External HDD encryption software?

capt_blake

capt_blake

Hi everyone!

I have a question and would be grateful for any opinion!

I am seeking a recommendation / suggestion for encryption software to primarily use to secure an external HDD.
I am mostly thinking of the purpose to prevent data theft in the unlucky case should the disk gets stolen.
If the program is powerful, with many advanced options and intuitive to use at the same time…would be great! :rolleyes:

I haven’t tested anything to date…only ‘have’ Symantec Endpoint Encryption…but from what I ‘hear’, this is a probably too complicated and not so user-friendly software, right?

Big thanks to everyone who’d share their experience! :)

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TrueCrypt :showoff: :hypocrite:

BUT

• Full support for Windows 8
  • Ability to encrypt Windows system partitions/drives on UEFI-based computers (GPT)
  • Command line options for volume creation (already implemented in Linux and Mac OS X versions)
  • 'Raw' CD/DVD volumes

and more.

capt_blake

Thank you for the response, wdm :)

TrueCrypt is already on my list to try.

However, any ideas for non-opensource, i.e. commercial software?

I don't presume they are better...just curious :)

Thanks.

if you ask me , i dont trust open source software much even they can be a great way.

my chosen software will be http://www.jetico.com/products/enterprise-data-protection/bestcrypt-volume-encryption

i use it for some years as a container encryption and it always work 100%.

also there is a 100% cure for it so it may server as a good alternative for open source one ;)

Have used Steganos in the past just for a fling - can't say they are the very best (wish they would release updates as often as they once used to.) :)

capt_blake

if you ask me , i dont trust open source software much even they can be a great way.

my chosen software will be http://www.jetico.com/products/enterprise-data-protection/bestcrypt-volume-encryption

i use it for some years as a container encryption and it always work 100%.

also there is a 100% cure for it so it may server as a good alternative for open source one ;)

Great! Thanks a lot, demoneye! :)
I’ve just obtained (warez): Jetico BestCrypt Volume Encryption v.3.50.05; and Jetico BestCrypt v8.25.2.2.
Both fixed – CRD.
This commercial software will be the first I’ll try! :rolleyes:
…Symantec may go second, as it stands now.
Very grateful for the info! :)

capt_blake

Have used Steganos in the past just for a fling - can't say they are the very best (wish they would release updates as often as they once used to.) :)

Thank you much, dcs18 :)

Right, then I would skip the Steganos solutions for now, but could later read what they offer.

I've somehow...I don't know why, ignored to date their security suites, etc.

Appreciated :)

I don't know why, ignored to date their security suites, etc.

Yep, I've avoided the Steganos Privacy Suite, myself - was using the Steganos Safe, instead. :)

capt_blake
Off-topic:
...only to note the reason why I've changed my forum’s country flag.
I am certainly not Swiss (though I've worked there for a year a few years ago; Zurich is a decent place to live in B) ).
Well, I am not Polish either. But at least this way my e-venue doesn't ‘sound’ so wealthy and thus is closer to the truth. :rolleyes:
Indeed, it is totally unimportant, however: I am sorry for not revealing my true nationality.
The “services” in my country are veeeery curious lately and, additionally, full of semi-competent schmucks :unsure: :lol:

capt_blake
I don't know why, ignored to date their security suites, etc.

Yep, I've avoided the Steganos Privacy Suite, myself - was using the Steganos Safe, instead. :)

Hmm, you know, I was just reading its description...(after you mentioned it specifically) -

- Steganos Safe looks also interesting and definitely worth testing.

Unfortunately, there is still no cure for the latest version (v.14).

...Fixes are available for v.13.X.

Off-topic:
I am certainly not Swiss (though I've worked there for a year a few years ago; Zurich is a decent place to live in B) ).
Well, I am not Polish either. But at least this way my e-venue doesn't ‘sound’ so wealthy and thus is closer to the truth. :rolleyes:
Indeed, it is totally unimportant, however: I am sorry for not revealing my true nationality.
The “services” in my country are veeeery curious lately and, additionally, full of semi-competent schmucks :unsure: :lol:

where ever u are mate You will be always welcome :)

capt_blake
Off-topic:

where ever u are mate You will be always welcome :)

Thank you for your kindness! :)

More than likely have backdoors built into them for law enforcement!

Archived