Outlook.com Review: Does It Stack Up to Gmail?

rajeesh

Since Microsoft released its new cloud-based email service Outlook.com, there has been lots of buzz about it. The word on the streets is it’s a winner – superior to Gmail and certainly better than the lacklustre Hotmail. Email is email, right? So what does it offer that makes it stand out among its competitors? Let’s take a look at the features that make Outlook.com the go-to email service.

Outlook.com will eventually replace Hotmail altogether and is available for anyone on any device to download and use for free. It has the look of Windows 8 with your tiles for People, Mail, Calendar, and SkyDrive but you don’t have to be using Windows 8 to use Outlook.com mail services.

Read the full article at source:

Source

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sl@pSh0ck™

Does Outlook.com allow POP3 and IMAP clients like Gmail does?

I have it setup in my MS Outlook email client, you just have to install "MS outlook hotmail connector" COM plugin. I just don't know with any other email clients though.

EDIT: BTW I just renamed my live.com mail to an outlook.com mail, so I'm not sure if it does work with a newly created outlook.com email account.

Sl@pSh0ck™

how did you rename your account?? more info please id like to do the same.

Here you go

• Administrator

So far, problems I experience with Outlook.com:

• Page refreshes after some time. It keeps refreshing every 30 secs or so. It's hard to concentrate.
  • Clicking the delete button (or pressing) when an email is open, leads to the main email view again, instead of opening next one. I miss this feature. :(

Does Outlook.com allow POP3 and IMAP clients like Gmail does?

I have it setup in my MS Outlook email client, you just have to install "MS outlook hotmail connector" COM plugin. I just don't know with any other email clients though.

EDIT: BTW I just renamed my live.com mail to an outlook.com mail, so I'm not sure if it does work with a newly created outlook.com email account.

I just tested it using Thunderbird 14 and it works! But it still uses live.com domain (smpt.live.com & pop3.live.com).

Archived