Upgrade to W8 with W7 activated with Daz Loader

psyko666

Got the promo codes. And i've some queries.

• If i want to change HDD later in my laptop/desktop activated with the genuine Win 8 keys, what i have to do?

• If i want to change my monitor of my desktop later, will it affect the Windows 8 genuineness?

• What all the changes/removal of components in PC/laptop which will affect the Windows 8 genuineness/activation?

1. You'll have to re-install windows with the Win 8 key. That requires that you'll need an ISO (either one generated from the upgrade assistant that contains all your program/files or a retail copy of a Win 8 DVD which will be a CLEAN install). It's best to reinstall Win. 7 with apps/files on the new HDD and then upgrade.

2. The monitor definitely won't affect Windows, however.... if you change your motherboard/cpu, then Microsoft usually constitutes that as a new computer.

ZDnet (http://www.zdnet.com...you-7000003028/)

After I upgrade, can I use my old Windows version on a separate partition or on another PC? Can I give it away or sell it?

No. The upgrade replaces the old license completely. The terms are written in very clear language:

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way.

You can run Windows 8 Pro on a PC with two physical processors; Windows 8 is limited to a single CPU (although the number of cores is unlimited).

3. See answer 2.

• Replies 52
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• If i want to change HDD later in my laptop/desktop activated with the genuine Win 8 keys, what i have to do?

• If i want to change my monitor of my desktop later, will it affect the Windows 8 genuineness?

• What all the changes/removal of components in PC/laptop which will affect the Windows 8 genuineness/activation?

The monitor definitely won't affect Windows, however.... if you change your motherboard/cpu, then Microsoft usually constitutes that as a new computer.

That. The license is tied to the Mobo. Changing that will necessitate a new key. Sometimes though, the support stuff will give you a new key (over the phone) if you can convince them that you're changing a dead mobo or something. Dunno if they'll still do that with Win8, but they used to with Win7, Vista etc. :)

P.S. - CPU upgrades don't require a new board afaik ;)

P.S. - CPU upgrades don't require a new board afaik ;)

If the CPU requires a different socket (775, 1155, 1156, 2011, 1366, AM2/3, etc.) then yes, it requires a new mobo. But, I'm not sure if a CPU upgrade constitutes a new key (if that's what you meant to say). Either way, depending on how old the CPU and whether or not it's even supported anymore, usually most system builders will update both at the same time.

In my 10+ years of system building, I've never had to upgrade a CPU during the lifetime of the socket. More often than not, Intel/AMD didn't release CPUs that achieved substantial gains over a short term period (1-2 years). Plus, it can be expensive as hell if you did upgrade every time!

MS http://windows.micro...asked-questions

Will I ever need to activate Windows on my computer again?

Maybe. You might have to activate Windows again if:

• You make a significant hardware change to your computer, such as upgrading the hard disk and memory at the same time. If a major hardware change requires activating Windows again, you'll be notified and will have three days to activate Windows.
  • You reinstall Windows. In this case, you’ll have 30 days to activate Windows again.

From my experience, you should be able to upgrade these components safely without MS requiring a new key:

- Graphics Cards

- RAM

- HDDs

- CD/DVD/Floppy Drives

- Power Supply

- Sound Cards

- Monitors

- Keyboards/Mice

- Other external devices

If the CPU requires a different socket (775, 1155, 1156, 2011, 1366, AM2/3, etc.) then yes, it requires a new mobo. But, I'm not sure if a CPU upgrade constitutes a new key (if that's what you meant to say). Either way, depending on how old the CPU and whether or not it's even supported anymore, usually most system builders will update both at the same time.

In my 10+ years of system building, I've never had to upgrade a CPU during the lifetime of the socket. More often than not, Intel/AMD didn't release CPUs that achieved substantial gains over a short term period (1-2 years). Plus, it can be expensive as hell if you did upgrade every time!

LOL! That's a whole system upgrade, not a CPU upgrade. Of course, you can upgrade from a Athlon II/Phenom II on an AM3+ board to an FX 83xx/6300/4300 or an Athlon XP to the next gen with a BIOS upgrade on most boards. Or for that matter from a PDC/C2D to a C2Q, i3 to an i5/i7(same gen) etc. That's what I was referring to :)

What do you think guys, how safe is to buy W8 this way? When purchasing, we are giving personal info, like name, address, city.

Cheers ;)

What do you think guys, how safe is to buy W8 this way? When purchasing, we are giving personal info, like name, address, city.

Cheers ;)

Everyone who buys windows(XP, Vista, 7, 8 )gives personal info. And everyone is tracked by some means. So if anyone seeking more privacy, For address and city, we can fake it(only if using other's/friend's/relation's CC for buying) bcoz for MS, its just billing address and not the one who activates the key. And phone number can be changed just by giving a number(use and throw). just apply for closure of your bank ac after 2-3 days or a week of paying. Or you can create a new bank ac only for this purpose and apply for closure of your ac once the transaction is completely over.

Well, I was planing to use PayPal. And those who bought previous version has nothing to worry about, since all is legal. And we use W7 with loader to buy upgrade. And creating bank accounts just for upgrade seems to much.

Cheers ;)

Well, I was planing to use PayPal. And those who bought previous version has nothing to worry about, since all is legal. And we use W7 with loader to buy upgrade. And creating bank accounts just for upgrade seems to much.

Cheers ;)

Use Paypal. It's fast and easy. But yeah, not matter which path you take, you're going to have to give up your name and address. Since it's legit, you shouldn't have any problem.

BTW, I saw your post in the Software News about looking for a promo code. I went ahead and filled out a form, but have yet to receive the confirmation code. I'll keep trying if you're still in need of a key.

Yeah, I still need it. Well, thing that worries me is the trick we use to get promo isn't really legit since I didn't buy W7. Did you get it yourself and do you have valid W7 licence?

Cheers ;)

Are you doing the Daz Loader upgrade? Then why worry about saving a few quid when you'r already dodgy?

Some questions for Daz users

Is the loader still working with upgrades? and fresh install from disk or just upgrade? Then what you do with Daz Loader? I guess it's still on pc so do you delete it?

I don't know, it would be nice to have a legit thing at least in some way. And when we speak of dodgy, there isn't anything like DAZ for W8 yet.

Cheers ;)

Are you doing the Daz Loader upgrade? Then why worry about saving a few quid when you'r already dodgy?

Some questions for Daz users

Is the loader still working with upgrades? and fresh install from disk or just upgrade? Then what you do with Daz Loader? I guess it's still on pc so do you delete it?

As mentioned previously, the Win 8 key replaces the Win 7 key, making the DAZ loader ineffective. Which is fine, since the Win 8 key is legit. Therefore, you shouldn't (I don't) have problems updating/passing genuine. Whether you fresh install or upgrade from within Windows 7, the key will still be replaced.

Yeah, I still need it. Well, thing that worries me is the trick we use to get promo isn't really legit since I didn't bought W7. Did you get it yourself and do you have valid W7 licence?

Cheers ;)

I don't know, it would be nice to have a legit thing at least in some way. And when we speak of dodgy, there isn't anything like DAZ for W8 yet.

Cheers ;)

See above.

I tried the upgrade discount and it asked for my W7 Key every time. I entered the key from the loader but...

Status of your Registration: Unable to validate

We are sorry.

Unfortunately, based on the information you provided during the registration process you are not eligible for the upgrade offer.

Please refer to the program requirements.

:rolleyes:

I tried the upgrade discount and it asked for my W7 Key every time. I entered the key from the loader but...

Status of your Registration: Unable to validate

We are sorry.

Unfortunately, based on the information you provided during the registration process you are not eligible for the upgrade offer.

Please refer to the program requirements.

:rolleyes:

Is this during the upgrade process or during the registration form?

Filling out the form for a discount. Purchased between June 2nd etc. Tried different dates and pc models but always asks for W7 Key.

Filling out the form for a discount. Purchased between June 2nd etc. Tried different dates and pc models but always asks for W7 Key.

Edit: All countries now require serial.

Looks like MS just instated the key check across the board. Tried again using a U.S. VPN and it asks for serial. OH WELL.

Does the windows 8 upgrade accept indian Credit cards(ICICI Bank) for payment? It says we couldn't process your order. Is there any specific time duration for buying?

Cheers ;)

Should be. Apparently only involves the changing of a reg entry ;) Shouldn't be a big deal imo :)

Not only is it absolutely possible with the $39.99 offer, it's actually also possible with the $14.99 offer! :o :dance:

As for your case, ($39.99 upgrade download/media/iso) :-

1. Clean Install Win8.

2. Change the following Reg Key to 0 from 1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE]

"MediaBootInstall"=dword:00000000

3. If you've already tried to activate, do the following, else skip this step

a. Open elevated command prompt (Right click -> Run As Administrator)

b. Type slmgr -rearm <enter>

c. Reboot

4. Now use the upgrade key. It should work like a charm :D

@Calguyhunk

The problem is that we cant buy the upgrade without using a original key first.

Available widely on store shelves ;)

Windows 8 Pro (upgrade) @ Amazon

And @ Newegg

In a few days, prolly will be available in France as well.

@ asphyxiated - You're in the States, right? You already have access, it seems :yes:

I don't know what all the reg stuff is for Calguy, all i'm talking about is getting a discount for recent W7 buyers, £25 down to £15 in UK.

Does the windows 8 upgrade accept indian Credit cards(ICICI Bank) for payment? It says we couldn't process your order. Is there any specific time duration for buying?

I tried now too but in vain. Which indian banks' CC are accepted in Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. If anyone bought the offer using indian based banks' cc, please inform.

I don't know what all the reg stuff is for Calguy, all i'm talking about is getting a discount for recent W7 buyers, £25 down to £15 in UK.

You're talking about getting a discounted 'Update license' to work without a valid 'recent' Win7 license. Right or wrong?

Archived