a SSD for a 2006 notebook is not worth it. I would suggest formatting and using "Windows XP Pro Performance Edition Dec 2009"

Your notebook is really old, 2006. I don't think it would be worth it. Yes, bootups would be quicker and general use would very slightly improve but the system will still feel slow.

Transferring your OS is a bad thing to do also. Back up your stuff and start fresh.

Conclusion: Buying a SSD for a 2006 notebook is not worth it. I would suggest formatting and using "Windows XP Pro Performance Edition Dec 2009"

Thanks Paft,its true the Harddrive runs on ATA and the SSD`s are for SATA which is not supported by my Notebook :-((

This i was told today by my Dealer :Mediamarkt and Atelco

Thanks anyhow for your reply on my Question

Ah yes, I didn't even check that. I assumed it would be SATA. Edit: It's been a long time since I've seen ATA. Forgot about it almost. :)

No problem.

All the new stuff is on SATA/ATA ports now pretty much, INCLUDING your optical drives now (and you probably didn't even know that ;))

Archived