Expanded network connections in Windows 7 Start Menu

johndoe

Hello everyone, looking for a bit of advice here... I recently (February) switched from XP to Windows 7 as my main operating system. Although I love Windows 7 now, I'm having just one minor niggle since switching.

I had set up windows XP such that network connections was an expanding item on the start menu so that I could quickly switch between active internet connections (I use two connections) with a couple of mouse clicks.

Unfortunately, I find that I cannot enable said functionality on Windows 7. While I am able to set up "Computer" and ":Control Panel" as expanding start menu items, the same is not true for network connections. Can anybody help me with this please?

For clarification of what I seek to accomplish, please see following image taken from here:

bKEONDus.jpg

Muchas gracias!

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another possibility that comes quickly to mind is to change your options ( at Taskbar and Start Menu Properties) from Display as a link >>----> Display as a menu - the illustration below is from Windows 8 (please disregard the same):-

Sbp2T7N.png

thats exactly it. i already have computer and control panels set as "display as menu" BUT no damn option for network connections

BUT no damn option for network connections

LOL, no option here, either (in StartIsBack - for Windows 8.)

and therein lies my problem, my friend. it was present in windows xp. retards removed it for windows 7.

maybe there's a reg tweak or policy or some such to re-enable it...

maybe there's a reg tweak or policy or some such to re-enable it...

Shall check that out once I get my hands on my laptop - hope somebody can better that, in the meanwhile. :)

you dont need to expand it because you already have the connetions in system try click network icon (wifi or lan) to view / connect to what u want also your vpn / dialup connections will be displayed

well i do need it. one of the two connections i use is wifi, the other is LAN. my wifi is my main connection. the LAN connection is my backup connection with a per month data transfer limit which is why i keep it disabled (i.e., LAN adapter disabled) hence it doesn't show up in the system tray.

the point of having it in the menu is, i just hit start menu and click the connection to enable and connect and from the same menu right click to disable wifi connection if the link is down

Archived