Gmail alternatives

RadioActive

Recently I've decided to dump my Gmail accounts. I use VPN often and my mail checker access my accounts through VPN Gmail flags it as "suspicious activity" which resulted in all my accounts being locked and forcing me to set new password, which is not acceptable. I'm not a mindless zombie, I'm perfectly capable of deciding what is and is not required in terms of securing my own accounts.

Anyways, I've since started looking for alternative services. My criteria is simple, that it must offer both POP3 and IMAP for free.

But after spending countless hours searching, I only found 3 viable services that match that criteria.

So, I thought I'd share what I found so far in case someone find himself in my shoes or can help by offering other alternatives.

1) Zoho (India?)

* Pros

- Business oriented.

- Simple, clean interface.

- No-ads.

- Offers both folders and labels systems.

* Cons

- When settings my Gmail as a secondary account, all mails from that account come into a separate inbox, which makes them impossible to collect through POP3, rendering it useless.

2) GMX (Germany)

* Pros

- Very nice interface.

- Mail aliases.

* Cons

- No labels, only folders

- Mail importer offers too few options.

3) Yandex (Russia)

* Pros

- Familier options and interface for Gmail users.

- Offers the labels system.

* Cons

- I only encountered one problem, is when I download the emails from my client, it takes quite some time for the mails to get removed/archived from the server.

Feel free to suggest any other alternatives you may know of, BUT for the purposes of this thread, those services MUST offer free POP3 and IMAP.

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'n not sure if it would help in this case, but have you tried enabling 2 factor authentication? Maybe with this added security feature it may not lock your account/s as you have another layer as such of protection and wouldnt trigger the lockouts. May be worth a go. You can generate your codes then using the official android app or if using a pc a java app called J Auth.

Israeli_Eagle

Yuk... Simply use a real email, domain and mailer. But no webmail shit!

Also a real VPN account (L2TP), but without any software! Then you also have no problems about IPs.

And NO! Nobody needs faker email addresses, too much spam already in this world!!! :pos:

I'n not sure if it would help in this case, but have you tried enabling 2 factor authentication? Maybe with this added security feature it may not lock your account/s as you have another layer as such of protection and wouldnt trigger the lockouts. May be worth a go. You can generate your codes then using the official android app or if using a pc a java app called J Auth.

I've already dumped Gmail for good and I don't intend to try anything really. Their security measures are IMO flawed and there's no way to alter how they work or reduce the security level.

Thanks nonetheless for your suggestion.

Yuk... Simply use a REAL email, domain and mailer. But NO webmail shit!

Also a REAL VPN account (L2TP), but without any software! Then you also have no problems about IPs.

And NO! Nobody needs faker email addresses, too much spam already in this world!!!

This topic is to discuss alternatives to Gmail that meet the criteria I mentioned, and your reply is no way related to the said topic or even remotely helpful!

Other alternative it's Outlook or OperaMail

Outlook doesn't support IMAP. It uses EAS I think. Also, I believe they use the antiquated folders system (as opposed to labels).

OperaMail, I don't know much about it. I will check it out. Thanks.

Your welcome. you've prob used this already to help get that shortlist you've come up with but just in case.

http://email.about.com/od/freeemailreviews/tp/free_pop3_email.htm

Anyway, good luck with the search and hope you find a suitable alternative.

Indeed. I've come across that list already but I appreciate your effort. Thanks.

Archived