Help with registry

Technology

Hey, I have deleted or fix registry, with the help of softwares. I though, that unless registry can be deleted with the help of software, but I didn't realized instead fixing the registry, it creates more problems. Now I having problems with windows including with other software's getting freeze suddenly. Nevertheless, I also did several malware scans, to check everything is ok and it was.. I am guessing it is registry problem.. Please help

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That why we all recomend a backup before start clean ore play, registry is not for noobs, and it might be the only way to make a reformat, if lucky you can try push system back to a date before you clean the registry.

You can maybe do this put your windows disk in cd-dvd drive, go to start menu-run and write this SFC /Scannow push enter and follow the instruks, this can maybe repair your windows registry but still you got the problem with your programs drivers, so might do a reformat and new install windows with your programs it gives the best result. Good luck, hope you remember backup next time :)

> do a system restore .

or

>pop in a windows installation disc , enter command prompt , run these commands -- chkdsk/r , chkdsk/f , sfc/scannow .

or

>installation disc not available . go to safe mode and run these commands .

or

>reinstall the programs .

unknownasphyxiated

every registry cleaner software usually have backup option

try to restore it back

sfc /scannow won't help as its only deal with system files, not registry

try repair install

I don't have previous system restore, I have only recent one's. I try to run chkdsk scan, but it is telling me that I don't have permission. It is possible that upgrading will fix registry problems.

Can you please name the registry programs and the anti-malware programs that you used? Also, what is your operating system?

Can you please name the registry programs and the anti-malware programs that you used? Also, what is your operating system?

agreed.. have you also tried combofix, just for the fun of it? if you're not familiar with it, don't even proceed..

Like others have stated, ALWAYS backup your registry before messing with it. And yes, most registry cleaners/"fixers" ask you to make a backup before applying changes and/or do it automatically. If you didn't follow the advise of the program it's not really anyone elses fault but your own. Take the advice others have given here and see if whatever program you used made a backup for you.

The thing I will not, never have, and never will recommend using is system restore. Besides it being a resource hog, all it's good for is keeping malware/virus on your PC. If your PC made a restore point when you had something on your PC, restoring it will also restore any baddies that are in that restore point. Based on personal experience it has ALWAYS done moore harm than good, even if your restore points are perfectly clean.

I have used tuneup utilities 2012 to clean up and defrag registry. Sometimes I also use ccleaner to clean registry. I do acknowledge that it is my fault, that I haven't done registry backup. Nevertheless, I also used malwarebytes, kaspersky bootable scan, superantispyware and hitman pro including my eset scanning to see any registry has been corrupted with virus. Also my operating system is windows 7 ultimate.

You could try this,available at Major Geeks

RefreshPC

Reset the settings on your PC safely and easily. RefreshPC is a utility to return select registry settings and all Windows services to their default state. This can fix many problems with your computer. RefreshPC is a very easy to use and safe utility for fixing misconfigurations in your services and in the registry itself. RefreshPC will do the following: Reduce errors in the Event Viewer. Fix service misconfigurations that may be causing problems including slow boots. Clean your temporary folders. Reset key registry entries back to their default values. RefreshPC can also be used to help undo bad tweaks done by some tweaking programs. This program is a must have if you want to return your PC back to it's normal standard configuration easily and quickly.

You could try this,available at Major Geeks

RefreshPC

Reset the settings on your PC safely and easily. RefreshPC is a utility to return select registry settings and all Windows services to their default state. This can fix many problems with your computer. RefreshPC is a very easy to use and safe utility for fixing misconfigurations in your services and in the registry itself. RefreshPC will do the following: Reduce errors in the Event Viewer. Fix service misconfigurations that may be causing problems including slow boots. Clean your temporary folders. Reset key registry entries back to their default values. RefreshPC can also be used to help undo bad tweaks done by some tweaking programs. This program is a must have if you want to return your PC back to it's normal standard configuration easily and quickly.

I will to use this software, but I found online that Free Windiws Repair Registry is also good, any suggestion?

I have used tuneup utilities 2012 to clean up and defrag registry.

If you're damn sure it's TuneUp Utilities 2012, just go to the main interface > Status & recommendations > Undo changes > Undo changes (select the backup and just restore it.)

If you don't see any backup, here there are 2 possibilities:-

1. You haven't configured your TuneUp Utilities 2012 correctly (or someone else who uses your system, screwed it up for you.)

2. The issue you're facing was not caused by TuneUp Utilities 2012 as you supposed.

I think the one you mention is more of a reg cleaner,so go with RefreshPC.Good luck and let us know if it works.

I used Refreshpc, yesterday, but I didn't saw much difference with the windows. Windows is still freezing suddenly.

did you try to restore using Tune Up Rescue Center??

Due to the registry errors in windows including malfunctioning other software’s, I uninstalled the Tune up 2012 couple days ago. After that incident from Tune up, I am finding alternatives to fix my registry. Even restore point is becoming useless. Someone told, me Sardu as some utilities that assist in fixing the registry including with other problems, but the problem is Sardu utilities is bit difficult to understand.

You could download a Windows Rescue CD iso from the internet and burn it to a disc.

Boot it up and choose System Restore from the tools list to attempt to restore before you made the registry changes!!!!!

Or to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as running other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

i think there might be one more thing that you can try .

if you are running a version of windows which is low in hierarchy , try running a windows installation disc of higher hierarchy and then select " Upgrade my Windows . "

eg - if running Windows Home Premium , Run a installation disc with Windows Professional or Windows Ultimate .

you get what i mean ...! ;)

this would repair any damaged and corrupted system files of previous installation and install new Windows System Files and would spare you from Reformatting from scratch .

just my wild guess of repairing the existing copy of Windows . Dont know if it would work or not .! :P

come to think of it , i am now eager to know if this is a feasible way of repairing a Windows Installation . :think:

any experienced member would like to throw some light .... ???

thanks unknownasphyxiated for the links ....

so i guess my guess was some what right ... ;)

Hey guys, thanks for your effort to help me out. Last night I try to repair my windows, but it didn't work, even trying with different softwares. This makes me frustrated, so I installed the windows and softwares from the scratch. Windows was clean install. However, after few mins I experience again the same problem, which is computer getting freeze. But the problem is when I watch videos or do work, it gets stuck suddenly. Even though, I did clean installation of windows including with softwares. When ever it gets frozen, I need to log of and back again. I have no idea what is causing this. I though, it was registry problem, but it turns out it is not. Sometime else is causing this crash and frozen. Any suggestion, what should I do?

Archived