[SOLVED] Need help with laptop video card

AlienForce1

AlienForce1

I have a problem with video card on an ultraportable Acer Aspire 3811TZ .

This laptop has 2 video cards and it should switch between them , if it`s on battery should switch to Intel , if it`s on charger it should switch to ATI video card .

Posted Image

If I set in BIOS to `Discrete` -> only ATI video card is turned on , the laptop is more responsive and the battery lasts longer (and it doesn`t matter if the laptop is on battery , or power charger , only the ATI video card is working)

Posted Image

If I set in BIOS to `Switchable` -> both video cards are turned on , and ATI shows a problem (it doesn`t matter if the laptop is on battery , or on charger , they don`t switch and the battery is more quickly consumed .

Posted Image

Please help me !

(The laptop is installed with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 Media Refresh X86 , and obviously is clean)

(When I bought the laptop the two cards were switching as they supposed to do it - I just reinstalled the Windows)

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello.

My first question is about your Windows version, because I wasn't aware of this, "Media Refresh" means you have the special hotfix that fixes some installation issues. Nothing more, right ? (Just to be sure it's a release from Microsoft).

I think it's a driver issue. Nothing more.

So you said you reinstalled Windows, then did you install the drivers ? Or you are using the default built-in drivers ? Or you used Windows update to install the drivers ?

I don't know where to live, but I checked on the Acer site. No Acer Aspire 3811TZ on the US site. I found it on the United Kingdom / GB site (Europe). Can't have a direct link but from http://www.acer.co.u...content/drivers it seems the only OS they pack with your PC is Windows 7. Good point.

ATI:

Drivers are from 2010. You can find a VGA driver for your ATI card. They show "8.653.2" for the version number. But it's an outdated version, it's why I recommend to try the last version from AMD/ATI.

I tried from http://support.amd.c...ages/index.aspx and since you card seems to be a "Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series" (from your screenshot, can you confirm your specs ?), I finally got http://support.amd.c...ob_win7-32.aspx. Try the utility.

Description:

Important!

The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool helps you determine your notebook’s compatibility with generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers. It helps to prevent incorrect installation on incompatible notebooks which may lead to disabled features or functionality.

If you experience difficulty while using the generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, we recommend reverting to the driver provided by your notebook vendor. Please contact your notebook vendor for their most recent graphics drivers.

Intel:

Same, try to install the last drivers.

Try http://downloadcenter.intel.com or http://downloadcente...101&FamilyId=39

("Product family" > "Graphics" Then "Product line" > "Laptop graphics drivers" Then "Product name" > "Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family" Then select "Windows 7 (32-bit)")

Install first, the "Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)" Then the latest "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows 7*, Windows Vista*"

Cheers.

AlienForce1

@spootnack :

- Windows is downloaded straight from digital river servers (it's a release from Microsoft , not a moded version)

- yes , Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series

- I had some difficulties to find and install all drivers , maybe here I was wrong for not being careful enough to get the latest drivers

Right now I am at work , but tonight when I arrive at home I will follow your advice

Also RocketMan gave me a great tip . Thank you both ! :cheers:

• Administrator

I'm not sure about other things, however, before you update the drivers, AMD drivers do note one thing:

The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:

• Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks
The above has been so from a long time now, always mentioned in releasenotes. Also, your 4300 (mobile version) series isn't mentioned in the compatible list.

AlienForce1

I'm not sure about other things, however, before you update the drivers, AMD drivers do note one thing:

The above has been so from a long time now, always mentioned in releasenotes. Also, your 4300 (mobile version) series isn't mentioned in the compatible list.

... and still it did switch the video cards when I bought it , how`s that ?

Thanks DKT27.

So it means that the driver / software suite is not the mainstream version. a.k.a not the standard AMD Catalyst Software Suite.

You need special drivers that supports "Switchable Graphics".

The AMD utility should do the job. I just tried to run the setup. They said : "AMD Catalyst Mobility 12.4 (8.961) Utility (32-bit)".

If it doesn't work you could try the Acer version (8.653.2).

PS: @ AlienForce1: Do you know what you installed as graphic drivers ? You will have to uninstall these before trying new ones to avoid future issues.

AlienForce1

You need special drivers that supports "Switchable Graphics".

The AMD utility should do the job. I just tried to run the setup. They said : "AMD Catalyst Mobility 12.4 (8.961) Utility (32-bit)".

If it doesn't work you could try the Acer version (8.653.2).

PS: @ AlienForce1: Do you know what you installed as graphic drivers ? You will have to uninstall these before trying new ones to avoid future issues.

I will try your advices - I don`t remember if the video driver is from Windows , or if I installed one found on net .

AlienForce1

Following your advice , yesterday I solved the problem - video cards are switching .

Following your advice , yesterday I solved the problem - video cards are switching .

Hehe nice.

What was the situation ? No drivers installed ?

And did the AMD utility tell you the right driver to install ? Or you used the old Acer one ?

AlienForce1

- drivers were all installed , but the one for AMD video card was old and most likely wasn`t for 4330 model

- AMD utility didn`t run on my computer (incompatible with video card ...)

- in the end , after a lot of searching I did find the right driver (for AMD)

- strange part comes now : when I set the cards to switch (depending on power source) -> after restart the cards were switching , and the Intel card was drived by an AMD driver (!?!)

- anyway , today I started to reinstall that laptop , this time with attention B)

Hmm strange ! lol.

Because on the AMD website I have chosen the right components and they precisely proposed this utility to avoid software conflicts.

Where did you find the right driver finally ?

- strange part comes now : when I set the cards to switch (depending on power source) -> after restart the cards were switching , and the Intel card was drived by an AMD driver (!?!)

Yes, I think it's normal. Check : http://www.anandtech.com/show/4839/mobile-gpu-faceoff-amd-dynamic-switchable-graphics-vs-nvidia-optimus-technology/2

Good luck for your new installation. (I thought it was "clean" :lol: )

AlienForce1

Good luck for your new installation. (I thought it was "clean" :lol: )

- yes, it was clean ( I mean no malware) , but I tested a few versions AV-s (BD_TS_2013 , GData_TC_2011 -> GData_TC_2012 -> GData_TP_2013) plus a few drivers tried for the video cards ...

Archived