Windows 8 Safely Remove Device

mastermindsos

mastermindsos

Hi,

I have a weird problem in my Windows 8 where I need to click safely remove twice to eject my thumbdrive, everytime....

The first try, windows will say my device is still in use. I have unlocker, and I have checked, nothing is locking my device.

The 2nd try will be successful.

Is there anyone of you experiencing this? I dont have such problem when I used Windows 7 previously.

Is there a way to solve this?

Many thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
someone there

Disable write caching

1. Plug your USB drive into your PC, then open Device Manager. (Note: These steps are based on Windows 7)

2. Expand Disk Drives, then find the entry for your removable drive. On my system, for example, it's called "USB2.0 Flash Disk USB Device."

3. Right-click that entry, then click Properties.

4. Click the Policies tab; you should see something like this:

usb20drive20quick20removal-11354575.jpg

5. If the first option, Quick removal, is already selected, you're good to go. As noted in its description, "you can disconnect the device safely without using the Safely Remove Hardware notification icon." If Better performance is selected, switch to Quick removal and click OK.

Source :

usb safely remove...great little program... and you can also use it to lock a specific letters to a specific drives quite easily...can be found here at nsane under "other system tools" using win 8 64 bit here

mastermindsos

4. Click the Policies tab; you should see something like this:

5. If the first option, Quick removal, is already selected, you're good to go. As noted in its description, "you can disconnect the device safely without using the Safely Remove Hardware notification icon." If Better performance is selected, switch to Quick removal and click OK.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. My thumbdrive is set for quick removal by default.

It seems, all thumbdrives I have are having this issue.

But my external harddisk does not have this issue.

mastermindsos

usb safely remove...great little program... and you can also use it to lock a specific letters to a specific drives quite easily...can be found here at nsane under "other system tools" using win 8 64 bit here

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it if this problem cannot be solved.

someone there

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. My thumbdrive is set for quick removal by default.

It seems, all thumbdrives I have are having this issue.

But my external harddisk does not have this issue.

Then you can disconnect the device safely without using the Safely Remove Hardware notification icon

Is there anyone of you experiencing this? I dont have such problem when I used Windows 7 previously.

I had that issue on my Windows 7 - it works fine on my Windows 8.

mastermindsos

I had that issue on my Windows 7 - it works fine on my Windows 8.

Did you manage to fix it in your Windows 7?

I formatted my thumbddrive, still have the same problem. It is not a big problem, just annoying to click safely remove twice.

Did you manage to fix it in your Windows 7?

Yes & no - that was a Company-owned system, formatted with an (x86) bit OS displaying the problem you reported.

When I reformatted it to (x64) bit, I discovered one day, that the issue was resolved - unfortunately, never got to learn how. :(

mastermindsos

So I tried using USB Safely Remove.

2013_04_20_142554.png

2013_04_20_142654.png

2013_04_20_142738.png

As you can see above, I need to click 3 times instead of twice if I use windows default device remover :lol:

But the funniest part is, the device came back to life right after I removed it. :s It goes in a loop. I can't remove it.

2013_04_20_142847.png

It's for Win7 but you could try this:

In Window7 under the Power Saver, settings Change when computer goes to Sleep. There is Advantanced Settings, Go down to and open USB settings. Click USB selective suspend settings. under setting click , Disabled.

Or this: (in the "Resolution" section you can choose per device or global)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2401954

Archived