[Help] Windows 7 32bit Ram Problem

ASIO

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

32-bit Windows has limit of 3.3GB. You need to use 64-bit Windows in order to utilize 3.3GB+ RAM (upto 128GB RAM I think). And avoid using softwares that promise to give you 4GB on 32-bit OS, I'd rather not play with the core functionality of Windows - best to use 64-bit.

EDIT: Moved to Software Chat.

32-bit Windows has limit of 3.3GB. You need to use 64-bit Windows in order to utilize 3.3GB+ RAM (upto 128GB RAM I think). And avoid using softwares that promise to give you 4GB on 32-bit OS, I'd rather not play with the core functionality of Windows - best to use 64-bit.

Hmm ... but the remaining 521 mb ram is reserved by hardware see screen shot

312uttw.png

This is correct info... maybe you should've done the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if you get a 64bit report (if you get a 64bit report, this means that all your hardware has drivers for 64bit edition :))

Please note that in order to run 64bit edition of Windows... ALL hardware needs a 64bit driver for it... otherwise u are screwed and need to upgrade a part or two!

This is correct info... maybe you should've done the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if you get a 64bit report (if you get a 64bit report, this means that all your hardware has drivers for 64bit edition :))

simple way to check 64 bit compatibility : see screen shot :

156y9tt.png

:read: Windows 7 64-bit has multiple benefits: in 32-bit version of Windows, we can use a maximum of 4GB of RAM. In 64-bit versions of Windows 7, but also of other operating systems as Ubuntu, with 4Gb go much faster, and we have the possibility of bringing the ram to 8 or 16 GB, with a greater chance of future upgrades. With a 32 bit operating system, theoretically we can use up to 4 GB of RAM, but 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 see a maximum of 3.12 GB. With the 64-bit we use fully all 4GB of RAM. Greater security with 64-bit Windows. All device drivers to 64 bits are digitally signed, which means no crash randomly. We will also offer the Kernel Patch Protection, always with the 64-bit Windows 7. THE 64-bit systems thanks to the greater amount of RAM, are more reactive, especially when performing complex applications or we work with many applications at the same time. If you use graphics applications like Photoshop, video editing, gaming, CAD, etc. , and good use 64 bits. Yet not all applications have 64-bit versions, but i guess that as soon as Windows 7 will start to take foot, certainly come out. In the meantime know that 32-bit versions of the programs, work well under 64, but it is not worth the contrary (64 to 32). ;)

ASIO: Yeah that's the fast way... but I like to use the upgrade advisor program to let it check all the hardware in one's machine to make sure there are going to be 64bit ready drivers for all the devices in the machine... if that makes any sense to you....

Most manufacturers have 64bit drivers avail for everything in a machine tho... not too much of an issue these days, but u never know ;)

:naughty: There are some situations where it is better to stay with 32-bit versions of Windows 7: If you are using only 2GB of RAM, and does not plan to increase the amount in a short time. In order to take full advantage of the 64-bit Windows 7, you need at least 4 GB of RAM. If you have scanners and printers that do not have the device drivers to 64-bit. The 32-bit drivers are not supported by 64-bit versions of Windows 7, therefore, it is recommended to ensure that all devices are compatible with the 64-bit. :coolwink:

• Administrator

It will say that cause it cannot utilize that RAM.

simple way to check 64 bit compatibility : see screen shot :

That probably doesn't say a lot. Probably has to do with your CPU - whether your CPU supports 64bit or not.

As mentioned above, you need proper 64-bit drivers for 64-bit OS. Fortunately, any device released around or before Windows 7 does have a 64-bit driver. :)

It will say that cause it cannot utilize that RAM.

>simple way to check 64 bit compatibility : see screen shot :

That probably doesn't say a lot. Probably has to do with your CPU - whether your CPU supports 64bit or not.

As mentioned above, you need proper 64-bit drivers for 64-bit OS. Fortunately, any device released around or before Windows 7 does have a 64-bit driver. :)

Yep... I do remember Microsoft saying that ALL of the hardware in a machine must have 64bit drivers if u are planning to use 64bit Windows... but as you said... almost every device made for Windows 7 has a 64bit driver (since 64bit was preloaded to all machines in 2009 and up to Windows 8 release)

unknownasphyxiated

reserved for intel graphic chipset

Windows 7 32-bit reserves ram for hardware...Bios and graphics card. It is in the 4 GB space that is the max Win 7 32 bit can use. However much RAM the graphics card has will be system reserved and unusable.

reserved for intel graphic chipset

hmm.... thanks a lot

I have 4 gb ram but windows 7 only using 3.49 gb of ram... What is the problem ???

o8dugo.png

I do not see any problems here. All are absolutely normal.

Just a little heads-up:-

Provided the system consists of a (x64-bit) architecture, one does not really need to perform any other litmus test(s) to determine whether a (x64-bit) OS can be installed. :D

Windows (x64-bit) can be installed with RAM as meager as 1 GB - I've installed it even on systems with merely 512 MBs of RAM. Of course, such systems will run optimally only with a (x-32-bit) OS.

Now, what is the reason for doing this, it's simple - RAM has become dirt cheap and one can add RAM as and when one has windfalls (I've got 16 GBs accumulated over a period of 6 months.) The benefit is that one does not have to incur the headache that a reformat brings in migrating from (x32-bit) to (x64-bit.) :frusty:

Archived