Help making Firefox add-on compatible.

menot

Sorry for bothering you! I couldn't decide where to start a thread.

I have just found a firefox add-on called Proxybar. It can only ve used with version 3.6.

https://addons.mozil...addon/proxybar/

I'd like to use it with the latest version of Firefox. I tried to modify the "install.rdf" file but, extension didn't work.

Aynone can help me,please?

• Replies 13
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Supremo Phantom

it is very difficult (in fact, almost impossible) to manipulate an add-on in v9 .. it does not give an easy way to directly go to the rdf file of the add-on and even after editing, does not pick up the changes. this is why i am still sticking with v3.6 ... all add-on that i use work.

anytime there is an upgrade, it is easy to locate and edit the rdf to make it compatible. besides, 3.6 keeps updating its security features to keep it safe to use.

i don't find v9 so attractive yet to loose all the add-on (about 30 that i have installed) just to upgrade.

• Administrator

@menot & Supremo Phantom: Try Add-on Compatibility Reporter. It makes all your addons to compatible. In addition to that, all the addons will be compatible by default in Firefox 10. :)

ROMANTICGUY50

@menot & Supremo Phantom: Try Add-on Compatibility Reporter. It makes all your addons to compatible. In addition to that, all the addons will be compatible by default in Firefox 10. :)

How Cool Glad to hear it

@Supremo Phantom,

Unfortuntely, newer versions are far more faster. Therefore, using older version is not well everytime.

@DKT27,

Thank you for moving my post to a suitable place. I also thank you four your answer. I'll try the add-on you addressed. Do you have any idea how long it takes to be rebuilt a new addon that compatible to newer version, after reported?

• Administrator

@menot: Just install the addon and restart Firefox once (or twice). All addons will be compatible. :)

Addons are not actually changed themselves, this addon just disables compatibility checking of Firefox, hence, all the incompatible addons start working. No need to manually edit rdf files of addons. ^_^

the 'Nightly Tester Tools' addon does the same thing. Install that, then use the option 'force addon compatability' at the bottom of the menu you get.

• Administrator

the 'Nightly Tester Tools' addon does the same thing. Install that, then use the option 'force addon compatability' at the bottom of the menu you get.

True. But Add-on compatibility reporter is officially made by Mozilla, and Nightly Tester Tools themselves recommend it if you want to just make addons compatible.

• Administrator

Yea, I've used the Add-on Compatibility Reporter like forever to keep Google toolbar. B)

What reason do you need Google toolbar for? If I can help you find an alternative. :)

Yea, I've used the Add-on Compatibility Reporter like forever to keep Google toolbar. B)

What reason do you need Google toolbar for? If I can help you find an alternative. :)

Well I use Google a lot, so it's nice to have it there. Also so that I can default it to a different country's site than which I'm currently located in. I've used it for years, so it's hard to get rid of it now.. I also like the translate option.. So all in all, it's either Google toolbar, or moving to Chrome, but I really like Firefox.

• Administrator

Well I use Google a lot, so it's nice to have it there. Also so that I can default it to a different country's site than which I'm currently located in. I've used it for years, so it's hard to get rid of it now.. I also like the translate option.. So all in all, it's either Google toolbar, or moving to Chrome, but I really like Firefox.

I hated to loose it. But I replaced it with Firefox's build in search bar, the one that allows to use different search engines.

Then as for country, if you want to use US. version, just go on google.com/ncr, it automatically becomes default as far as I know.

As for translating, try this addon.

One of the reasons I like Firefox. You can endlessly customize it the way you want. See my pic:

8QdDk.png

The Google, Wikipedia, TPB, Youtube buttons you see :rolleyes: is my the Firefox's build in search bar that's customized. :)

I really recommend moving away from Google Toolbar. It was never properly optimized for Firefox and it's a hog, as in, it slows down the browser.

Interesting suggestion, but I'd have a long withdrawal from it.. :P

Why'd it slow down the browser as long as you don't use the prefetch option? That's interesting, I'll have to investigate if it really does that.

Archived