How to network a computer to home wifi without using usb adapter or pci card?

sanjoa

Hi, guys! How you doin'? Is there any piece of hardware that allows you to connect a computer to a Wi-Fi home network without using PCI boards or those USB Wi-Fi adapters that requires installing drivers? I mean a piece of hardware that only gets connected to RJ45 LAN port, you configure it, and it gets connected to Wi-Fi home network without any driver installation. Thanks in advance

• Replies 19
  • Views 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

impossible, but simple Ethernet Switch would let you to connect to network... (after configuration)

Ethernet Switch? what's that?

you're typical gateway.. the ones used to connect a bunch of computer together, like in computer shops..

VoIP_Gateway_UTT16_Ports_Series.jpg

lolx... Atasas beat me to it.. :showoff:

and why should I use that if it's a wireless network?

that's why Atasas and I and I guess a whole lot of other members would agree, that what you are trying to achieve is somewhat impossible to do with the current state of technology we have.. coz going wireless will definitely entail either installing a wireless PCI-e or USB dongle to connect to a hotspot, and those things do require a driver to run it..

Hi, guys! How you doin'? Is there any piece of hardware that allows you to connect a computer to a Wi-Fi home network without using PCI boards or those USB Wi-Fi adapters that requires installing drivers? I mean a piece of hardware that only gets connected to RJ45 LAN port, you configure it, and it gets connected to Wi-Fi home network without any driver installation. Thanks in advance

impossible, but simple Ethernet Switch would let you to connect to network... (after configuration)

that's why Atasas and I and I guess a whole lot of other members would agree, that what you are trying to achieve is somewhat impossible to do with the current state of technology we have.. coz going wireless will definitely entail either installing a wireless PCI-e or USB dongle to connect to a hotspot, and those would things do require a driver to run it..

Different way of connecting, but for internet connection you either get one or other as I am unaware of Internet dongle without additional configuration but RJ LAN only

OK. And what about connecting an USB dongle to a USB to RJ45 adapter?

OK. And what about connecting an USB dongle to a USB to RJ45 adapter?

that dongle, if there exists one, would still need a certain driver to be compatible with the RJ45 port.. those dongle babies simply don't plug & play right, not unless they're of older models, which are usually supported by the recently released OS version of your choice, in their generic drivers.. if it's a new model, developers would be cramming to get a new driver out for it to be supported..

Cheapest way to do it:

• Buy ASUS RT-N12 wireless router.
  • Install dd-wrt.
  • Configure it as wireless client bridge.
  • Connect it to your rj45 port.

I've done these things before.

excellent suggie there.. but seems the OP wants an easier way of doing things.. he doesn't seem to want to meddle even with drivers, moreso with completely reflashing a router and configuring it, i guess..

You can actually buy 'Ethernet to Wireless' adapters (Wireless Bridge). So you would plug the ethernet cable into your PC, plug the other end into the adapter and then configure it (I guess).

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B003KPBRRW

You'll probably be able to find something cheaper which does the same ;)

You can actually buy 'Ethernet to Wireless' adapters (Wireless Bridge). So you would plug the ethernet cable into your PC, plug the other end into the adapter and then configure it (I guess).

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003KPBRRW

You'll probably be able to find something cheaper which does the same ;)

Very nice find, but for the OP, do try to read the user comments about this.. --> Here <--

Wireless ethernet bridges costs more than a router. Asus rt-n12 is about $40 USD and when you are done you can reconfigure it as a router and use it elsewhere. If you choose to buy wireless bridge the best ones are from Asus.

Try the WL-330gE from Asus and you won't be sorry, although I still recommend that you get the Asus rt-n12 router and install dd-wrt or tomato firmware on it. The router will have a more powerful cpu, more ram, and a wider data bus to handle many more simultaneous connections without getting saturated.

The rt-n12 is unbrickable by typical means, there is no special procedure to get dd-wrt on it, just install it like a normal firmware update. Anytime a firmware update fails on the broadcom XLR series the system brings up the mini firmware restore environment for you to flash a stock firmware, it's not like previous routers where bad flash would need jtag tools to recover.

if you own the place get the house wired. best thing i ever did

Archived