No Windows 8 Catalyst Driver For HD 4xxx Series?

Tweety.Abd

Hey!

I just wanted to know if there will be any Catalyst for HD 4xxx series running on WIndows 8?

Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the AMD/ATI Catalyst is being rolled out anymore for HD 4xxx across . . . . . . . . . . . any OS. :think:

I don't think the AMD/ATI Catalyst is being rolled out anymore for HD 4xxx across . . . . . . . . . . . any OS. :think:

That sucks. I'm starting to dislike AMD now, nVidia has Windows 8 drivers for the GeForce 5 series! I really need to get an nVidia card :\

Series 4 cards are now legacy cards. They squeezed everything they could and they're going to release a new version every two to three months, fixing bugs.

Definitely they're going to release Win8 drivers, but on a later date, probably September (12.9). For now they are working on series 5, 6 and 7 cards.

Series 4 cards are now legacy cards. They squeezed everything they could and they're going to release a new version every two to three months, fixing bugs.

Definitely they're going to release Win8 drivers, but on a later date, probably September (12.9). For now they are working on series 5, 6 and 7 cards.

Anyways I'll have to get a new card.

SacredCultivator
^Either that or don't use Windows 8 just yet =P

Indeed, don't use Win8 for now..

Plus, Win8 hasn't been cr@cked, so there's no reason in changing your GPU just for using Win8 drivers.

Even if you change your GPU just for better driver support, you're still going to wait for a "proper" activation method.

Indeed, don't use Win8 for now..

Plus, Win8 hasn't been cr@cked, so there's no reason in changing your GPU just for using Win8 drivers.

Even if you change your GPU just for better driver support, you're still going to wait for a "proper" activation method.

I'd be a fool to change my GPU just because its driver does not support Windows 8. I believe it's been a long since I bought my card (48xx series) and I want to try out an Nvidia card (my last one was GeForce 6 series), I'm looking forward to the new GTX 670/680.

• Administrator

@Tweety: Where you were when I was making all the posts (in AMD driver update threads) specifically explaining things? :)

Anyway, as Stewie :P (JusperX) mentioned, the reason they are considered so as AMD thinks they have squeezed out all the performance. That's the reason they won't get regular updates.

Another point, AMD's "legacy cards" will gets updates, but not as regularly. Also, they won't be there to speed up things, only to fix problems with reported issues and fixing problems with new games.

Last, and probably the most important to you, no, AMD legacy cards will NOT get updates on Windows 8:

Note: The In-the-box AMD graphics driver that is included with Windows® 8 will include support for the AMD Radeon HD 4000, 3000, and 2000 series, and it will support the WDDM 1.1 driver level features. Please also note there will be no support for AMD PowerXpress™ feature on the mobility variants. The AMD Catalyst driver for Windows 8 will only include support for WDDM 1.2 support products (AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later), and will not support the AMD Radeon HD 4000, HD 3000, and HD 2000 series.

http://support.amd.c...cyproducts.aspx

As for nVidia cards, I do not like them. For me, Physx is just nonsence, mostly useless part of the card that games have only when nVidia pays loads of money to particular game maker. What's worse is, nVidia cards are quite hot. AMD is slightly ahead than nVidia in my opinion.

My view:

Hardware:

AMD > nVidia.

Drivers:

nVidia > AMD.

EDIT: Forgot to say, 48xx cards still kicks ass, even in modern day games.

I have an Asus 4850 w/ an Arctic Cooling TwinTurbo cooler in my C2Q box...it can hold it's own and be quiet doing it..

The final 'new' driver is 12.6 btw.

I'm on HD 5450 and the V12.8 is working for me, but - my time is come. Given my budget, it's a toss-up between an high-end graphics card or a Crucial SSD. My personal inclination tilts towards the SSD - my system Dealer, though is ready to buy-back the GPU at the same price he sold it to me and that's quite an irresistible proposition.

This is really fuct! I cannot overclock without Catalyst with MSI Afterburner, I cannot use GPU features in Photoshop, no GPU accelerated transcoding, etc. etc. This is really messed up! Would installing 12.6 with Windows 7 compatibility settings work or would it be pretty much useless? And if what DKT says is right, that there will never be a driver for Windows 8, then I'm done with AMD! :mad2:

• Administrator

Unfortunately, this does not apply to Windows 8. Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 owners will be limited to the AMD graphics driver that ships with Windows 8 and will receive no further updates.

Also with regards to Windows 8 support for the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, 3000, 4000 Series of products; the In-the-box AMD Graphics driver that ships with Windows 8 will include support for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 Series, and it will support the WDDM 1.1 driver level features. The AMD Catalyst driver for Windows 8 will only include support for WDDM 1.2 support products (AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later).

http://www.guru3d.co...driver-support/

You can try different things if you want. Compatibility, using Windows build-in driver but installing CCC without driver, etc.

However, I'll rather switch back to Windows 7 than change my card. Windows 8 is simply not worth the effort.

Also, thank you for bring this into note. I have 4870 that I had got recently (for $35), which I want to use for atleast a year or more. And Afterburner not working without proper driver? That's enough for me to refuse Windows 8. :)

EDIT: Good news. :D

Install AMD 11.12 drivers on Windows 8.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4262266

Unfortunately, this does not apply to Windows 8. Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 owners will be limited to the AMD graphics driver that ships with Windows 8 and will receive no further updates.

Also with regards to Windows 8 support for the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, 3000, 4000 Series of products; the In-the-box AMD Graphics driver that ships with Windows 8 will include support for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 Series, and it will support the WDDM 1.1 driver level features. The AMD Catalyst driver for Windows 8 will only include support for WDDM 1.2 support products (AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later).

http://www.guru3d.co...driver-support/

You can try different things if you want. Compatibility, using Windows build-in driver but installing CCC without driver, etc.

However, I'll rather switch back to Windows 7 than change my card. Windows 8 is simply not worth the effort.

Also, thank you for bring this into note. I have 4870 that I had got recently (for $35), which I want to use for atleast a year or more. And Afterburner not working without proper driver? That's enough for me to refuse Windows 8. :)

EDIT: Good news. :D

Install AMD 11.12 drivers on Windows 8.

http://forums.guru3d...d.php?p=4262266

Whoa! That is great news. Unfortunately I cannot switch back to Windows 7, my parents and younger siblings won't allow the change. They're in love with the new UI and reading news on Metro is really pleasant, etc. etc. They won't listen to my not being able to overclock, etc. There's a problem, where can I get this 11.2 driver :( Can you post any links?

• Administrator

That sucks. No one from my family can tell me what Windows I should install. It's I who decide what's good for everyone. :P

Anyway, here: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Drivers/ATI_Catalyst/old/

With some link tweaking I got the download link from AMD too.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/11-12_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

Your OS is 64-bit right?

That sucks. No one from my family can tell me what Windows I should install. It's I who decide what's good for everyone. :P

Anyway, here: http://www.techpower...I_Catalyst/old/

http://www2.ati.com/..._dd_ccc_ocl.exe

Your OS is 64-bit right?

Lucky you lol :P My parents and siblings will riot if I switch back to Windows 7. Personally, for me it's not that bad, well it is bad but I think I can live with it and besides I'm trying out something new (: But my most favorite thing in Windows 8 has got to be the new Task Manager, I open it at start up and bring it up every now and then lol, its just really informative and clean (:

And yes I'm x64 and thank you so much for the link, I will test it out and see if it works for me too :) Thanks again :)

Anyway, here: http://www.techpower...I_Catalyst/old/

http://www2.ati.com/..._dd_ccc_ocl.exe

Your OS is 64-bit right?

Any driver for Mobility?

Any driver for Mobility?

http://forums.guru3d...d.php?p=4192849

So, did the trick work? :)

I tried out many drivers and all of them have the same problem: you encounter BSOD when trying to overclock using MSI Afterburner. Overclocking is really crucial to me, helps to squeeze out 10+ FPS out of my graphics card. So the driver thing was useless for me. I already switched back to Windows 7 and everything's working fine again. I will consider Windows 8, when AMD releases a graphics driver for Windows 8 or I get a new GPU, whichever happens first (:

I have an Asus 4850 w/ an Arctic Cooling TwinTurbo cooler in my C2Q box...it can hold it's own and be quiet doing it..

Gosh..................heheheehehehehe

• Administrator

@Tweety.Abd: I see. Don't you feel comfortable with Windows 7? :) Cause I feel very uncomfortable using Windows 8.

What card do you have btw? Something like 4850 will blast through games without needing to overclock.

Gosh..................heheheehehehehe

I'm a bit proud of my ol 4850...when I put the Arctic cooler on it, I treated it to aluminum heatsinks for the memory and solid copper sinks for the VRM. Way overkill but I'm betting it'll last. Tempted to pull it out and stick it in X-Fire with my 7770 in my main rig...dunno.

• Administrator

@Maxhedroom: 7770 is not THAT powerful. You should go for something better.

As for 48xx. The only thing that sucks is fan's curve. At 60C, the graphics card thinks it's ok to have the fan at 0%. Just use Afterburner and take over the fan speed control by Afterburner's default fan curve. You'll never need any extra graphics card cooling. :)

@Tweety.Abd: I see. Don't you feel comfortable with Windows 7? :) Cause I feel very uncomfortable using Windows 8.

What card do you have btw? Something like 4850 will blast through games without needing to overclock.

My card is a Ati Radeon HD 6790 (saphire) i never overclock stuff even though i can.

I am more intersted in the water cooling side of things, but still using fans!

I need a good cpu fan as mine is the one from the retail box, intell i5 2500k. might invest in another artic as iv had those before!

Archived