win7 crackling sound when my PC turns off

laama

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to somehow prevent nasty crackling/POP sound from speakers at moment when my PC turns off.

It was not present when i used winXP, but now I'm using win7 and its very annoying, especially at night when everything is quiet, i shutdown my pc and loud POP sound scares the shit out of me.

It does not matter if i use speakers or headphones, POP comes from both of them.

Any idea?

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disconnect your speakers from the cabinet before shutting off to find out whether the root of the problem is the OS or the speaker(s.)

Right click on the desktop.

Go to personalize.

When the window pops up, go to sounds.

Then another window pops up, in program event menu, scroll down for Windows logoff and select that option.

Now, click on the sounds dropdown menu and select none from there.

Press ok and exit.

Capture.png

:lol: More like Ghost in the Machine :lol:

Hope U come right :rolleyes:

I'm lead to think driver issue, especially as it seemed fine on XP, I presume as you've upgraded to windows 7 32 / 64 bit, you've also attained the latest drivers for your sound card ?

Also, is it onboard sound or an sound card that can be swapped out ? (Type of audio setup, Intel chipset, 2:1, 5:1 , 7:1 surround et cetera)

@Rudrax, whilst that does mask the issue, it doesn't fix it. If you had a virus on your pc, would you disable the AV to stop the popups ?......

(I'd respectfully ask that you think about what your posting as a solution before offering it up)

Regards

Dodel.

@Rudrax, whilst that does mask the issue, it doesn't fix it. If you had a virus on your pc, would you disable the AV to stop the popups ?......

(I'd respectfully ask that you think about what your posting as a solution before offering it up)

The OP has given very little amount of data depending upon which I prepared my post. He didn't tell us whether the POP sound comes from windows or some other 3rd parties. If one can't state his problem exactly, screenshot(s) is appreciable.

as with any powered speaker , it relies on an input from a source to generate sound (in this case ,your soundcard)..

i have been lucky enough to run various high end soundcards either attached via firewire or usb , to reference monitors , and on a few of my cards i also have had a bit of a popping sound at shutdown , and also during re-initialization in windows . however to be fair i have recently acquired a Roland USB card that seems to not exhibit those traits , so i can only imagine that it is how quickly the driver gets loaded ,or unloaded in the OS (and i will absolutely agree with @Dodel in this regard) make sure you have the correct , and most stable drivers loaded .

im sure a google search will yield results if this is a problem common to your setup that you're running ..

the other suggestion (as mentioned by @dcs18) and if driver issues are not the culprit..., is to simply put the speakers off prior to switching the system off. this should avoid any of those popping sounds being sent by output stage transformers or ad/da convertors in your soundcard to your speakers /headphones ,during the powering up or down stage .

peace

Archived