What else can be done with a Win 8 Pro Upgrade DVD apart from upgrading?

Jota.Ce

Hi, guys!

My friend bought a phone with Win7, and got a key to ask for a Win8 Pro DVD (Spanish only?) in Microsoft Store for free (valued at 280€, but nobody *ever* will buy it there).

Win8 Pro DVD has ended to be a Win8 UPGRADE DVD wich contains both 32 and 64-bit editions. It is suposed to be installed over a previous XP SP3, Vista or 7 installation.

I haven't unsealed it, since i don't exactly know what else can i do with it and i don't know if it's better to sell it. Several questions come to me:

1. Can't you really make a clean install (i mean on a formatted HDD)?
  2. Can't you boot from that DVD or do you have to run installation from another Windows? In that case... could you run installer from Mini Windows XP, from Hiren's BootCD?
  3. Could i install a WinXP Lite before Win8, and then get a clean install (with a format, i don't want to retain *anything*)?
  4. I supose there's a license key inside the sealed package. Can that key be used with a regular non-upgrade Win8 Pro DVD? In that case... is there a free way to obtain an ISO of that DVD, just like heidoc.net or something similar?
  5. What's the real price for this thing, cause if it takes too much trouble i won't want to open the seal, it would be easier to get rid of it.

Many, many thanks in advance ;)

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

Is there an easy way to get a Win8 Pro regular ISO from MSDN? I mean, a regular, non-upgrade version.

Thanks a lot!

So if i download Win8 x64 (Core Edition) [es_windows_8_x64_dvd_915404.iso] from here, will i get a Win8 x64 Pro fully registered with my upgrade key?

Kind regards and sorry if i'm a newbie in Win8.

@Jota.Ce,

Download the PRO version and simply enter upgrade key when asked.

( just in case you get an error 0x8007007B, saying your product key can only be used for upgrading.
Press the Windows key and type regedit. Press enter to open the Registry Editor.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ and double-click on the MediabootInstall key in the right pane.
Change the key's value from 1 to 0.
Exit the Registry Editor, press the Windows key again, and type cmd. Right-click on the Command Prompt icon and run it as an administrator.
Type slmgr /rearm and press Enter. Reboot Windows.)

@Jota.Ce,

Download the PRO version and simply enter upgrade key when asked.

( just in case you get an error 0x8007007B, saying your product key can only be used for upgrading.

Press the Windows key and type regedit. Press enter to open the Registry Editor.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ and double-click on the MediabootInstall key in the right pane.

Change the key's value from 1 to 0.

Exit the Registry Editor, press the Windows key again, and type cmd. Right-click on the Command Prompt icon and run it as an administrator.

Type slmgr /rearm and press Enter. Reboot Windows.)

I already knew that registry trick, as exposed in the first of the links you provided. But i thought it was only needed with my updrade DVD, not with a regular version. Thanks for this anyway, they were very useful.

But i didn't find Win8 Pro x64 Spanish ISO in that thread, as most of the published ISOs are in English. Also, i don't know why my DVD is x23/x64 and ISOs provided by M$ are separated versions.

For admins: I want to clarify i'm *not* asking for anything, i'll try to search myself.

Archived