Linux Disk Structure And Why It Doesn’t Need Defragmentation

rajeesh

Is Linux so great that there is no fragmentation of the data? FALSE. Linux is great (that’s true) but even in your wildest dreams, there is no way to completely eradicate a disk fragmentation. I see you coming there: “I never defragmented my Linux system, in fact I never saw a tool for that, and my computer has never shown any problem. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?” Well, you are right. In principle, you do not have to defragment your disk on Linux. Data can be fragmented, but in theory you do not have to worry about it, and here’s why.

Read the full article at source:

Source

• Replies 1
  • Views 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Good info. In other words, de-fragmentation is less. Also, the way the ext4 works, you will get what you get from something like UltimateDefrag. :)

From a long time, Windows users are asking M$ to add new filesystem that does this, but no, M$ makes a new filesystem that probably isn't as efficient as above and is limited to Server as of now. -_-

I'm not a linux fan, well, not more than Windows atleast, but there are those small, important things that I appreciate about it.

Archived