How to upgrade to Adobe CS 6

Tweety.Abd

Tweety.Abd

Hey!

I downloaded Adobe CS 6, but I wanted to know what was the best way to upgrade from CS 5.5. Should I uninstall the existing version or install over it?

Thank you :)

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer a completely clean install to avoid any incompatibility or failures. ^_^

Tweety.Abd

I prefer a completely clean install to avoid any incompatibility or failures. ^_^

But the thing is I have lots of plug ins installed...

So, it gets worse, because many plug-ins might not be compatible with CS6. :think:

There's sense in Nima's suggestion. A clean install is the way to go.

About the plugins, I'm glad to report that the default directory remains unchanged. I'd backed it up and copied it back into the CS6 plugin directory with all my plugins working fine. :)

Tweety.Abd

So, it gets worse, because many plug-ins might not be compatible with CS6. :think:

Oh darn, so I'll need to install those plug-ins all over again :( so not cool :(

Tweety.Abd

About the plugins, I'm glad to report that the default directory remains unchanged. I'd backed it up and copied it back into the CS6 plugin directory with all my plugins working fine. :)

Could you please tell me how to do that (a bit more detail) :) Thank you :)

The location of my plugin directory will be different from yours.

However, if you go to your installation directory [Program Files / Program Files (x86) depending on the architecture and flavor of Photoshop installed,] you will find a folder called 'Plug-ins' containing lot of sub-folders and files (all belonging to your plugins.)

Just copy the 'Plug-in' folder somewhere else and then after installing the CS6, copy the same back to where it belonged. But, please ensure that both your CS5 and CS6 are the same architecture because that does affect certain plugins.

Technology

Hey!

I downloaded Adobe CS 6, but I wanted to know what was the best way to upgrade from CS 5.5. Should I uninstall the existing version or install over it?

Thank you :)

The best way to have clean install, however, you can just upgrade too. Which In would highly advice against it. Clean installation make thing much more convincing rather having future problems...

Technology

As for plugins, I would advice you to make a new folder from CS5 then copy to CS6...Have you tried that CS5 plugin works CS6.. :huh:

Also, if you want to increase Photoshop performance..Check this Link

Tweety.Abd

The location of my plugin directory will be different from yours.

However, if you go to your installation directory [Program Files / Program Files (x86) depending on the architecture and flavor of Photoshop installed,] you will find a folder called 'Plug-ins' containing lot of sub-folders and files (all belonging to your plugins.)

Just copy the 'Plug-in' folder somewhere else and then after installing the CS6, copy the same back to where it belonged. But, please ensure that both your CS5 and CS6 are the same architecture because that does affect certain plugins.

Thank you so much RocketMan :)

Tried this and it threw a bunch of Runtime Errors of some sorts...... seen that pop up on urs? If not, explain why ours is!

Tweety.Abd

Tried this and it threw a bunch of Runtime Errors of some sorts...... seen that pop up on urs? If not, explain why ours is!

I had the same issue, but it's partially resolved. I deleted all the other folders, except the plug-ins that I've installed and I managed to get rid of the runtime error issue. However, I'll need confirmation before I believe it's the solution.

Here's my filter list (excluding my custom filters), can anyone please confirm if it looks different than default?

Posted Image

Nope, have not experienced those runtime errors (I assume that both CS5, CS6 and plugins, as well were all of the same architecture.)

One good propensity of plugins is that the same version can repeatedly be installed over themselves without having to be uninstalled and the plugin folder can be reassigned at each re-install.

It's also a good idea to have a dedicated directory for plugins:-

Go to Edit > Preferences > Plug-Ins... > [enable] Additional Plug-Ins folder > Choose... > OK.

Archived