Should I switch to Office 2013?

insanedown58

insanedown58

I'm currently using Office 2010 and it does its job real well. Although, I could use the PDF editing feature in Office 2013. So for those who have actually used Office 2013, should I do it or should I stay with Office 2010?

• Replies 21
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still using office 2010 and won't bother installing 2013. For editing pdf, foxit software is always my favorite :)

if you're using win7 or above, go with 2013, if not then stay with 2010 :)

why 2013? as dcs18 said :P

for pdf editing, Acrobat still the best :yes:

and yeah, smooth scrolling feels really nice on 2013

One important point that's applicable to both (Microsoft 2013) + (Microsoft 2010) = permitting 3rd party add-ons to get installed is what buggers up the overall speed. :(

• Administrator

I personally haven't seen a single proper review about it, from our forum members.

The questions I have before upgrading (on the verge of it):

1. Is it faster?
  2. Does it support saving and opening .doc and older formats?
  3. Does it have any themes whatsoever?
  4. Can it be made to look like the blue theme of 2007 or 2010?
  5. Does it overdo the cloud thingy they are speaking of?

If the above questions confirm that it supports what I want, I don't think there should be any doubts whatsoever. :)

I personally also like keeping LibreOffice as an second opinion Office Suite.

I personally haven't seen a single proper review about it, from our forum members.

The questions I have before upgrading (on the verge of it):

Firstly, I do not believe in attempting to convince others on switching loyalties WRT any software (including Windows 8.)

It's different strokes for different people - everybody is limited (by themselves - others are able to rise above themselves.).

• Is it faster?

. . . . . . . already mentioned above.

• Does it support saving and opening .doc and older formats?

It supports saving in .doc and newer formats (there is no older format than .doc) - there has never been any deviation (this has been the tradition of all Office resources.) It opens any Office document - however, other Office alternatives are not able to offer full compatibility with the latest ppsx, xlsx, docx, etc., etc. documents created using Office 2013 (a definite advantage with a mine-is-bigger-than-yours bragging rights.)

• Does it have any themes whatsoever?

Yes.

• Can it be made to look like the blue theme of 2007 or 2010?

Yes and no.

No, because even after it's made to look like Office 2007 - the Modern UI of Office 2013 is able to deceive the human brain (this is extremely difficult for those who have never skinned to understand - if someone insists, I might demonstrate this point, too.)

The above-mentioned annoyance will also get surmounted (eventually nothing is insurmountable - for determined individuals who have a fire burning, not in their hearts but one feet below it.)

• Does it overdo the cloud thingy they are speaking of?

Yes, the most important resource - Manpower, is what ultimately prevails . . . . . . . even on Windows 8 (this is one important facet that got buried in the tutorials that I destroyed.)

Personally, were I to be hired to review Office 2013 and if The Perfectionist were to be the Contractor - I'd get kicked in the scrotum for 4 of the above 5 points used as a variable for the review (except for the valid 5th point - on the cloud.)

A more relevant brief was posted by me, very casually - nowhere close to a review, though (ouch . . . . . my groin.)

Edit:

Finally, those who can't digest what I wrote above may feel welcome to seek assistance from the Conspiracy Theorist . . . . . . . . Ambrocious - he is waiting by to take all your calls - pimp him!!!

• Administrator

Thanks. I did remember someone wrote something about it. So it was you. :)

I'm going to switch to it anyway. However, getting answer for queries is what makes things comfortable.

Just to clear myself completely:

Does the themes come build-in without extra modifications required?

Does the themes come build-in without extra modifications required?

Yes, the themes are inbuilt - however, they are just the usual color schemes.

Does Office needs out of default modding?

Sorry, I didn't get this one - please explain.

• Administrator

Nevermind the second question. Edited and removed that part.

Thanks for info. I guess that's all I need. :)

Ah OK, in case you decide to upgrade and want to take her out for a test drive - I'd suggest using the Custom install (in the very beginning of the installation process,) and then going through the different tabs to un-select the numerous modules that get installed. For instance, Word, Excel PowerPoint, Access, Infopath, Visio, Tools, Add-ons and what-nots.

Maybe (this is just a suggestion) if I work exclusively on word - I'd rather deselect others and test drive just Word - easier for one to make up the mind whether to continue or discontinue with Office 2013.

Reason for the above is the installation DVD can be reused on a live installation at a later stage to add or subtract preference of modules.

Finally a repeat - I'd try to refrain from the temptation to install 3rd party add-ons/plugins (for example novaPDF Professional Desktop.) :)

• Administrator

Thanks. I think that path would be correct - trying Word first. Can Office 2010 and 2013 co-exist on a system (while I try Word only)?

Never use any plugins/addons for Office. :)

Thanks. I think that path would be correct - trying Word first. Can Office 2010 and 2013 co-exist on a system (while I try Word only)?

Never use any plugins/addons for Office. :)

Nope, they're same in almost every way (better un-install the existing installation.) Thereafter, if you like Office 2013 - the installation can be re-used as many times as you like.

If you don't like Office 2013 - just be rid of the damn thing.

• Administrator

OK. Will do. :)

OK. Will do. :)

I've been using Office 2013 since it was in beta. I thoroughly enjoy 2013 over 2010. A couple reasons...

• Using excel, it now has a "smart feature" that if you highlight a group of numbers, it will guess what you want to do with them and give you results. (ie. It will show you a graph of the numbers, autosum the numbers without having to click the button.
  • Excel, now has a feature that it will auto-fill parameters for you if it detects a pattern.
  • Word documents can be saved directly to skydrive with out having to go through extra steps.
  • Outlook is still very intuitive of your needs and it seems that was the program they least modified.

I haven't used the other options, but I still have them installed just in case I do need them in the future

Archived