start8 release a new beta which is no more free

House_maniac

anyone noticed that start8 is no more freeware? so what are you alternatives now?i'm thinking about giving classic shell a try again!

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

There goes my Windows 8 interest. I'll wait till someone releases a proper fix. Which is unlikely, cause as far as I've seen, you don't get Stardock fixes easily.

Yup, $5:

HOW TO GET IT

Start8 Beta is available as a free 30-day trial and can be purchased for only $4.99.

http://forums.stardock.com/432555

There goes my Windows 8 interest. I'll wait till someone releases a proper fix. Which is unlikely, cause as far as I've seen, you don't get Stardock fixes easily.

Yup, $5:

HOW TO GET IT

Start8 Beta is available as a free 30-day trial and can be purchased for only $4.99.

http://forums.stardock.com/432555

yes it kinda sucks classic shell is good and high customizable but its doesn't show up the control panel directly like start8 and also the way they display the software you use is different start8 had more a win7 menu feel :s

$4.99, for me, is worth it for this app as long as they keep updating it.

lets hope someone provides a medecine for start8 that shall be better

• Administrator

$4.99, for me, is worth it for this app as long as they keep updating it.

Why I don't like the money part? Because the chief of StarDock promised in the interview that it's going to be free forever (aiming at final release too).

And of course, I can easily pay $5, if I had any credit card access.

• Administrator

Damn. Just read some articles and it seems $5 price is only for beta. :huh:

Those who pay for beta will get a final for free (I don't trust Stardock's words anymore). But the final might be priced more. :(

Damn. Just read some articles and it seems $5 price is only for beta. :huh:

Those who pay for beta will get a final for free (I don't trust Stardock's words anymore). But the final might be priced more. :(

yes i've unistalled classic shell again and reverted back to previous beta version of start8 i just home someone comes with a medecine then i can upgrade :)

House_maniac

iObit released Start8 as BETA, too (no expiration so far). StartMenu8

yes i'm using this since this morning as the beta of start8 expired :s

• Administrator

iObit released Start8 as BETA, too (no expiration so far). StartMenu8

yes i'm using this since this morning as the beta of start8 expired :s

Guess who stole the source code again. :uhoh:

yes it kinda sucks classic shell is good and high customizable but its doesn't show up the control panel directly like start8 and also the way they display the software you use is different start8 had more a win7 menu feel :s

You can make Classic Shell show the Control Panel directly or add ANY item you want to right column. Go to the Customize Start Menu tab. From there, you can locate and double click a "Custom Command" that links to anything on your file system. To add a folder as expandable menu, add it to the "Link:" field. To add as a non-expandable command, add it to the "Command:" field. Special commonly required folders are pre-defined in the dropdown of the "Link:" field so you just need to select them and click OK to add them.

Archived