ck_kent

SmoothVideo Project

SVP allows you to watch any video on your PC file with frame interpolation (like you can watch it on high-end TVs and projectors). It increases frame rate by generating intermediate animation frames between existing ones to produce very smooth, fluid and clear motion. The technology is well-known for a while ("TrimensionDNM", "Motion Plus", "Motionflow" and others), but now it's available for free to PC users with simple GUI and just a couple of mouse clicks.

Posted Image

SVP provides GPU acceleration and it's possible to watch FullHD 1080p-video recalculated to 60Hz in real-time with mid-range CPU and almost any GPU hardware. SVP actually is not a video player itself, but it enables almost any player to play smooth video. Yeah, also in 3D :)

Why you need it

First, it's free, second - if both Peter Jackson and James Cameron don't think the "soap opera effect" is something bad why should you? ;)

"We are indeed shooting at the higher frame rate. The key thing to understand is that this process requires both shooting and projecting at 48 frames/s, rather than the usual 24 frames/s (The great majority of films have been shot at 24 frames per second since the late 1920s). So the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok—and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years—but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or "strobe." Shooting and projecting at 48 frames/s does a lot to get rid of these issues. It looks much more lifelike and it is much easier to watch, especially in 3-D." - Peter Jackson

"3D shows you a window into reality; the higher frame rate takes the glass out of the window" - James Cameron

Also take a look at some examples that explain why you should try it.

Posted Image Download the latest version 3.1.2 (06/04/2012)

Quick start guide:

SmoothVideo Project (SVP) for absolute beginners

• We strongly suggest you completely remove any codec packs (like K-Lite or similar) before installing SVP.

• Download and install the Full package with default options.

• Run "SVP Manager" from the Start menu, the SVP icon should appear in tray area: Posted Image

• Run "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" that was installed together with SVP. Of course you're not limited to MPC-HC and can use almost any video player you'd like, but this one is already configured for SVP.

• Open a video file in MPC-HC, the SVP icon should turn to green and the message "SVP: Smooth playback..." will appear in the player window.
Adjusting the performance

SVP is a very CPU-intensive application and while we're already included the basic settings for most common hardware you may (and will) want to adjust these settings closer to you PC.

To do that, double-click on SVP tray icon and the "Active profile settings" window will appear. The number of available settings depends on Interface type (right-click on icon then open "Interface" sub-menu) and varies from four in "Simple" interface to sixteen in "Expert" one.

FAQ

:view: Source

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tweety.Abd

I used it a couple of months ago, yes it is extremely CPU intensive and I'd say i5 & above (Quad Cores), but like any other motion interpolation app, it provides ghosting effect and renders the video unwatchable.

Hehe, I discovered this software few weeks ago and asked on some places for opinions. This piece of software seems really interesting.

I had troubles to get it working because of lack of CPU power... (little Core 2 Duo + madVR). I tried their video samples but with the 60 fps one I get hundred of dropped frames and some lags...

There are some alternatives like : Splash Player, Avisynth Script or InterFrame. I didn't test all these softwares. Didn't have the time... Anyone ?

I installed SVP on my machine just to see if I can really get a "soap opera" effect that can be found on some HDTVs nowadays. Yes, it gave me that but on most movies with high bitrates I get a lot of dropped frames. I only have an AMD Athlon II X2 machine with HD6570 and my CPU, temp, fan, went through the roof! :lol: Smooth motion, TruMotion, or 60fps, is not really that important to me so I uninstalled it. :D

InterFrame, as their site says, also uses SVP plugins to create interpolated frames from real ones. So I guess the performance is the same. I think they all use this same Avisynth script to interpolate frames.

Tweety.Abd

Hehe, I discovered this software few weeks ago and asked on some places for opinions. This piece of software seems really interesting.

I had troubles to get it working because of lack of CPU power... (little Core 2 Duo + madVR). I tried their video samples but with the 60 fps one I get hundred of dropped frames and some lags...

There are some alternatives like : Splash Player, Avisynth Script or InterFrame. I didn't test all these softwares. Didn't have the time... Anyone ?

I tested them all except the InterFrame, I never heard of it. Either ways none of these work as it should:

- Splash Player: Produces lots of 'ghosting' effects at 60fps. Unwatchable.

- Avisynth: CPU intensive, lags, and ghosting effect.

Will write more shortly.

Archived