How to Stop System Slowdown resulting from continuous use ?

majithia23

allright guys ..

i have seen this many a times ,

that if you keep using your PC for a continuous period of time , say for 2 or 3 days at a stretch , it tends to slow down ,

like it goes sluggish .

new tabs take more time to open , pages take longer to load , videos start to stutter in browser and in media players , programs take longer to open , and even the explorer windows seem to take a longer time to respond !

do a system restart , and its all back to normal .

all fresh and ready to go .

no delay any where to be seen . quick n fast ....

for eg i just did system restart and even now Firefox is opened with 37 tabs running , but its still quite fast and is working like a breeze .

no lags what so ever . !

keep the system running a little longer and it will for sure start to age and go all rickety ....

and i have seen this on systems with decent moderate specs and on systems with quite a good config ....

dont know if its only me who experiences this , or does it happen to all ?

i have tried RAM management tools , but they hardly seem to work . and some have even proved to be foot in the mouth ,

meaning , if the system is still running , might be a lil slower , run a RAM manager and it ironically freezes everything !!!

so dont know ...

or do you know of a better RAM manager ?

or some tricks to stop this from happening ?

or any thing else helpful regarding the issue ???

what say ............

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would download process explorer and check to see if there any hardware interuptions and how high the rate is on it.

Sometimes degrading hard drives can have effects kinda like a cd skipping when playing in a track. It will effect the whole system not just when accessing data.

Average interuption rate of a hard drive should be between 0.10 and 2.0 % of your cpu when using a 5400RPM and 7200RPM drive. Anything higher usually resaults in the hard drive starting to degrade in the performance side. "doesn't mean it's bad or has bad clusters" but it does mean it's time for replacement before something does go.

the only slowdowns I do actually feel is when I play certain videos encoded with a certain setting with 2 of my folding@home clients running, one for the CPU and the other for the GPU.. disabling them brings back performance to top shape, and I do leave my system powered on 24/7 as much as possible and it only gets refreshed from the next power outage that occurs in this side of my town..

have you also tried running Extensible Counter List to disable all performance monitors running in your system?

Posted Image

I just ran mine, and was surprised to see that a few .NET services are enabled, probably from the latest patches since I last disabled all of them..

EDIT: if you leave the system powered for a long time like I do, probably scheduling a restart, say when your asleep at around 4 or 5 in the morning, will help your rig get refreshed once you wake up?

I would try to do a quick defrag, also try a different size for the page file or let windows control it and see how it goes...

I know that when you are using up RAM when you stop using whatever program it doesn't completely empty and there can make the machine have to access the hard drive to use free space there. What OS and specs are you running?

-BTY

I would download process explorer and check to see if there any hardware interuptions and how high the rate is on it.

Sometimes degrading hard drives can have effects kinda like a cd skipping when playing in a track. It will effect the whole system not just when accessing data.

Average interuption rate of a hard drive should be between 0.10 and 2.0 % of your cpu when using a 5400RPM and 7200RPM drive. Anything higher usually resaults in the hard drive starting to degrade in the performance side. "doesn't mean it's bad or has bad clusters" but it does mean it's time for replacement before something does go.

all right thanks for the heads up pope . i ll just download Process explorer and see what it tells ...

and regards the HDD , it sure makes sense . but you see this machine is hardly an year old . so ...

but still , how do you go about checking the data interruption rate .. ?

the only slowdowns I do actually feel is when I play certain videos encoded with a certain setting with 2 of my folding@home clients running, one for the CPU and the other for the GPU.. disabling them brings back performance to top shape, and I do leave my system powered on 24/7 as much as possible and it only gets refreshed from the next power outage that occurs in this side of my town..

have you also tried running Extensible Counter List to disable all performance monitors running in your system?

Posted Image

I just ran mine, and was surprised to see that a few .NET services are enabled, probably from the latest patches since I last disabled all of them..

EDIT: if you leave the system powered for a long time like I do, probably scheduling a restart, say when your asleep at around 4 or 5 in the morning, will help your rig get refreshed once you wake up?

hey thanks for the reply tangkungan .

i just downloaded the tool and it sure shows things turned on and the .NET performance things also turned on .

do we turn it off ? and if so how ? safe ? does it make a difference ?

and regarding refreshing my PC after a restart , well buddy that is what my query is about ...

why does it need a restart to come back to its senses , if it keeps running continuously for some time in the first place ....?

something must be happening in the background that takes the toll on the machine's performance !!

what is it ? and how to deal with it ?

I would try to do a quick defrag, also try a different size for the page file or let windows control it and see how it goes...

all rite ... lemme try out ....

I know that when you are using up RAM when you stop using whatever program it doesn't completely empty and there can make the machine have to access the hard drive to use free space there. What OS and specs are you running?

-BTY

yeah i know that circaal . thats why i said i tried these RAM managers but to no use ...

the system is a Win 7 x86 with 3 Gigs of ram and a 2.1 Ghz dual core processor ..

disabling the "constant and always-on" performance monitors in windows is safe and it sure does help alleviate the performance in the long run.. I can liken it to a runner, with a lot of bags to carry.. we lessen the unwanted cargo, and the running goes faster.. why not give it a shot and leave your system up and running, and yeah, CleanMem is definitely king for memory management.. at one point, my Win7 64-bit idled at 900MB+.. now that's squeeky clean mem management..

@tangkungan

how do you go about " disabling the "constant and always-on" performance monitors in windows " ?

i ll try out cleanmem ...

the free should suffice or any added benefit for the pro ?

try this and there is immediate gain

@echo off

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe

explorer.exe

all right thanks for the heads up pope . i ll just download Process explorer and see what it tells ...

and regards the HDD , it sure makes sense . but you see this machine is hardly an year old . so ...

but still , how do you go about checking the data interruption rate .. ?

As soon as you open process explorer "interrupts" should be listed at the top of the list.

It's kinda laid out like your task manager. While you have it open you could checkout other processes to see if anything is jumping out.

As far as your drive being under 1yr, the one thing I can tell you about a hard drive is it's guaranteed to die :( could be 5sec till 15yrs no one knows but it's gonna eventually... Hopefully it does it within warranty so you get a free replacement. :)

Another thing you could do is try and turn off indexing, I have had tons of machines speed up from xp to windows 7 a good 20%

There are some other os related stuff to turn off too

Scheduled OS items

Remote Differential Compression

Tablet functions

Windows Meeting Space

Ready Boost

@tangkungan

how do you go about " disabling the "constant and always-on" performance monitors in windows " ?

by simply unchecking all items listed in the Performance Counter List.. and yeah, the free version of CleanMem is sufficient enough.. as of this post, my system is idling at 1.2gb ram..

@tangkungan

by simply unchecking all items listed in the Performance Counter List.. and yeah, the free version of CleanMem is sufficient enough.. as of this post, my system is idling at 1.2gb ram..

Yeah free is efficient, The only thing is in free version, you have to manually clinks the software to work, rather then working automatically.

thanks technology and tangkungan

for the heads up .... :)

To be honest, W7 manages memory just fine imo...no need for a memory optimizing app. Personally I've not experienced the slowdowns your speaking of thank goodness cuz I'd go mental until I tracked down the culprit(s)...lol

FWIW, the best way to make windows more snappy and responsive is to install windows on an SSD drive...the difference is nothing short of mind-blowing vs HDDs. A fast 60GB ssd boot drive (using a SandForce controller) can now be had for $100 or less and there is absolutely nothing else that'll speed up your rig like an ssd. Be warned tho...once you go ssd, you'll NEVER go back to an HDD boot drive.;)

yeah thanks for the heads up Max ,,,

an SSD enabled rig is on my priority ,

but it will have to wait a little for the time being .

might get a Laptop with an SSD drive some time soon ,

and yes i too have read that the performance on an SSD is quite good ... ;)

Archived