UHARC

nithinshajan

nithinshajan

Hello friends,

Could you please tell me how to compressed games to such an unbelievable ratio using UHARC as seen on downloaded games. I tried to compress a game which was ~1.2GB but it was just compressed to only ~700mb. (mode=best, 32mb dict). But i could compress another game which was 125mb to 35mb. Please answer me if you know how its done properly as seen in some downloaded games.

cheers

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome and this will be your next home :)

about your question, I think it depends on what file will be compress. well, I just knew that 7z with LZMA2 is the best compression out there.

Not a member introduction , hence moved to the right section .

If you mean scene files, that is in most cases a mix with many different compression methods, re-encoding, sometimes ripping.

For the KGB archiver, most files were fakes (you can make a text file that only contains zeroes, save it and then compress the 1TB file to 1MB or similar). Not only that decompressing those magic archives will take ages, the unpacked files were simply useless after decompressing them, then it's faster to download the uncompressed game already.

If it would compress that good, everyone would use it (or rebuild the technique for an own custom compressor with additional features) instead of using 3 or 4 different techniques to compress one game. :)

Also most games already have compressed textures, audio, executables, dll files. It's like an mp3 file, there is not much room for a better compression then.

If you mean scene files, that is in most cases a mix with many different compression methods, re-encoding, sometimes ripping.

For the KGB archiver, most files were fakes (you can make a text file that only contains zeroes, save it and then compress the 1TB file to 1MB or similar). Not only that decompressing those magic archives will take ages, the unpacked files were simply useless after decompressing them, then it's faster to download the uncompressed game already.

If it would compress that good, everyone would use it (or rebuild the technique for an own custom compressor with additional features) instead of using 3 or 4 different techniques to compress one game. :)

Also most games already have compressed textures, audio, executables, dll files. It's like an mp3 file, there is not much room for a better compression then.

Gotta agree with that... It's been a long time since I've used UHARC... Myth, CLASS... most of used to be the best "ripper" in scene groups used that... Now, it's feels too painstaking slow, either when compressing and decompressing compares to others strong competitors like WinRAR or 7zip... You should avoid using UHARC in these days...

Regarding the technique of how scene groups can make the smallest rip that ever made... they rip everything that unnecessary, reduce the video, sound quality, and most of the times, recoded and injected small loop sound into game files... everything but the game still can be playable... it's an subtle art, and giving benefits for those with limited bandwidth and internet speed... gotta love their works back then...

You could try UPX v3.08:

Homepage

UPX v3.08 w/GUI Front Ends:

Site: http://www.datafilehost.comCode: /download-748c2a14.htmlUncheck 'Use our download manager'

UPX is different packing method, only usable to compress PE files...

They say that kgb zipper is the best in this!?

http://www.maherhackers.com/kgb-archiver-compress-1gb-file-10mb-easily/

check this

Says who? It's in beta, hasn't had an update since 2007 and in the few tests I ran, gives worse compression than 7Zip and talk about sloooooooooooooow....

Thanks for the info anyhow!

:sleep:

Edit: Uharc however remains impressive, if you can find v0.6b from 2005 (!!!) and get to grips with its options from the command line.

:showoff:

Archived