Browser Multi-Threading

the_harpy

Can any one confirm if Firefox is a Multi-Threading enabled browser like Google Chrome.

Does it have Multi-Core support as well.

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Can any one confirm if Firefox is a Multi-Threading enabled browser like Google Chrome.

Thanks.

Nope. Firefox isn't multi-thread or multi-core enabled.

And from what I know, it's same with Chrome. But, from my guess, as Chrome uses multiple processes, it might be using more than one core overall (but still one core max per tab).

Thanks.

Nope. Firefox isn't multi-thread or multi-core enabled.

And from what I know, it's same with Chrome. But, from my guess, as Chrome uses multiple processes, it might be using more than one core overall (but still one core max per tab).

Oh, that's the matter. I have seen chromium running 3 processes. I was thinking, it went mad :tehe:

• Administrator

Oh, that's the matter. I have seen chromium running 3 processes. I was thinking, it went mad :tehe:

I believe IE was the first one to introduce multi-process. I've seen that the performance improvement defers from system to system. Firefox too was considering following that path, but probably scrapped or halted the project.

I believe IE was the first one to introduce multi-process. I've seen that the performance improvement defers from system to system. Firefox too was considering following that path, but probably scrapped or halted the project.

Chromium is still following the path. May be, they are expecting to make an evolution on multi-threaded browser.

In future, if you decide to upgrade your architecture to x64-bit and if you'll not be using RoboForm - try the stable Cyberfox (concurrently with your present browser.)

Personally, I prefer the nightly - can't advocate an alpha, though. ;)

Archived