rudrax

Every time I press the shutdown button in my computer, shows an error

Posted Image

Any suggestion guys? :unsure:

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing to ask is whether or not you actually use Sidebar? If not, as I recall you can right-click it to disable it. In any case, with sidebar.exe no longer in memory (i.e. close it and use Task Manager to ensure that it's gone), does the problem still happen?

I use sidebar and I need it..I can close it before shutting down the window then obviously the error message will not appear anymore..But I do not want that..previously I had no problem in shutting down windows with sidebar.exe running, then why now?

Every time I press the shutdown button in my computer, shows an error

Do you honestly use this method to shutdown your system. :o

Yes, and when Windows is shutdown by normal means, does Sidebar still throw the error? Also, have you added an new/updated widgets to it recently?

Do you honestly use this method to shutdown your system. :o

Well I am not talking about the physical button BTW..Usually everyone uses the shutdown button in the start menu and obviously me too..

Yes, and when Windows is shutdown by normal means, does Sidebar still throw the error? Also, have you added an new/updated widgets to it recently?

If I shutdown windows with sidebar.exe running, the error remains..I don't know if windows update did some changes, but I manually never installed any new gadgets except the AVAST one.

Did you try this:-

1. Run an elevated command prompt (this is important.)

2. Type the following

SFC.EXE /scanfile=C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
3. Enter

If the above fails try the following command:-

1. Run an elevated command prompt (this is important.)

2. Type the following

SFC.EXE /scanfile="C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe"
3. Enter

oh damn..its a problem of password manager..I just noticed that if I exit sticky password before shutting down windows, the error does not appear..Well, its kind of weird.

Maybe you should try some other password manager? Seems like it's interferring with your windows installation. I'd recommend uninstalling it and using Norton Identity Safe (currently only available with NIS/N360 or as standalone BETA https://identitysafe-beta.norton.com/)

Ps. You should really run a full sfc /scannow

Maybe you should try some other password manager? Seems like it's interferring with your windows installation. I'd recommend uninstalling it and using Norton Identity Safe (currently only available with NIS/N360 or as standalone BETA https://identitysafe-beta.norton.com/)

Ps. You should really run a full sfc /scannow

Well, thanks for your suggestions..I already uninstalled sticky pass and installed last pass..I use avast so not a chance for norton <_<

Well, thanks for your suggestions..I already uninstalled sticky pass and installed last pass..I use avast so not a chance for norton <_<

Nono, just the password manager :). It's called identity safe :)

Nono, just the password manager :). It's called identity safe :)

Oh I didn't notice the standalone Beta link..

Archived