Torrent reward system

shought

Prepare yourself for some serious reading :dance2: This is what I posted at SuprBay.org(the forums of TPB and more).

---------------------------

I was watching some television and my thoughts were wandering because there was nothing on and all of the sudden I thought of something: Why do I upload torrents... What do I get back, the answer was simple: appreciation, but what if I were a person that didn't care much about appreciation? Then I wouldn't upload torrents, correct?

You don't have to argue the above, just follow my thoughts...

There are leechers and seeders in the torrent network, but I think we should distinguish one more group, the uploaders. Many people leech, too many, but acceptable levels and most have their reasons, most people seed, because they want to give back to community or just have the bandwidth spare anyway, but only a few of us(the participants of the torrent network) actually upload torrents. This uploading of torrents is vital to the torrent community, because if no one uploaded torrents, there were none to download.

I was thinking: How do we encourage people to share, to upload, what works best? I went for the simple solution, one that has always worked in the past and if the financial crisis won't pull trough too far will always keep on working: Money. Now you think: What the hell is he saying, does he want to get paid for his uploads, that's why we started this damn thing! To avoid having to pay(for services like RapidShare and others), but that's not what I meant. There's a concept out there: any software should be free, if you appreciate it and use it in your own best interests, you should donate some money. Is it 5 cents or 100 dollar/euro(pick one, I'd go for the euros atm), you should donate something.

If we could only integrate a concept like this into the torrent world, I believe a million, or even more, seeders would join our community not only as seeders, but as uploaders too!

People now show their appreciation by saying thanks, which is more than enough to keep me going, but not encouraging to make me do more, just that little extra bit. If we could integrate a 'PayPal like' service into TPB and add a 'Donate ...' box, imagine what a change that would be, how many uploaders that would attract. Some of you guys at TPB might think now, but won't the authorities come after us, because we're asking money for our services, the funny thing is, in no way you are asking money for any of your services. You could even add an 'Accept donations' check to every torrent(unchecked by default) and there you go, TPB goes free and only the uploader takes 'the heat'.

I'm not asking this to be implemented in the near future, not even in the far future, but I do believe this is the future.

I also do understand what this would require, very, very, very much time and even more effort and of course, resources.

; shought

---------------------------

• Replies 25
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping that in a year or ten(yeah, I'm serious, maybe 5 with some luck and help from friends of friends of friends, if you see what I mean, spreading the word) this concept will end up at being executed at TPB.

Well, nice idea Shought. I think you are right. I never, never pay for any software I download. But last year, I donated to some free software projects (like Alt.binz). Why? To show them some respect because I really like the software. With torrents this can work the same.

Maybe we can set up a new torrent site together :(?

If you're able to code a torrent site similar to TPB with the only different that a 'PayPal like' money/reward system is integrated, then let's get this going, if not, we need someone to do it or us, and we need a lot of servers, in sweden :(

You wanted a reply that isn't "trash talk?", well here it is.

Good idea an all, but it will never work.

The users here might agree with you, but all the ww leechers will never be caught dead donating.

In other words, it would be a pointless fight, because only 1 out of 10 users would actually donate, and as you all know; that really isn't that much to keep other ppl happy, and to keep them "going" in this business.

Yeah, someone at SuprBay replied with something similar as well, but if I got 5 cents for every 1/10 download of my torrent, I'd probably already have(calculating) 300 euro! But that's when every 1/10 user would donate, which is not the case, it would be more like 1/50, in which case it would be 60 euro. The great thing is I don't upload many torrents, I've uploaded like... 25 torrents at TPB and a little more at Demonoid.

Besides it isn't a fight, it's only a way to attract more people to switch from seeding only to uploading. It would create a certain competition between the uploaders that are already here, making the uploaders that upload crap wonder why they get nothing and maybe even quit.

Yeah, someone at SuprBay replied with something similar as well, but if I got 5 cents for every 1/10 download of my torrent, I'd probably already have(calculating) 300 euro! But that's when every 1/10 user would donate, which is not the case, it would be more like 1/50, in which case it would be 60 euro. The great thing is I don't upload many torrents, I've uploaded like... 25 torrents at TPB and a little more at Demonoid.

Besides it isn't a fight, it's only a way to attract more people to switch from seeding only to uploading. It would create a certain competition between the uploaders that are already here, making the uploaders that upload crap wonder why they get nothing and maybe even quit.

the concept of having to donate (leechers mind *pay*), for torrents would be like a repeller for leechers

Well I don't agree with you Marik, if actually 1 of 100 people donated just 2 euro, then the uploader still will get more respect then on a normal website. And when it's a popular uploader (like aXXo) he surely will benefit of it. His torrent 'Get Smart' is just downloaded 107,679 times from mininova in just ONE day!

Well, that's a lot of money for him :(

@ Shought: well I can't code myself, but I know how to work with several CMS systems like Joomla. We can try :(

dude don't compare a guy who rips dvd's and encodes them to HQ, then provides them free of charge, to a guy who's asking for payment...erm donation for torrents.

If I'd go by what you just said, than that would mean that if I paid lite 5 bucks....he will be more popular, since of course he's the guy who actually got paid.

Don't mistake something you do if your free time, with something you do at work.

Well what I try to say is that it should be an option to donate, people can choose themself if they want to donate or not. I know axxo is a big one, but he also can benefit from it. And also regular users can earn something with it. Well, I like the idea, it's something 'extra' above other torrent sites now.

What the hell, I don't get a word of what you said in that last comment Marik, except for Lite... I personally also used aXXo as an example at TPB. If the word would spread how much money he had supposedly made in just a year or something, don't you think that alone would attract thousands and thousands of new uploaders?

Edit: I agree with Esco(short :(), the option is there and it will(for some still unsure, but it's dead certain to me) make a big change in how the torrent community works.

Man, if it were just a euro someone would make in one day, he could go buy himself an ice cream and realize, by uploading torrents, I'm doing something good :( AND, more important, I get ice cream! (Do note that this argument might seem idiot, but I think more than half the torrent community is below 20 and you can't argue that anyone below 20 likes ice cream, can you!?)

ps the thread at TPB.

looks like afro from suprbay totally pawned ur punk-ass :(

looks like afro from suprbay totally pawned ur punk-ass :(

He's probably a good moderator, but he is the biggest small minded person I've ever seen, he reads every sentence separately and replies accordingly... If the answer to his question is already posted he still asks the question...

you have to admit, but the line, really gets me :(

Originally Posted by shought

I don't want money

Then why would you suggest this

LOL this discussion here :( Well shought, we can try to make a site, problem is I can't code that good. Maybe you know someone? Or we can try a CMS system like Joomla...

you have to admit, but the line, really gets me :(
Originally Posted by shought

I don't want money

Then why would you suggest this

Yeah, but this really gets me...

I don't want money

Then why would you suggest this?

Two quotes back:

I want more people to upload!

it's great that you want more people sharing but this isn't the way to go. If they want to share they will.

Doesn't that look fairly much like the answer to his question...

LOL this discussion here :( Well shought, we can try to make a site, problem is I can't code that good. Maybe you know someone? Or we can try a CMS system like Joomla...

Problem is: We have no server, I have no idea (yet) how to work with a CMS and we've got no users... We could of course spread the word out, fast, but I can't code so it would take you ages to create it on your own, since integrating a safe system that handles money is really hard, I think. If we had like ten people that could code we might get it done before the sun burns out I guess. (Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only way in which this is going to work is to implement it into one of the torrent sites, when done the others will follow)

Mmm well, a CMS like joomla is very easy and integrating a donate button with Paypal is very easy. There already are some components for it. Only thing then is that we need someone who can write a torrent system for the Joomla CMS. When that is done it's easy, and I'm sure we can find a server :pirate:

Mmm well, a CMS like joomla is very easy and integrating a donate button with Paypal is very easy. There already are some components for it. Only thing then is that we need someone who can write a torrent system for the Joomla CMS. When that is done it's easy, and I'm sure we can find a server :pirate:

Yes, but the donating should be a one click thing, standard donating would be like 10 cents(we could first test what most people donate and take that amount), but you should also be able to enter a specific amount, then just hit the button and you're done. If it would require logging in to PayPal or anything else first people won't do it, takes to much time and they don't benefit, the system must be separate from any other system and only be used for the torrent site. So the torrent site itself would need something like PayPal, people could then purchase credit(with PayPal, Credit Card or whatever) and then they can use up that credit.

Well, that's a lot harder then.... And I don't know if people would trust that. But we can always try it. Is there any coder around here?

Well, that's a lot harder then.... And I don't know if people would trust that. But we can always try it. Is there any coder around here?

There are enough, I can tell you that, but something like this will take ages and the only gain would be the site/service itself... So I don't think much people are interested in making this, by the way I only think it'll work when implemented into an already existent torrent site, because otherwise people, as you just said, won't trust it and will most likely not start using it.

Ok, well we can contact the Mininova team. They are from holland too so that's easy. And they are open for new concepts I think.

Ok, well we can contact the Mininova team. They are from holland too so that's easy. And they are open for new concepts I think.

Ugh, they're from Holland? Lol, why didn't someone tell me... What's their phone number :dance2: And address if you will :P For real, do they have a forum?

Ugh, they're from Holland? Lol, why didn't someone tell me... What's their phone number :dance2: And address if you will :P For real, do they have a forum?

Haha lol you didn't know? Yes they are :dance2: They have a forum: http://forum.mininova.org/ I'm leaving this evening or tomorrow for three days so will not react.

Archived