Looking to add Desktop Gadgets in Windows 8? Look No Further!

LiLmEgZ

One of the features missing in Microsoft’s latest operating system Windows 8 is desktop gadget support. Gadgets are programs that make their functionality directly available on the desktop. They were first introduced in Windows Vista limited to a sidebar area on the desktop, and then improved under Windows 7 where they can be placed anywhere on the screen. Microsoft recently released a security advisory that suggested to disable Windows Sidebar and Gadgets to protect the operating system against security vulnerabilities that exploit the feature.

Microsoft in addition has retired the official gadget directory on the Microsoft website, and removed options to install gadgets on its newest operating system Windows 8.

While there is no official option to add desktop gadget support back to the operating system, there are two unofficial ways to do so. Before you start to install one of the alternatives, I’d like to point out that you should scan the solutions with up to date antivirus software and create a backup of your system before you do so to avoid any issues. At least one solution adds the Windows 8 Release Preview gadgets system to the final version of Windows 8.

Screenshot of Gadgets working on Win8 RTM:

Screen8GP.jpg

8GadgetPack is brand new, has been released a few days ago. It ships with an installer that is compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8 as long as the interface language is Chinese, English, French, German or Japanese. The installer will re-add the original Microsoft gadget files and settings that have been part of the beta of Windows 8. In addition, it ships with about 20 different popular gadgets that you can install right away on the system without having to go gadget hunting on the web first.

100% SAFE TO USE ON WINDOWS 8!!!

Download & FAQ available @ http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/

This shit REALLY works and brings desktop gadgets feature back to Windows 8! I have just put it on my laptop here and it even worked with my TWC (The Weather Channel) Desktop Gadget that I used to use with Windows 7 without a hitch... LOVELY!!!

@ the forum mods: if everyone finds this post useful, feel free to add it as a sticky so it always shows at the top of the list ;)

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RadioActive

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't appear to bring back the functionality of the Windows 7 gadgets but more like the Windows Vista sidebar. While both ran the Windows gadgets, the sidebar limited the location you can place your gadgets and worse it permanently took a chunk off the desktop for itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't appear to bring back the functionality of the Windows 7 gadgets but more like the Windows Vista sidebar. While both ran the Windows gadgets, the sidebar limited the location you can place your gadgets and worse it permanently took a chunk off the desktop for itself.

You can make it look like Vista's Sidebar OR Windows 7's gadgets... your choice of how the interface of the program operates and looks... it gives this as a very helpful tip when you install this and run Gadgets for the first time :)

Right from the time when I started using Vista, I had this habit of disabling gadgets as they make the desktop lose symmetry.

With Windows 8, Microsoft discontinued the gadgets, citing security reasons and Yamicsoft Windows 8 Manager shows a proviso for gadgets disabling in the Security section. :think:

jskfir.jpg

@dcs18: I decided to post this topic incase there are some users who loved using Gadgets in Windows 7 but are missing out on their beloved gadgets feature in Windows 8.... this topic is for those folks ;)

The security reason you are thinking of is "Remote Code Execution (RCE)" which I don't know how to tell if it happened or not on a system.

The security reason you are thinking of is "Remote Code Execution (RCE)" which I don't know how to tell if it happened or not on a system.

Microsoft Security Advisory (2719662) Vulnerabilities in Gadgets Could Allow Remote Code Execution

Yeah I read this one awhile back... like back in November of last year or something.... not sure how to tell how a RCE happened on a computer tho.

Archived