How many Partitions a Hard Drive should HAVE ?

broascadilie

broascadilie

Hello to everyone ! I have 1 TB hard drive with 11 partitions ! I've seens in some places that is to much.My question is this :

Why its considered in some places that is to much and if so,why ?And how many should i make then ?

If i make less i wood see some gaining in performance ? Pls guys,i really need your opinions and with some solid arguements

Thanks !

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it should make any difference. It's good to have at least two partitions so that you can move some files from main (c:) when you want to reinstall Windows. 2 HDD's can help in performance. One for storage, other for Windows.

Cheers ;)

Tweety.Abd

It's not mandatory to have partitions, but as mara- mentioned, it's generally recommended to have 2 partitions. You can create more if you require.

• Administrator

I had replied on your previous thread:

The max partitions I would recommend is 5. More the partitions, more the system has to take care of it, plus more time it takes for disk to read things. It just increases the loads and slows down everything.

I too like things organized, hence I use 5. More than that it's just over-kill (some may say that for 5 too).

Well, it should make any difference. It's good to have at least two partitions so that you can move some files from main (c:) when you want to reinstall Windows. 2 HDD's can help in performance. One for storage, other for Windows.

Cheers ;)

Yes,brilliant idea.I have 2 partition in my laptop 1 for OS and other for data :)

Try this:-

1. Format your HDD ( I mean all your volumes )

2. Repartition into any amount of volumes as long as it's more than 4

3. Insert a flash drive in any of your USB ports

4. Now, try to install Windows 7

More partition will decrease system performace...they said.

i use 3, c for windows, d for program, c for others, such as backup, personal file.

Set win/program temp/tmp path to d. Some webkit based browser use portable, still in d.

:chug:

broascadilie

Dangit ! Thanks a lot guys and especialy @mara.I never thoat that having many partitions wood actualy hurt the overall HDD performance

Tommorow im gonna make 5 of them in total,because now it seems more reasonable and i guess in the long run will be better and to satisfy my curiosity :)

I hope 5 will be OK

Bizarre™

It doesn't matter how many partitions a hard drive has, as long as it serves its purpose.

If you're concerned about wear and tear, then buy another hard drive for backup.

Archived