What software can remove an audio stream from an mp4 file?

LeetPirate

Hey guys, I'd like to hear about any software you guys use to strip unwanted audio streams from mp4 or m4v files. The problem is sometimes I have files with multiple audio tracks and I only need one. I want to just delete unwanted audio streams and repack the streams I want into the mp4 container without doing any encoding. I came across this app called MP4Box which looks like it can get the job done but I wanted to your opinions about MP4Box or any alternatives you may know about.

• Replies 7
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFMPEG maybe?

First run

ffmpeg -i file.mp4

to see which streams exists in your file. You should see something like this:

Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 720x304 [PAR 1:1 DAR 45:19], 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn, 23.98 tbc

Stream #0.1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 384 kb/s

Stream #0.2: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 384 kb/s

Then run

ffmpeg -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -acodec copy -vcodec copy -i file.mp4 new_file.mp4

to copy video stream and 2nd audio stream to

new_file.mp4

@Source

See if this helps --- tsmuxer , http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR

Simply drop in the mp4 file and hit on demux .

What it will does is , it will break down the media file into individual Audio and Video files .

Simply get the Audio file you want and convert it into any format you desire .

tsmuxer is great for encoding any file into Blu ray format ( m2ts , mts ) so that it is easily played on the Blu ray players .

Helps me in this , when i found this side function of demuxing , where i use it to get mp3 of some rare songs via videos downloaded from Youtube .

You'll be doing great using MP4Box :) , if you don't like it,try tsmuxer,both of them are easy to understand/use :showoff:

Thanks for the information guys

Thank you for the many informative replies. I am a long time visitor of videohelp.com, since the days of tweaking Hanks encoder to build dvd until ConvertXtoDVD came and saved me tons of time. :D

I looked at txmuxer which is a solid app I have used to create AVCHD discs in the past. I will sift through the list of Video De/Multiplexers but I think I am comfortable with the 3 suggestions here, ofcourse I prefer gui so I will try Mp4Box GUI and tsmuxer and if the results are not satisfactory then cmd line ffmpeg is last resort.

Archived