Windows 8: What's In It For Desktop/Notebook Users?

Tweety.Abd

Hi,

So I've been using Windows 8 for a while now. I haven't been able to activate, so I am unable to customize the Start and Lock screens. Besides that, I've been exploring other features of the new Windows but I haven't found any feature so far which would be of any use to the Desktop/Notebook users. There's nothing in it that would increase one's productivity, or any significant improvements. I really don't see any reason why a Desktop/Notebook user would switch to Windows 8, given that it has nothing to offer them.

I would like to know what you guys think of Windows 8 and if it has anything to offer to the Desktop/Notebook users.

Thanks! (:

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is like saying you are not going to buy a new car because you was only allowed to test drive a base model for 5 minutes

Let us look at it this way. What "must have" feature do you think Windows 7 sorely misses? Can't think of any? Well then, join the club. Win7 as of 2012-2013 looks, feels and is, as modern an OS as you want/need it to be making W8 kinda' redundant IMO. :yes:

Usability? Check. Stability? Check. Security? Check (By MS standards :P ) Looks? Check. Apps/Eco-system? Check. Drivers? Check. See where I'm going with this? ;)

The only reason to shift to Win8 would be if you want to play 'round with something brand new and see how it goes. The $40 price tag may go a long way in convincing people to 'upgrade' even if it is just for the heck of it. It certainly has a 'new toy' value to it at that price. Whether or not it stands up to the usability criterion on x86 machines - only time will tell :)

i've been using/playing with windows 8 rtm for a week now, not heavily, and still find nothing compelling to make me switch to it

it's got a nice start up speed, but will see if that remains so when i've installed all the usual stuff i use

i'll probably keep a windows 8 machine just to try to help others when required, but my main system will be windows 7 for quite some time to come

that is like saying you are not going to buy a new car because you was only allowed to test drive a base model for 5 minutes

Yeah, it's actually exactly like you described - a spanking brand new car . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . that Microsoft neglected to paint.

I'm half blind and yet found Windows 8 underwhelming within a couple of hours before it was wiped clean off my system - if I had a 20/20 vision, the Windows experience would've lasted me exactly the time you mentioned, 5 full minutes.

Yeah, it's actually exactly like you described - a spanking brand new car . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . that Microsoft neglected to paint.

I'm half blind and yet found Windows 8 underwhelming within a couple of hours before it was wiped clean off my system - if I had a 20/20 vision, the Windows experience would've lasted me exactly the time you mentioned, 5 full minutes.

Exactly, there's nothing appealing in Windows 8 at all. I'd be surprised if it were to satisfy the non-touch screen community. I used it longer than 5 minutes to be honest, I spent 2 days exploring its features, etc. Whatever good was noticeable real quick, like the file transfers, Task Manager (I love the new look), and couple of others, had there been any more good we'd have noticed it by now.

i've been using/playing with windows 8 rtm for a week now, not heavily, and still find nothing compelling to make me switch to it

it's got a nice start up speed, but will see if that remains so when i've installed all the usual stuff i use

i'll probably keep a windows 8 machine just to try to help others when required, but my main system will be windows 7 for quite some time to come

Try installing some software, its more or less the same for me. Start screen starts up pretty fast, but switch to desktop and it's nothing special.

I like the ribbon GUI on the explorer - most wouldn't and I respect that (didn't like that much myself when it debuted on Microsoft Office 2007.)

I'm pretty high on aesthetics - my mantra is if you're test driving an OS and fail to get an erection, just dump it. When I took Windows 8 through it's paces on the formula track, it left me behind with a feeling of being somewhat of a dick teaser (brings back memories of the time you happened to luck it out with a Bimbo who was adequately stacked in the right places including the grey cell area and by the time you got off your pants [and hers] she had to scamper back to her boyfriend - ouchhhhh, Windows 8 you fell short of my needs and did not meet my lust. :huh:

...a Bimbo who was adequately stacked in the right places including the grey cell area...

See, that right there my friend, is not a Bimbo. A Bimbo with grey cells is a bit of an oxymoron :hehe:

...and by the time you got off your pants [and hers] she had to scamper back to her boyfriend - ouchhhhh,...

Umm... hate to break this to you buddy, but maybe - just maybe, she didn't like what she saw :P

i'm starting to think windows 8 is just windows 7 only harder to activate

it's like when developers release a new version of their software with some slight changes and better anti-piracy measures; from the start their main target was killing piracy, not necessarily delivering new software

it's like when developers release a new version of their software with some slight changes and better anti-piracy measures; from the start their main target was killing piracy, not necessarily delivering new software

It will be activated, only a matter of time.

How I wish that was true, then - this topic would never need to have been started. It's nothing but wishful thinking - there's no comparison between Windows 8 and Windows 7.

...and by the time you got off your pants [and hers] she had to scamper back to her boyfriend - ouchhhhh,...

Umm... hate to break this to you buddy, but maybe - just maybe, she didn't like what she saw :P

Et tu, Nostradamus? :P

There is no much difference in windows 8 when compared with windows 7 except few things..

1) metro

2)you can mount iso file directly without power iso

For touch screen users windows 8 metro is good experience according reviews..

But for desktop after few days you will get used to metro ..

Speed , performance is so much improved when you compare it with xp or windows 7

No freezing issues and i am very happy that its good not only that the memory consumption is also less ..

The only problem in windows 8 is may be few people didn't like metro but once you started using it after 5 to 6 days you feel a little bit easy

mattyschannel666

windows 8 has a new way it handles file so defrag is rarely needed and it handles gaming alot better then windows 7 ever did plus a ssd runs 12% faster on windows 8 there is so much new stuff inside i am not done reading it all yet

Archived