Memory card problem

rudrax

A friend brought a microSD card to me. He was try to format his memory card but for some reason it can't be formatted and windows shows the following pop up:

13vHb6s.png

E3ZusvV.png

There are some files inside the folder. When I manually delete them, they goes deleted but after refreshing the windows, those files come again.

I tried fast format and slow format. Both are failed to format that drive. Any help?

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steps to format SD card from Disk Management

a. Click Start and go to Control Panel.

b. Click Administrative Tools and then click Computer Management

c. When that window opens you can click on Disk Management and find the device in the drive viewer.

d. Then you can right click on the drive and select Format and see if using this utility from the Disk Management helps resolve your issue.

You might also try going back to the manufacturer to see if they have a support document or utility that will reformat the drive to original specifications.

is the card locked? how big is the card...2 gigs 8 gigs is there a problem with your card reader,,, are you formatting to fat32 or NTSF

Steps to format SD card from Disk Management

a. Click Start and go to Control Panel.

b. Click Administrative Tools and then click Computer Management

c. When that window opens you can click on Disk Management and find the device in the drive viewer.

d. Then you can right click on the drive and select Format and see if using this utility from the Disk Management helps resolve your issue.

You might also try going back to the manufacturer to see if they have a support document or utility that will reformat the drive to original specifications.

is the card locked? how big is the card...2 gigs 8 gigs is there a problem with your card reader,,, are you formatting to fat32 or NTSF

From disk management, the following error is obtained:

uUDy1wV.png

How does a SD card gets locked?

It's 2 Gigs.

Tried with other card reader too.

Tried with NTFS but the same "unable to format" error.

there should be a little white sliding tab on the side of card... that locks it so it cannot be accidentally erased ...or unlocks it so it can be erased..first though, try formatting in fat32

The adapter of a SD card contains the slider for locking..The one I'm using is a multi-card reader and it does not contain any kind of locking mechanism.

the card reader will not have the lock/unlock tab...the card itself will have the lock/unlock tab.if it is a micro sd card the tab will be on the adapter NOT the micro card..place the micro sd card into the adapter... then into the reader

the above post from Yuuup! is good and has a link for a free program to help you

Capture.png

The tool says that the card is right protected. But I can write any file from my computer to the card.

Tried chkdsk. It finds no error.

Tried scanning with Webroot and MBAM. Finds no infection.

never thought to add photos to my description... pictures are worth a thousand words....the red arrow points to the lock/unlock sliding tab on the adapter

Capture.png

The tool says that the card is right protected. But I can write any file from my computer to the card.

Tried chkdsk. It finds no error.

Tried scanning with Webroot and MBAM. Finds no infection.

Micro_SD_to_SD_adapter.jpg

Even with data cable, it says "write protected". And, why don't you see the fact - if the card is really write protected, then how I be able to move file into it from my computer?

was this card used in any device before you place it into your computer to format it... example,,, a camera or an mp3 player..if so put the card back in that device and attach that device to your computer with the device's usb cable..then attempt to delete or format it from the actual device through my computer...have you actually slid that white tab up or down on the adapter with the micro card inside the adapter while attached to your computer? and again have to tried fat 32 format...going out for a few hours here be back later

it seems the card is faulty... when its impossible to erase ( and the card is not locked) normaly the memory cells died

was this card used in any device before you place it into your computer to format it... example,,, a camera or an mp3 player..if so put the card back in that device and attach that device to your computer with the device's usb cable..then attempt to delete or format it from the actual device through my computer...have you actually slid that white tab up or down on the adapter with the micro card inside the adapter while attached to your computer? and again have to tried fat 32 format...going out for a few hours here be back later

The card was in a mobile phone. Tried putting it back in the mobile phone attached a data cable and tried formatting again - no luck. Tried formatting with all kinds of file systems available.

rahuldohare

formate memory card in safe mode and before formate, memory card insert in micro adapter and do not insert in mobile phone.

if the above don't work i would hazard a guess your card is screwed and time to get a new one..sd cards just do not last for ever they are quite inexpensive here..not sure about your country tho

A friend brought a microSD card to me. He was try to format his memory card but for some reason it can't be formatted. . . . . .

Just my 2 cents - SD cards from the cellphone should not be formatted through a computer. ;)

Yep, they recommend formatting through the system. Been doing that until recently (until them damn things started failing on the phone.) Hence, I use the cellphone, nowadays. :dunno:

insanedown58

I think the card's dead. I have had numerous experiences with cards being corrupted by a phone when it restores factory defaults, moves a file or when I put it in there that's why I buy a new phone every 3 microSD card that it corrupts (that's a little bit too much?).

Try formatting the card on another computer. If it still can't be formatted, the card is most likely faulty.

A friend brought a microSD card to me. He was try to format his memory card but for some reason it can't be formatted. . . . . .

Just my 2 cents - SD cards from the cellphone should not be formatted through a computer. ;)

I was doing the business till now except for this card without any issue. The advice may be due to - if one formats the memory card with NTFS, it will not be supported by cell phones.

This is just a guide for n00bs :lol:

Yep, they recommend formatting through the system. Been doing that until recently (until them damn things started failing on the phone.) Hence, I use the cellphone, nowadays. :dunno:

Tried formatting with cell phone too. Format it - the card goes empty. Now get the card out and insert it again - all the deleted files gets back automatically.

I think the card's dead. I have had numerous experiences with cards being corrupted by a phone when it restores factory defaults, moves a file or when I put it in there that's why I buy a new phone every 3 microSD card that it corrupts (that's a little bit too much?).

Thanks for sharing your experience :)

Try formatting the card on another computer. If it still can't be formatted, the card is most likely faulty.

Tried already. Now I think, the card is dead.

rest in peace

Well, the memory card rests in pieces now :rofl:

Archived