Linux

elohelomg

Sup guys,

Been a long while since I've posted here...but I thought i'd bring up an interesting subject, one that I've occasionally touched on perhaps.

Its been quite some time now that I have been toying with linux, and, to be quite honest, i've pretty much realized the uselessness of windows. Now, before I get bashed on, this is, after all, just an opinion.

Anyway, since I dont do much with my computer aside from hoping online, watching a few videos, and typing stuff up, I realized I could do all this on linux not only faster, but more... efficiently as well.

Since I've built my own kernel, and built the OS from ground up, selecting everything I want, and ONLY what I want, the computer seems surprises me.

Get this... on an OLD p4 with 2 gigs of ram, and an old, OLD 5400 rpm hard drive, i get a 15 second boot. Pretty darn insane, and to be quite honest, I wish i had some spare cash to try an ssd out on the new laptop that's coming.

Anyway, long story short, I was wondering, who out there uses linux, what distro if you do, and, who is interested in trying...

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of XWindow do you use for the old computer that you have? KDE and GNOME nowadays usually are too slow for old VGA, unless you know well how to tweak them. Long time ago I also did my Linux from scratch using guide from Linux From Scratch - ended up with KDE 3 as my XWindow.

Yes, Linux is amazing when being only use to browsing, watching video, and some office use (BUT without the powerfull M$ Office of course). But lack of support drivers from the manufactures, high difficulty to install and remove many programs (too many dependecies). I've had an experience where I need to install a debugger, the debugger doesn't appear in Ubuntu Synaptics, so I've downloaded, built, and then finally "make install" - but what the hell, the program is depend on xxx and xxx is already available on my system, but is too old. When I tried to upgrade the xxx from Synaptics, guess what - this xxx program also being used by a lots of others programs, and Synaptics told me I cannot upgrade it because many programs won't work. Damn it.

I know most average users won't stumble into some kinda situation like that, but I think eventually, they will, just like I did.

Now I just use BackTrack 5 R2 just to remember how it feel being Linuk geeky. Cause I need Windows for my .NET application development.

Yes, i think so,that's good but when u have facilities you lose speed,now think about windows8 , speed and facilities together.I think only thing linux has, is speed. :)

Anyway, long story short, I was wondering, who out there uses linux, what distro if you do, and, who is interested in trying...

I'm on Linux, for, um, 3 or so on years. I've used many distros, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Debian, Chakra and so on. But to be honest, Ubuntu satisfies me and I liked Unity, so I chose to stick to ubuntu. I also use Windows for Gaming and using windows-dedicated apps.

I think only thing linux has, is speed. :)

You're wrong. It's not just speed.

PS : Kernel 3.4.2 is out. Upgrade :D

Well, I've been on crux linux for a while. Amazing little distro... Not for the faint of heart of course, since you essentially have to do everything from scratch.

Anyways, I'd suggest you guys give it a try in a virtual machine. I for one run either fluxbox, or, when its a really old machine, go with blackbox. I've had the entire OS run on 16 MB of ram!

While I can see how some people really do need windows, for those daily users, there really isn't an issue. In terms of files and their dependencies, when you work with a source based distro like crux, it pulls in all the dependencies it needs, and removal of said application is as easy as pie.

They have a x64 version out, though they say its not well supported, but it is, and I've ran it on other machines perfectly fine, so, give it a shot.

Archived