MKV Subtitle Edit

nightwolf

Hey everyone, i have this MKV movie with English, Spanish and french subtitles. I used MKV Tool Nix to remove the three subtitles, now i have the movie and 3 files which are the 3 subtitles as separate file, i did this because i want to edit one of the subtitle but my problem is that all the previously mentioned subtitles have .mks as extension so anyone can help find a way to convert these MKS files to SRT so i can edit them

Thank You

• Replies 11
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To edit the subtitles first you have to extract them from the mkv. This can be done in two ways:

1. Using command line:

http://mytechieself.blogspot.in/2011/01/extracting-subtitles-from-mkv.html

2. Using MKVExtractGUI (recommended):

* Download the latest version of MKVExtractGUI:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvextractgui-2/files/MKVExtractGUI-2.2.2.9.zip/download

* Extract the files into the mkvtoolnix folder and run MKVExtractGUI2.exe

* Extract the subtitle files and edit them using notepad or your favourite editor.

Thanks Adrean and shamu726 for your advice, i tried Notepad and Notepad++, but there is just symbols instead of the time for each line although the subtitle is clear but i need the time for each line this why the solution given by ck_kent was the best because Aegisub showed me both the timeline and the subtitle itself, thanks guys.

But now i have another problem after finishing with the subtitle how can i reintegrated into my .mkv file ?? i guess i need your help again :)

Thanks Adrean and shamu726 for your advice, i tried Notepad and Notepad++, but there is just symbols instead of the time for each line although the subtitle is clear but i need the time for each line this why the solution given by ck_kent was the best because Aegisub showed me both the timeline and the subtitle itself, thanks guys.

But now i have another problem after finishing with the subtitle how can i reintegrated into my .mkv file ?? i guess i need your help again :)

Did you use MKVExtractGUI to extract subtitle? If you did, the subtitle would be in srt format, which would be editable using notepad.

Once you've finished editing, use mkvmerge GUI to mux your movie file and finished sub. Here's a guide if you need one:

http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/general-video/216-how-to-add-subtitles-to-mkv-files-using-mkvmerge-gui

You can use mkvmerge from mkvtoolnix to merge the video, audio, and subtitles into an mkv file. You can either use command line or the GUI.

Hey everyone, i have this MKV movie with English, Spanish and french subtitles. I used MKV Tool Nix to remove the three subtitles, now i have the movie and 3 files which are the 3 subtitles as separate file, i did this because i want to edit one of the subtitle but my problem is that all the previously mentioned subtitles have .mks as extension so anyone can help find a way to convert these MKS files to SRT so i can edit them

Thank You

Try to use this 'Any Video Converter Ultimate'

Links

Sharecode: file/6234015/ultimate.4.3.7.rar.html

use MKVToolnix

To edit the subtitle files you can use Subtitle Edit. I use it and it's a great program.

To add the subtitles to the movie you can use the same program you used to remove them. :)

Thanks everyone here's how i did it:

1- I used MKV Merge GUI 5.2.0 to extract the subtitle and to extract the movie without any subs (Now i have 2 files: movie.mkv & movie.mks)

2- I used Aegisub 2.1.9 to edit the subtitle (movie.mks) and saved it as movie.ass

3- I used Subtitle Edit 3.2.2 to save movie.ass as movie.srt

4- Now i have 2 files (movie.mkv & movie.srt) I used MKV Merge GUI 5.2.0 again to add the edited subtitle to the movie

5- Took a long bath after this marathon :P

Thanks everyone here's how i did it:

1- I used MKV Merge GUI 5.2.0 to extract the subtitle and to extract the movie without any subs (Now i have 2 files: movie.mkv & movie.mks)

2- I used Aegisub 2.1.9 to edit the subtitle (movie.mks) and saved it as movie.ass

3- I used Subtitle Edit 3.2.2 to save movie.ass as movie.srt

4- Now i have 2 files (movie.mkv & movie.srt) I used MKV Merge GUI 5.2.0 again to add the edited subtitle to the movie

5- Took a long bath after this marathon :P

You can use Aegisub to save .ass as .srt directly without having to use Subtitle Edit. Just go to "File->Export Subtitles..." from menu, click "Export..." and select SubRip (*.srt) from the "Save as type:" drop-down menu.

One less step, so u can take your bath sooner :)

Archived