MediaFire's new Android app comes with 50 GB of free storage

nsane.forums

MediaFire, a cloud storage service that's less stingy with free space than some of its competitors, is now available for Android.

Just like its desktop counterpart and iOS apps, MediaFire for Android comes with 50 GB of free storage. It lets you upload files using the built-in file browser or using a gallery view for photos and videos. Users can send files to other apps, view certain types of files directly within the app, and get links to their files for sharing with other users. There's also a built-in camera for taking photos and videos and uploading them directly.

Beware of limitations

Keep in mind, though, that MediaFire does have some limitations that other storage services don't. For free accounts, there's a 200 MB limit on file sizes, and the service is ad-supported. (A “Personal” plan with 1 GB size limits, plus several other benefits and no ads costs $1.50 per month.)

F6VYH.jpg

Also, unlike Dropbox and SugarSync, MediaFire doesn't have a way to automatically upload new photos from your phone's camera. The app doesn't offer a way to upload multiple files at once, either, so sending all the photos on your phone to the cloud can be tedious. The best way would be to transfer them to a PC, then upload them all at once using MediaFire's desktop website.

PqmBg.jpg

Users will also need to be mindful of MediaFire's content retention policy. If you're an “inactive” user, which means that you haven't logged in to the service or had anyone view or download a file for some time, MediaFire may threaten to remove your files. According to the company's policy, most users get a 300- to 700-day grace period for inactivity, and users will get two notification e-mails over a five-day period when this is about to happen. It shouldn't be a problem if you're using the app once in a while, but it's not ideal for stashing files away and forgetting about them.

Although it's not the most full-featured cloud storage app, that 50 GB storage limit offered by MediaFire is pretty generous compared with other services such as Dropbox and Google Drive. MediaFire's Android app could be useful if you want to have a lot of photos or videos handy, but don't want those files to hog all the storage space on your phone.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would strongly advise anybody from using MediaFire.

There staff systematically browse peoples files and also have automated systems to search for filenames. You are not even allowed to upload rar/zip if its passworded as this stops them from looking inside.

I had an account with them that I was using purely for backup/storage purposes where I would upload software/tv eps. Yes they was copyrighted however I never shared a single link on any single website or any single person so the only person who ever used/downloaded my links was me yet they still banned my account. Yes i know the reason why it was banned (because it was copyrighted content) but that point I'm making is that there was absolutely no way that I was reported by somebody so the only way this happened is if MF was actively monitoring/looking at peoples private files which in my opinion is unacceptable.

Its a shame because they have a great file manager system unlike 99.9% of other cyberlockers and I have about 5-10TB of data on premium account so its a bitch to lose account and faith in this service.

Fortunately new Mega will launch in couple of days with encrypted storage so I'm hoping they have improved the web file manager so you can move folders about and have a folder hierarchy etc like on MF as the previous megaupload manager was crap. If it does come with a decent file manager and reasonable premium accounts I can see many many users switching to it or back to it once its up and running.

• Administrator

There staff systematically browse peoples files and also have automated systems to search for filenames. You are not even allowed to upload rar/zip if its passworded as this stops them from looking inside.

I had an account with them that I was using purely for backup/storage purposes where I would upload software/tv eps. Yes they was copyrighted however I never shared a single link on any single website or any single person so the only person who ever used/downloaded my links was me yet they still banned my account. Yes i know the reason why it was banned (because it was copyrighted content) but that point I'm making is that there was absolutely no way that I was reported by somebody so the only way this happened is if MF was actively monitoring/looking at peoples private files which in my opinion is unacceptable.

Its a shame because they have a great file manager system unlike 99.9% of other cyberlockers and I have about 5-10TB of data on premium account so its a bitch to lose account and faith in this service.

Fortunately new Mega will launch in couple of days with encrypted storage so I'm hoping they have improved the web file manager so you can move folders about and have a folder hierarchy etc like on MF as the previous megaupload manager was crap. If it does come with a decent file manager and reasonable premium accounts I can see many many users switching to it or back to it once its up and running.

Actually, just as you know, Mediafire staff doesn't browse or check people's files personally, however, there's an expert level hash check that goes on when one starts uploading the file. For example, a person doesn't even need to upload a file if it already exists on their servers, it first hash checks the file, and if it exists with them, it just shows as uploaded fine. Now, that file's hash might have been reported before, hence, MF doesn't let the users know, but that file becomes unavailable to anyone other than the uploader. The uploader thinks he is sharing the file, but in real, it's blacklisted from sharing. However, unfortunately, MF has been also banning accounts for that. I haven't uploaded anything illegal in recent past, however, I do have a lot of illegal files intact. :P

Actually, just as you know, Mediafire staff doesn't browse or check people's files personally, however, there's an expert level hash check that goes on when one starts uploading the file. For example, a person doesn't even need to upload a file if it already exists on their servers, it first hash checks the file, and if it exists with them, it just shows as uploaded fine. Now, that file's hash might have been reported before, hence, MF doesn't let the users know, but that file becomes unavailable to anyone other than the uploader. The uploader thinks he is sharing the file, but in real, it's blacklisted from sharing. However, unfortunately, MF has been also banning accounts for that. I haven't uploaded anything illegal in recent past, however, I do have a lot of illegal files intact. :P

Yes I know this, Its the same tech that megaupload used prior to it going down. However either way MF is not a good idea because of privacy issues. The new Mega will be awesome looking at features like encryption, their new API for third party devs aswell as ability to map our account to local drives. Also judging from the below image of the file manager it looks like they have made some nice improvements.

GNVt1.jpg

I've been using MediaFire for more than 3 years now. I've backed up my music collection in their default format, and nothing happened so far :) I really like MF and I'm tempted to increase my storage capacity if needed. I still have around 20 GB of my 50 GB left.

Archived