The best compression with WinRAR?

TheAslan

What really is the best compression method in WinRAR? If I choose "Best" it will compress the file, but is there even better method to compress files? Maybe slower but better way?

• Replies 4
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
broascadilie

I am also curious about this.Sometimes when i compress files with from Normal and up,i get kinda the same size.What settings should we chose for real maximum compresion.I dont care if it takes even half an hour.

What really is the best compression method in WinRAR? If I choose "Best" it will compress the file, but is there even better method to compress files? Maybe slower but better way?

Set compression to best and option to "solid archive".

I am also curious about this.Sometimes when i compress files with from Normal and up,i get kinda the same size.What settings should we chose for real maximum compresion.I dont care if it takes even half an hour.

That is because some files will already use its own compression or just isn't compressible.

If you guys want better compression then what WinRAR provides I would recommend using 7zip with LZMA2 setting, with your max free ram and largest dictionary. Problem though however is that you also need decent specs to extract so keep i mind when compressing for other people.

A few days ago I've downloaded a linux live USB which was 7.2 GB in size but the file I downloaded was just 149 MB. Amazing, isn't it? The file I downloaded was compressed with 7z to get that value. But when You try to compress a media file, the size remains almost the same. It's no use to compress a media file.

Archive Format:

RAR5

Compression method:

Best

Archiving options:

Create solid archives

Dictionary size:

Use this as per the processing capabilities of your CPU (default = 32 MBs, generally recommended = 128 MBs and my personal preference = 1,024 MBs)

Caution:

• RAR5 cannot be used as a redistributable unless all Recipients are running WinRAR V5
  • My setting of Dictionary size will really hog most CPUs during a compress/decompress:-

2LdtYV6.png

Archived