I need help with my computer

ROMANTICGUY50

ROMANTICGUY50

I have both Ubuntu and XP on my computer. Both on their own HD's I am able to use Unbuntu to get online. How ever when I try to get into XP. I get a black screen about hardware issue. I cant get into Safe mode or a last known Config that works. If I can't get into safe mode. When I get on the black screen, none of the options will work. Does anyone have any suggestions. This problem started last night.. Before that it was working fine. I don;t know what I did to cause the problem Any suggestions would be helpful Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Views 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try to see if any of the XP system files are damaged or not, use Linux liveCD or one of those portable/micro Windows versions to boot, if your profile ain't corrupt then there's a chance you can salvage the system otherwise you'll have to reinstall Windows or use a separate user profile with XP.

You can also try the winXP CD to repair the current installation btw I'm not sure how'll that go as I've not used that mode(system repair) for over two years now since win7 came along but you should be good as long as you're able to isolate the real problem causing this mess.

ROMANTICGUY50

Try to see if any of the XP system files are damaged or not, use Linux liveCD or one of those portable/micro Windows versions to boot, if your profile ain't corrupt then there's a chance you can salvage the system otherwise you'll have to reinstall Windows or use a separate user profile with XP.

You can also try the winXP CD to repair the current installation btw I'm not sure how'll that go as I've not used that mode(system repair) for over two years now since win7 came along but you should be good as long as you're able to isolate the real problem causing this mess.

I have two hard drives one with xp and the other with ubuntu which is working. I don't have Any CD's for the computer Without being able to get into safemode I can't do a check disk or system retore XP starts to boot up and then in goes into the black screen about the hardware error

I have two hard drives one with xp and the other with ubuntu which is working. I don't have Any CD's for the computer Without being able to get into safemode I can't do a check disk or system retore XP starts to boot up and then in goes into the black screen about the hardware error
If there is a hardware error you can probably diagnose it within Ubuntu, provided that you're able to mount the winXP hard drive, there are diskcheck utilities for linux & you could also try windows apps(use wine) from within ubuntu btw I'm not an expert about linux but without an XP repair disc or setup files there's very little chance that you'll be able to salvage your current user profile for XP !

ROMANTICGUY50

I think what might have happened that I downloaded an update and that is when the problem started. I just really frustrarting to me that this had to happen cause if I have to reformat a lot of info won't be able to be replaced.

you can also just log onto ubuntu ,copy all your data from the Windows HDD via ubuntu and then reformat Windows .

or

prepare a live linux USB . go for Puppy linux , small , fast n easy . plug it in , boot your pc via it , salvage your data and then reformat the HDD .

or

download a Windows XP ISO , burn it on the disc and boot your PC into it and start the system repair process . run the chkdsk commands , sfc/scannow , remove any new installed programs or hardware via cmd . there are many posts for downloading the windows xp in the nsane forums .

or

go for Hirens Boot CD . try system restore from there or you can even go in for the mini xp mode .

try and see ,

there are many options that can safely bring you pc back to life or atleast salvage your data .

no need of reformatting and fearing complete loss ..

ROMANTICGUY50

That the problem could have been caused by a hardware or sodtware channge and that beacause of it It will not will allow Windows to start. Can;t get into safe mode or reconfig to a point when it was working,. Which is a roral pain.

you not getting the point .

theres no need to work with no bootable Windows .

create a bootable disc or usb with linux or Hiren's Boot CD or Windows XP ,

" boot into it " .

this way the failed windows is totally bypassed . no need to worry about safe mode or reconfig , coz you will then be using these tools from the live booted media .

just create what ever media you want to ,

plug it in ,

start the pc ,

go into BIOS ,

enter Boot options ,

and scroll to your cd or usb ,

click on it ,

and the PC will boot into it .

you can also try pressing F9 or any other such key ( specific for you BIOS ) repeatedly after powering on and it would directly go onto boot option screen .

also make sure to check that the BIOS is enabled to boot into other media other than the HDD . look for any such options in the BIOS and turn it on if they are not already ..

good luck .

I don't think he wants to format. He wants to diagnos the issue. Best way IMO is use a bootdisk like Hiren's BootCD. Boot into it and find a problem called Blue Screen View. Then navagate to the minidump folder under the windows directory through the program. If you have the correct settings the machine will pull up the BSOD errors and tell you what driver is causing the fail. Because I think it is giving you a BSOD but some machines just reboot without showing it. Let me know if you need more help.

-BTY

ROMANTICGUY50

Thank you for all your help. I app. it very much. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again and If I have any questions will post them. Thia is all new to me. Thanks again.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

system restore would probably have fixed you up, perhaps too late now cos your post is 20 days old.

Other best option is beg borrow or steal a copy of ERD Commander boot disk, lots of options including flie checker/repair, cmd prompt...chkdsk /f. I.m sure it would help you.

Archived