Windows Time messed up

insanedown58

insanedown58

Now I know what you're thinking, why not just by a new CMOS Battery right? Well I did. And it worked for a month then bam! Its broken again. I know it isn't the CMOS because I tried switching my dad's cmos with mine and his Windows 7 PC still worked. The BIOS time is also wrong but correcting the time doesn't change anything at all. The date would be right but the time would be hours late.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Airstream_Bill

Only had that problem when I used a College Version of Windows XP Pro that was for an Egyptian College. I have no ideas other than Setting you time to a different Country and then changing it back to wherever you are. That may be worth a try???

Good Luck.

Airstream_Bill

Now I know what you're thinking, why not just by a new CMOS Battery right? Well I did. And it worked for a month then bam! Its broken again. I know it isn't the CMOS because I tried switching my dad's cmos with mine and his Windows 7 PC still worked. The BIOS time is also wrong but correcting the time doesn't change anything at all. The date would be right but the time would be hours late.

Have you gone here and tried any of Microsoft's Solutions? http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

insanedown58

It didn't work. Could it be the motherboard? or the installation?

Have you set it to sync with the internet - you need to also test the Time server that's been selected (change the server if it's not connecting on the first try.)

insanedown58

The entire thing is set well. I even tried all the default Time Servers including the one in my country but they never sync automatically.

Check for the following:-

• Interval time between 2 internet synchronization and
  • Firewall rules if misconfigured that could be preventing syncs

insanedown58

Check for the following:-

• Interval time between 2 internet synchronization and
  • Firewall rules if misconfigured that could be preventing syncs

How do I edit the Interval time and what should it be?

Firewall (Windows Firewall) is properly configured.

How do I edit the Interval time and what should it be?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\w32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient]

SpecialPollInterval

The default is 7 days (604800 seconds - you can modify this to the equivalent seconds for less number of days.)

Try for a BIOS update - if unavailable, flash the present one again (your BIOS could've gone corrupt.)

insanedown58

.. could it be the drivers? I'm very uncomfortable with re-flashing my BIOS since it isn't my "thing" you know. I also don't want to be held responsible if all hell breaks loose in my BIOS since I technically didn't build my PC. I chose the parts and paid a guy to put it all together.

I chose the parts and paid a guy to put it all together.

Since you've paid that guy, I'd make him take a hard look at the anomaly.

Archived